Lasso 8.6/WinServ2012/LassoConnectors - Database Not Available

Lasso 8.6/WinServ2012/LassoConnectors - Database Not Available

Jason Pettis-2
Hello List,
Hopefully someone's around to give some advice. I have a Lasso 8.6 system,
running on two Windows Server 2012 systems running on VDI/VMWare set up.
Databases on one server, IIS/Lasso on another. Recently we had some
adjustments made to the server configs on the VMWare side. Today I went in
to run server updates and reboot the machines. After restart, Lasso is no
longer seeing the databases. I have connectors to SQL Server and MySQL -
both are running on the database server, but Lasso isn't seeing them. Lasso
Site-Admin/DataSources/Databases are showing all as "not available"

I've rebooted the web server twice just in case but so far nothing. I will
be reaching out to the hosting company for their input but if anyone has
any suggestions on what to check or how to resolve, I'd be appreciated. I'm
fortunate that Thanksgiving is giving me an extra day to get this fixed,
but I'd like things back up and running ASAP.

Thank you,
-Jason Pettis

Re: Lasso 8.6/WinServ2012/LassoConnectors - Database Not Available

stevepiercy
You need to specify "some updates" and on which machine.

Otherwise, while logged into the Lasso machine, try to connect
to the remote SQL server via the command line or some other
third-party GUI client.  That should verify whether there is an
issue with the network, firewall, or database users outside of
the Lasso machine.

Keep in mind that an SQL database user may have an IP address
component to the actual user, and if IP addresses have changed,
then you will need to recreate the user on the databases.

--steve

On 11/21/18 at 8:59 PM, [hidden email] (Jason Pettis) pronounced:

>Hello List,
>Hopefully someone's around to give some advice. I have a Lasso 8.6 system,
>running on two Windows Server 2012 systems running on VDI/VMWare set up.
>Databases on one server, IIS/Lasso on another. Recently we had some
>adjustments made to the server configs on the VMWare side. Today I went in
>to run server updates and reboot the machines. After restart, Lasso is no
>longer seeing the databases. I have connectors to SQL Server and MySQL -
>both are running on the database server, but Lasso isn't seeing them. Lasso
>Site-Admin/DataSources/Databases are showing all as "not available"
>
>I've rebooted the web server twice just in case but so far nothing. I will
>be reaching out to the hosting company for their input but if anyone has
>any suggestions on what to check or how to resolve, I'd be appreciated. I'm
>fortunate that Thanksgiving is giving me an extra day to get this fixed,
>but I'd like things back up and running ASAP.
>
>Thank you,
>-Jason Pettis

>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Eugene, OR
<[hidden email]>               <http://www.stevepiercy.com/>

Re: Lasso 8.6/WinServ2012/LassoConnectors - Database Not Available

Jason Pettis-2
Hi (and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US)

TL;DR - issue is fixed. Read on for details

Microsoft Updates run on both servers:
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2018 (KB890830)
2018-11 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6,
4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 for x64
(KB4467242)
2018-11 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for
x64-based Systems (KB4467697)

The database server also received:
2018-11 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1809
for ARM64-based Systems (KB4477029)

As Steve suggested, testing a remote connection to the database server
(using a UDL file on the webserver) failed. BUT, I remembered that when I
first accessed the servers I was prompted about allowing the servers to be
discovered, which made me thing the issue was network-related. Using that
line of reasoning, I first checked the built-in firewall setting on both
machines. As there is a VMWare firewall in place I normally leave the
Windows firewall off, but I found the Public firewall was turned ON, on the
database server and the Public and Private firewall was turned ON on the
web server. Either the VDI changes or the security patches may have
reactivated the firewalls. Turning all back OFFhas resolved the issue.

Thanks to Steve Piercy for the initial suggestions on what to test, and a
good night sleep allowing a clearer head to take on the issue in the
morning.

-Jason