Lasso 8.6 memory hog

Andybacc
IIS7, win server 2008
I handle lot of images at runtime.

1) lasso handles ram for imagemagick
2) by default imagemagick is set to use all the possible RAM
3) lasso eats all the memory and never release
4) lasso site (the only one i set) crashes reporting a memory issue
5) issue is between lasso and imagemagick

Code is properly tweaked, so can't be a bad programming causing this.

Imagemagick documentation says its possible to add a policy.xml file with definition of memory, area and disk limit ecc...

At first i set MAGICK_TIME_LIMIT parameter to 1 day : this causes the restarting of imagemagick which couses lasso site to crash.
Now i'm working on other parameters ... memory,area and disk (seems like working properly)

Till now the best i did was scheduler a periodical restart of lasso site : not functional at all.

Anybody found a better solution ?

Re: Lasso 8.6 memory hog

Wade Maxfield
On 7/10/2012, at 4:00 PM, Andybacc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody found a better solution ?

Set your image variable to NULL after you're finished with it.

I was compositing 2 images as part of a scaling and padding exercise, then assigning the resulting image back to the original variable like:

#blankImage->(Convert: (#myImage->Format));
#blankImage->(Scale: -Width=300, -Height=300);
#blankImage->(Composite: #myImage, -Left=((300 - #myImage->Width) / 2), -Top=((300 - #myImage->Height) / 2));
#myImage = NULL; // prevents Lasso memory size from being a runaway
#myImage = #blankImage;

Each JPG image was less than 300px to start with. Without having the NULL assignment Lasso would quickly consume 2GB+ after 200-300 images being processed, eventually causing Lasso to be killed by the OS. After adding the NULL, dealing to a batch of 9000 images went without a hitch. I also added one after the image had been saved back to disk, ready for the next run.

This was with Lasso 8.5.6 / Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.7

 - Wade

Re: Lasso 8.6 memory hog

I prefer to use IM from the command line through shell from
tagswap or os_process.  Thus Lasso never consumes RAM that will
not be released until a restart of the Lasso site.  I can do
more through the command line than I can through Lasso's image tags.

IM never "restarts".  It runs commands within given parameters
then exits, or it fails to run.

As far as setting environment variables for the Lasso-installed
version of IM, I don't know whether that is possible.  Did you
verify that the settings you provided actually took effect?

Moreover, why do you think that setting the MAGICK_TIME_LIMIT to
a day would be a good thing?  If a single IM process takes a
day, then you have a serious problem!  A single image process
should take milliseconds, or batch processes may take seconds
and seldom more than a few minutes.

--steve

On 10/6/12 at 8:00 PM, [hidden email] (Andybacc) pronounced:

>IIS7, win server 2008
>I handle lot of images at runtime.
>
>1) lasso handles ram for imagemagick
>2) by default imagemagick is set to use all the possible RAM
>3) lasso eats all the memory and never release
>4) lasso site (the only one i set) crashes reporting a memory issue
>5) issue is between lasso and imagemagick
>
>Code is properly tweaked, so can't be a bad programming causing this.
>
>Imagemagick  documentation says
><http://www.imagemagick.org/script/resources.php>   its possible to add a
>policy.xml file with definition of memory, area and disk limit ecc...
>
>At first i set MAGICK_TIME_LIMIT parameter to 1 day : this causes the
>restarting of imagemagick which couses lasso site to crash.
>Now i'm working on other parameters ... memory,area and disk (seems like
>working properly)
>
>Till now the best i did was scheduler a periodical restart of lasso site :
>not functional at all.
>
>Anybody found a better solution ?

>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Lasso 8.6 memory hog

Andybacc
Setting NULL the variable after processing images was the easier thing to do but didn'help so look forward through IM.

The parameter i set through policy file into IM config folder work out because during a image batch manipulatio i see memory being quickly used then released.

used the time_limit as to operate a specific flush on IM only, to isolate the service. Of couse the cycle of life of a manipulation is much shorter. Those parameter work out because lasso kept crashing every day at same time.
Another task i was ment to resolve working on IM config rather lasso was the ammount of files that IM creates
Into temp folder ...

Re: Lasso 8.6 memory hog

Marc Vos
Personally, I too have had only memory problems with Lasso 8.5 on Windows Server with IIS, not with IM but doing intensive FTP, JDBC, MySQL and OS_Process operations repeatedly day in day out. Had to restart Lasso twice per day.

Since I moved that installation to CentOS, no more problems. Really. I hardly ever have to restart either Lasso nor CentOS; just once every 6 to 8 months or so.

- -
Marc

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 okt. 2012, at 05:00, Andybacc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIS7, win server 2008
> I handle lot of images at runtime.
>
> 1) lasso handles ram for imagemagick
> 2) by default imagemagick is set to use all the possible RAM
> 3) lasso eats all the memory and never release
> 4) lasso site (the only one i set) crashes reporting a memory issue
> 5) issue is between lasso and imagemagick
>
> Code is properly tweaked, so can't be a bad programming causing this.
>
> Imagemagick  documentation says
> <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/resources.php>   its possible to add a
> policy.xml file with definition of memory, area and disk limit ecc...
>
> At first i set MAGICK_TIME_LIMIT parameter to 1 day : this causes the
> restarting of imagemagick which couses lasso site to crash.
> Now i'm working on other parameters ... memory,area and disk (seems like
> working properly)
>
> Till now the best i did was scheduler a periodical restart of lasso site :
> not functional at all.
>
> Anybody found a better solution ?

Re: Lasso 8.6 memory hog

gzasuwa
Upgrade to 8.6 memory issues are minimized - but other problems have occurred for me.

Sincerely,

Gerard Zasuwa Gary
Lead Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health System
(313)-916-2651 work
(313)-585-9621 NEW CELL
(248)-360-0456 home

LEGAL NOTICE: This e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete the e-mail from your computer and do not copy or disclose it to anyone else. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege.

FEDERAL TAX ADVICE DISCLAIMER: Under U. S. Treasury Regulations, we are informing you that, to the extent this message includes any federal tax advice, this message is not intended or written by the sender to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties.