Large PDF file

decorior
I am trying to generate a large PDF file  in which each page
represents an invoice. There are ~700 invoices to print.

However, a number of 50 is fine but 700 causes and internal server
error.

50 of the invoices create a pdf that is ~ 1.1 MByte, so it is not so
huge.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Deco

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

Viaduct Productions
Create a single PDF for every 50 records.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

decorior
Yep, could do that.

Also could create one based on the first letter of last name i.e.
A's, B's, etc.

But from an archive point of view it is less than ideal.

The internal server error seemed a little harsh. Does anyone know if
8.5 addressed any of these issues?

Deco

On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Rich wrote:

> Create a single PDF for every 50 records.
>
> On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>> I am trying to generate a large PDF file  in which each page
>> represents an invoice. There are ~700 invoices to print.
>>
>> However, a number of 50 is fine but 700 causes and internal server
>> error.
>>
>> 50 of the invoices create a pdf that is ~ 1.1 MByte, so it is not
>> so huge.
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas?
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

Göran Törnquist-2
I have generated more than 1000 (approx. 500 +
copy) invoices without a problem. Are you running
out of connection between Lasso and Apache? Try
insert [server_push] to keep the connection alive.

/Göran

>Yep, could do that.
>
>Also could create one based on the first letter
>of last name i.e. A's, B's, etc.
>
>But from an archive point of view it is less than ideal.
>
>The internal server error seemed a little harsh.
>Does anyone know if 8.5 addressed any of these
>issues?
>
>Deco
>
>On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Rich wrote:
>
>>Create a single PDF for every 50 records.
>>
>>On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to generate a large PDF file  in
>>>which each page represents an invoice. There
>>>are ~700 invoices to print.
>>>
>>>However, a number of 50 is fine but 700 causes and internal server error.
>>>
>>>50 of the invoices create a pdf that is ~ 1.1 MByte, so it is not so huge.
>>>
>>>Does anybody have any ideas?
>>

>>------------------------------
>>LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>>Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>>2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>>get your FileMaker data on the web.
>>http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>------------------------------
>LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>get your FileMaker data on the web.
>http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>believed to be clean.

Göran Törnquist
--
0733-86 04 70
--

believed to be clean.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

Can I only do one pdf_serve per page?

Deco
On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Yep, could do that.
>
> Also could create one based on the first letter of last name i.e.
> A's, B's, etc.
>
> But from an archive point of view it is less than ideal.
>
> The internal server error seemed a little harsh. Does anyone know
> if 8.5 addressed any of these issues?
>
> Deco
>
> On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Rich wrote:
>
>> Create a single PDF for every 50 records.
>>
>> On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to generate a large PDF file  in which each page
>>> represents an invoice. There are ~700 invoices to print.
>>>
>>> However, a number of 50 is fine but 700 causes and internal
>>> server error.
>>>
>>> 50 of the invoices create a pdf that is ~ 1.1 MByte, so it is not
>>> so huge.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any ideas?
>>

>> ------------------------------
>> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
>> data on the web.
>> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

Göran Törnquist-2
Yep.

pdf_serve ends with an abort, so that's the last
contents you'll get from the request.

/Göran

>Can I only do one pdf_serve per page?
>
>Deco
>On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>>Yep, could do that.
>>
>>Also could create one based on the first letter
>>of last name i.e. A's, B's, etc.
>>
>>But from an archive point of view it is less than ideal.
>>
>>The internal server error seemed a little
>>harsh. Does anyone know if 8.5 addressed any of
>>these issues?
>>
>>Deco
>>
>>On Jul 31, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Rich wrote:
>>
>>>Create a single PDF for every 50 records.

>>>------------------------------
>>>LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>>>Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>>>2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>>>get your FileMaker data on the web.
>>>http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>>------------------------------
>>LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>>Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>>2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>>get your FileMaker data on the web.
>>http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>------------------------------
>LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>get your FileMaker data on the web.
>http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>believed to be clean.

Göran Törnquist
--
0733-86 04 70
--

believed to be clean.

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

stevepiercy
...or can you?
<http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=166201>

--steve

On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Göran   Törnquist) pronounced:

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

decorior
Thanks so far.

So it is taking 3-4 seconds per PDF, so for 700 = 2800 seconds.

Approximately, 30-40 minutes??

So I am thinking I will do an AJAX page that will do each letter of
the alphabet.

Any ideas on how I might speed this up?

Deco

On Aug 1, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> ...or can you?
> <http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=166201>
>
> --steve
>

> On Wednesday, August 2, 2006, [hidden email] (Göran   Törnquist)
> pronounced:
>
>> Yep.
>>
>> pdf_serve ends with an abort, so that's the last
>> contents you'll get from the request.
>>
>> /Göran
>>
>>> Can I only do one pdf_serve per page?
>>>
>>> Deco

>>> ------------------------------
>>> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
>>> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
>>> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to
>>> get your FileMaker data on the web.
>>> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.

>> Göran Törnquist
>> --
>> 0733-86 04 70
>> --
>> Cortland AB
>> Sjökarbyvägen 23
>> 184 34 Åkersberga
>>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

Viaduct Productions
Steffan's tags?

On Aug 1, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Any ideas on how I might speed this up?

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Large PDF file

decorior
good idea..

Steffan, do you think it is the case?

Deco

On Aug 1, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Rich wrote:

> Steffan's tags?
>
> On Aug 1, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on how I might speed this up?
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

50 record limit?

Jeremy Reynolds-2
I'm experimenting around with code such [Records_Array]

For example:

[var: 'found1'=1]

[Iterate: (Records_Array), (Variable: 'Temp_Record')]
[var: 'Temp_Field'= $Temp_Record->(Get: 8)]

  [if: $found1 < 1000]
       [Output: $found1 + ' ' + $Temp_Field]<BR>
  [/if]

[$found1 = $found1 + 1]
[/Iterate]

The found records count is 166 but when I try to get it to display,
it stops at 50.  Not sure why.  Is there a limit on how large the
Records_Array stores?

Jeremy

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: 50 record limit?

Stephen P. Fracek, Jr.
On 2006-08-02 2:58 PM, "Jeremy Reynolds" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm experimenting around with code such [Records_Array]
> The found records count is 166 but when I try to get it to display,
> it stops at 50.  Not sure why.  Is there a limit on how large the
> Records_Array stores?

Jeremy -

The inline will send a maximum of 50 records unless you tell it otherwise
with -MaxRecords=# or -MaxRecords='All'

Stephen P. Fracek, Jr.

LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: 50 record limit?

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 2006-08-02 at 15:58 by [hidden email] (Jeremy Reynolds):

>I'm experimenting around with code such [Records_Array]
>
>For example:
>
>[var: 'found1'=1]
>
>[Iterate: (Records_Array), (Variable: 'Temp_Record')]
>[var: 'Temp_Field'= $Temp_Record->(Get: 8)]
>
>  [if: $found1 < 1000]
>       [Output: $found1 + ' ' + $Temp_Field]<BR>
>  [/if]
>
>[$found1 = $found1 + 1]
>[/Iterate]
>

>The found records count is 166 but when I try to get it to display,
>it stops at 50.  Not sure why.  Is there a limit on how large the
>Records_Array stores?

Add -MaxRecords='all' to your inline.  It defaults to a value of 50 if unspecified.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

In a bind

Jeremy Reynolds-2
I've been working on a "show 50 records per page" kind of a concept
where there'd be links (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5) that let you jump to pages
that display 50 records each.

Normally, I'd just just use

-Maxrecords='50',
-Skiprecords=$start,

tags in combination with found_count and I'm good to go.

What complicates it is that I am restricting access (not displaying)
some records with an IF statement within the RECORDS loop.  I would
prefer to build in this restriction into the find itself so that the
found_count would be accurate.  But after much coding and
experimenting, this is not currently possible.  If only I were
displaying All records, I could just create my own variable that kept
track of the displayed records and use that as the found count.  But
since I am only showing 50 records at a time, that won't work.

I thought of doing two searches...  one that finds the true found
count and one that just displays 50 records at a time.  But this
increases the load time of the page from 5 seconds to about 12 or
even 20 seconds in rare cases and by that time, I'm sure the client
would wonder if it's even working.

I feel like I'm in a real bind here where no matter which direction I
turn, there is not a solution.  Has anybody else done a 50 records
per page concept while restricting shown records using an IF
statement?  How did you do it?

Jeremy

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: In a bind

Brad Hill
Hey jeremy,

If you only want the found_count, try using a COUNT sql statement
instead of a SELECT, as they are much faster.

On 8/2/06, Jeremy Reynolds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working on a "show 50 records per page" kind of a concept
> where there'd be links (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5) that let you jump to pages
> that display 50 records each.
>
> Normally, I'd just just use
>
> -Maxrecords='50',
> -Skiprecords=$start,
>
> tags in combination with found_count and I'm good to go.
>
> What complicates it is that I am restricting access (not displaying)
> some records with an IF statement within the RECORDS loop.  I would
> prefer to build in this restriction into the find itself so that the
> found_count would be accurate.  But after much coding and
> experimenting, this is not currently possible.  If only I were
> displaying All records, I could just create my own variable that kept
> track of the displayed records and use that as the found count.  But
> since I am only showing 50 records at a time, that won't work.
>
> I thought of doing two searches...  one that finds the true found
> count and one that just displays 50 records at a time.  But this
> increases the load time of the page from 5 seconds to about 12 or
> even 20 seconds in rare cases and by that time, I'm sure the client
> would wonder if it's even working.
>
> I feel like I'm in a real bind here where no matter which direction I
> turn, there is not a solution.  Has anybody else done a 50 records
> per page concept while restricting shown records using an IF
> statement?  How did you do it?
>
> Jeremy
>
> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Brad

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: In a bind

Jeremy Reynolds-2
Thanks.  I'm using FileMaker.  If it were SQL I imagine it'd be fast
enough to do the two finds and not have any problems with speed.

But your suggestion does dive me an idea.  There's a way to only
return certain fields with FileMaker right?  Like only return the
IDs?  That would cut down on time to process the search, no?

On 2006-08-02 at 16:30 by [hidden email] (Jeremy Reynolds):

>I've been working on a "show 50 records per page" kind of a concept
>where there'd be links (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5) that let you jump to pages
>that display 50 records each.
>
>Normally, I'd just just use
>
>-Maxrecords='50',
>-Skiprecords=$start,
>
>tags in combination with found_count and I'm good to go.
>
>What complicates it is that I am restricting access (not displaying)
>some records with an IF statement within the RECORDS loop.  I would
>prefer to build in this restriction into the find itself so that the
>found_count would be accurate.  But after much coding and
>experimenting, this is not currently possible.  If only I were
>displaying All records, I could just create my own variable that kept
>track of the displayed records and use that as the found count.  But
>since I am only showing 50 records at a time, that won't work.
>
>I thought of doing two searches...  one that finds the true found
>count and one that just displays 50 records at a time.  But this
>increases the load time of the page from 5 seconds to about 12 or
>even 20 seconds in rare cases and by that time, I'm sure the client
>would wonder if it's even working.
>
>I feel like I'm in a real bind here where no matter which direction I
>turn, there is not a solution.  Has anybody else done a 50 records
>per page concept while restricting shown records using an IF
>statement?  How did you do it?

I would take another look at doing two searches.  Do the first search and make sure that you only return the ID of each record.  By only returning one field you can often speed up this search.  (You will also need to return any fields you need for your condition.

Then, for the second search do a find for just the appropriate records from the first search.

[var: 'all_ids' = array]
[inline: -search, ..., -returnfield='id', -maxrecords='all']
  [records]
    [if: ... condition ...]
      [$all_ids->(insert: (field: 'id'))]
    [/if]
  [/records]
[/inline]
[var: 'temp_ids' = array]
[loop: -from=$skiprecords, -to=$maxrecords + $skiprecords]
  [$temp_ids->(insert: $all_ids->(get: loop_count))]
[/loop]
[inline: -sql='SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE id IN (' + $myids->(join: ',') + ');', -maxrecords='all']
  ... display ...
[/inline]

Hope this helps,

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

tracking users' paths through site - Lasso 8

Ginny White-2
Hi All,

I'm trying to add tracking to a site so that we can
see which pages a given user visited and how long they
spent on each page. Everything is pretty neat and
clean as long as the user logs out when they're done.
But personally, I never officially log out of
anything, so I could imagine lots of folks won't
bother. In that case, I just use the session
expiration time as the end time. But it all just seems
so crude. Is there any way to detect when the user
goes off to another site?

I'm using Lasso 8, FMSA8 to capture session id, start
time, page info,  end time info. Using sessions with
-UseLink out of habbit.

Thanks in advance! --Ginny

http://mail.yahoo.com

------------------------------

On 2006-08-02 at 17:01 by [hidden email] (Jeremy Reynolds):

>Thanks.  I'm using FileMaker.  If it were SQL I imagine it'd be fast
>enough to do the two finds and not have any problems with speed.
>
>But your suggestion does dive me an idea.  There's a way to only
>return certain fields with FileMaker right?  Like only return the
>IDs?  That would cut down on time to process the search, no?

With FileMaker you have a few more options.  Is it possible for you to code the condition to display the records as a calculation?  If so you can search on it like any field.

In order to use the code I provided you'd have to create a layout which just returned the record ID or some other unique value for each record.  Then, rather than using a SQL IN search you'd need to use -oplogical='or' and a series of fifty statements which found each of the desired records.

[var: 'temp_ids' = array]
[loop: -from=$skiprecords, -to=$maxrecords + $skiprecords]
  [$temp_ids->(insert: -op='eq')]
  [$temp_ids->(insert: 'ID' = $all_ids->(get: loop_count))]
[/loop]
[inline: -search, $temp_ids, -oplogical='or', -maxrecords='all']
  ... display ...
[/inline]

Hope this helps,

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: In a bind

Jeremy Reynolds-2
I have the criteria for what they are allowed to see in a MySQL
database.  Let's say it contains a value of ids separated by commas
2,3,4,7,20

I have to do it that way because there are several users and they are
allowed to see varying records.
I can't store it in the FileMaker Database's record because there are
soo many users.  So the only thing that FileMaker can do is provide
me the IDs and then I check against the allowed IDs array retrieved
from MySQL.