Lasso 8.6 - CentOS 6.5 Lasso plays maths with comma instead of dot !

Lasso 8.6 - CentOS 6.5 Lasso plays maths with comma instead of dot !

bienvenue
Hi List,

I wanted to share that migration experience with the community.

The story :
We are migrating from X Serve Mac OS X Lasso 8.5 to Vitual Machine CentOS 6.5 Lasso 8.6…
Bought brand new licences upgrades, perpetual, 3 instances… (3 X Serves -> 3 VM)
New fresh installations.

Before migration we had setup a CentOS test environnement , did some tests with our code.
As theese test were ok, we deployed new VM with the same environnement. And we begun the migration...

Soon we noticed that first migrated web sites on our new VM have a strange behavior concerning decimal and math calculations.
The same code doesn't behave as on test VM either on Mac OSX…

Sample code :
--------
Mac OS X Lasso 8.5

output(1+1) //->  2
output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2.2
output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0.2
output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0.2
---------
CentOS 6.5 Lasso 8.6 (notice the comma in displayed results, without speaking about wrong calculations...)

output(1+1) //-> 2
output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2,00
output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0
output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0,20

Weird feeling about that strange results. Imagine the last one cast in a var to be added to another for instance...
We had to find out... Reading old posts on LassoTalk and so on...
In fact we found a difference between our test environnement and production one.

Guess what ?
Our production environment was localised in FRENCH. In that language, decimal char is the comma.
That made Lasso replace all dots by comma while displaying result and doing calculations.
We localised the OS in ENGLISH and everything went back to normal

CentOS 6.5 (Localisation EN) Lasso 8.6

output(1+1) //-> 2
output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2.200000
output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0.2
output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0.200000

Meanwhile PHP web sites, migrated in the same conditions, didn't even quiver…
With the same behaviour for calculation, OS localised in FR or US.

This has to be improved for sure, don't you think so ?
Regards
JP
---
Jean-Pierre Kocherhans
E SYSTEMES
http://www.e-systemes.com

Re: Lasso 8.6 - CentOS 6.5 Lasso plays maths with comma instead of dot !

Rachel Guthrie
Thank you JP for sharing your experience.
Can you please log your findings as a ticket in http://www.lassosoft.com/rhinotrac
This way we can look at ways to address this in future.

Kind regards,

Rachel Guthrie
Manager, LassoSoft Inc

On Dec 15, 2014, at 5:13 PM, bienvenue <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I wanted to share that migration experience with the community.
>
> The story :
> We are migrating from X Serve Mac OS X Lasso 8.5 to Vitual Machine CentOS 6.5 Lasso 8.6…
> Bought brand new licences upgrades, perpetual, 3 instances… (3 X Serves -> 3 VM)
> New fresh installations.
>
> Before migration we had setup a CentOS test environnement , did some tests with our code.
> As theese test were ok, we deployed new VM with the same environnement. And we begun the migration...
>
> Soon we noticed that first migrated web sites on our new VM have a strange behavior concerning decimal and math calculations.
> The same code doesn't behave as on test VM either on Mac OSX…
>
> Sample code :
> --------
> Mac OS X Lasso 8.5
>
> output(1+1) //->  2
> output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2.2
> output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0.2
> output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0.2
> ---------
> CentOS 6.5 Lasso 8.6 (notice the comma in displayed results, without speaking about wrong calculations...)
>
> output(1+1) //-> 2
> output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2,00
> output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0
> output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0,20
>
> Weird feeling about that strange results. Imagine the last one cast in a var to be added to another for instance...
> We had to find out... Reading old posts on LassoTalk and so on...
> In fact we found a difference between our test environnement and production one.
>
> Guess what ?
> Our production environment was localised in FRENCH. In that language, decimal char is the comma.
> That made Lasso replace all dots by comma while displaying result and doing calculations.
> We localised the OS in ENGLISH and everything went back to normal
>
> CentOS 6.5 (Localisation EN) Lasso 8.6
>
> output(1+1) //-> 2
> output(1.2 + 1) //-> 2.200000
> output( (Math_Div : 2, 10.0) ) //-> 0.2
> output( Decimal(2) / 10) //-> 0.200000
>
> Meanwhile PHP web sites, migrated in the same conditions, didn't even quiver…
> With the same behaviour for calculation, OS localised in FR or US.
>
> This has to be improved for sure, don't you think so ?
> Regards
> JP
> ---
> Jean-Pierre Kocherhans
> E SYSTEMES
> http://www.e-systemes.com

Re: Lasso 8.6 - CentOS 6.5 Lasso plays maths with comma instead of dot !

Brad Lindsay
The fact that the output was using commas based on the localization sounds like a great feature. (Though the calculations being wrong is surely a bug that should be tracked.)

Brad