LP6 killed by server restart

Marcus  Sundgren
I'm having serious problems with my lasso server (PowerMac G4 2x1GHz, MacOS
10.3.9, Lasso Professional 6.0.4). I've made numerous reinstallations of
both MacOSX and Lasso Server. A couple of weeks ago I thought that I cot it
to work, but today I needed to move the server and Lasso won't start up
after the move. The first reboot after installations works well, but a
second restart invariably kills Lasso. It appears that LassoMySQL cannot be
started. The console barfs out lines like this:

./bin/safe_mysqld: line 244: test:
/Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se: binary
operator expected
./bin/safe_mysqld: line 244: test:
/Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se: binary
operator expected

In the LassoMySQL/site.err-file about 32 attempts per second to restart
LassoMySQL gets logged:

050609 18:26:37  LassoMySQL restarted
050609 18:26:37  LassoMySQL restarted
050609 18:26:37  LassoMySQL restarted
050609 18:26:37  LassoMySQL restarted

What's wrong here? I really don't thjink it should be necessary to reinstall
OS and Lasso each time the server needs to be restarted...

/Marcus

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

Clive Bruton
Marcus,

The latest version 6 is 6.0.6, so it may be worth trying that at
least. Is that one of your databases that it's pointing to:

     /Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se

I'd try taking it out of the var folder if so, so that it isn't
loaded. Then see what happens. If all's well, try running some MySQL
repair routines on the database.

-- Clive

Den 05-06-09 23.30, skrev "Clive Bruton" <[hidden email]>:

> The latest version 6 is 6.0.6, so it may be worth trying that at
> least.

I have. But I've also got suggestions earlier on this list to install 6.0.4
first, then 6.0.6:

> On 05-05-18 14.10, wrote "Jussi Hirvi" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I had big problems when I installed L 6.0.6 directly to a OS X Server
>> machine. LassoService wouldn't start at all. Don't know if this has anything
>> to do with your situation, but just in case... Here is Fabrizio's advice,
>> which saved me at the time.
>>
>> Fabrizio Carioni kirjoitteli (31.1.2005 14:54):
>>> In my experience every time I tried an update from 6.0.0 (or 6.0.2)
>>> to 6.0.6 (or 6.0.5). I had problems.
>>> The only way out was to uninstall, install 6.0.4, upgrade to 6.0.6
>>>
>>> Don't know why.
>>
>> - Jussi Hirvi

Right now nothing seems to bring this server alive. I've reinstalled OSX
10.3.9 from scratch with all system updates, then LP606. Installed clean
system 10.3.9 with all updates (rebooting in between) and then installed
LP604 followed by LP606. Nothing seems to help.

> Is that one of your databases that it's pointing to:
>
>    /Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se

That is the server domain name. This file gets created together with
itproj.utv.mh.se.err and contains error log entries.

> I'd try taking it out of the var folder if so, so that it isn't
> loaded.

I did. No difference.

> Then see what happens. If all's well, try running some MySQL
> repair routines on the database.

As soon as I get that far I will (if ever ...)

/Marcus

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

James Harvard
Clive's right to ask about database corruption. Are you preserving the LassoMySQL database(s) from your original installation?

Also try downloading a new installer - the one you are using might have been corrupted, I suppose.

You should be able to install 6.0.6 from scratch.

Good luck,
James Harvard

On 9 Jun 2005, at 23:56, Marcus Sundgren wrote:

>> Is that one of your databases that it's pointing to:
>>
>>    /Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se
>>

> That is the server domain name. This file gets created together with
> itproj.utv.mh.se.err and contains error log entries.

Hasn't that file got a ".err" on the end?

One of the times I've noticed that MySQL won't start (but I've never
seen it with LassoMySQL) is when, somehow, the file permissions on
the databases have been set incorrectly. Have you checked that?

Can you do a new install with *none* of your data, and see how that
performs?

-- Clive

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

Marcus  Sundgren
Den 05-06-10 01.58, skrev "James Harvard"
<[hidden email]>:

> Clive's right to ask about database corruption. Are you preserving the
> LassoMySQL database(s) from your original installation?

I start with a clean install without any of my own databases. As long as
that won't work I won't try to use any of my own data.

> Also try downloading a new installer - the one you are using might have been
> corrupted, I suppose.

Did that just now and installed on a fresh restore of a clean system. Same
result.

> You should be able to install 6.0.6 from scratch.

You would think that, wouldn't you? ;-)

Den 05-06-10 07.06, skrev "Clive Bruton" <[hidden email]>:

> On 9 Jun 2005, at 23:56, Marcus Sundgren wrote:
>
>>> Is that one of your databases that it's pointing to:
>>>
>>>    /Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se
>>>

>> That is the server domain name. This file gets created together with
>> itproj.utv.mh.se.err and contains error log entries.
>
> Hasn't that file got a ".err" on the end?

As I tried to say, both an "itproj.utv.mh.se" and an "itproj.utv.mh.se.err"
file gets created. Same contents. I believe that the file without .err
suffix showed up because I had forgotten to turn Apache off before
installing. I've done the install again (several times) with apache turned
off, so thats not the (only) reason for lassomysql not starting.

> One of the times I've noticed that MySQL won't start (but I've never
> seen it with LassoMySQL) is when, somehow, the file permissions on
> the databases have been set incorrectly. Have you checked that?

Just to make sure I'm doing everything right, what should the permissions be
and what directories shall I check?

> Can you do a new install with *none* of your data, and see how that
> performs?

That's what I've done all along. I've got a disk image of a clean install
(Erase and install) of Mac OS X 10.3 (installed from original Jaguar CD's,
all software updates applied with reboots inbetween). I used that disk image
to make a software restore using Apple Disk Tool (Erase target option
checked). On top of that I've installed (software restore between each
step):

LP606, didn't work
LP604, didn't work
LP604 then LP606, didn't work

Downloaded new installers from OP and tried the same procedures again.
Didn't work.

Installed a fresh system from CD's in case the disk image got corrupted
somehow, and then LP604. Didn't work.

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

James Harvard
OK, going back to the original post ...

At 6:32 pm +0200 9/6/05, Marcus  Sundgren wrote:
>./bin/safe_mysqld: line 244: test:
>/Applications/LassoProfessional6/LassoMySQL/var/itproj.utv.mh.se: binary
>operator expected

That's the shell script that launches LassoMySQL erroring out when it tries to test for the existance of a .pid file.

Given that the one 'non-standard' thing about your setup is that you are resintalling from a ready-prepared disk image, are you _certain_ that your disk image was created with the BSD sub-system installed? I would install the Mac OS from CD to see if that works.

Try reposting under a different subject line to try and attract any command line gurus. I did a quick Google on "binary operator expected" but nothing jumps out at me.

HTH,
James Harvard

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

Marcus  Sundgren
Den 05-06-10 12.05, skrev "James Harvard"
<[hidden email]>:

> That's the shell script that launches LassoMySQL erroring out when it tries to
> test for the existance of a .pid file.

Ok.

> Given that the one 'non-standard' thing about your setup is that you are
> resintalling from a ready-prepared disk image, are you _certain_ that your
> disk image was created with the BSD sub-system installed? I would install the
> Mac OS from CD to see if that works.

I have done that too.

> Try reposting under a different subject line to try and attract any command
> line gurus. I did a quick Google on "binary operator expected" but nothing
> jumps out at me.

I think I have located the reason for my problems, see my next post. Thanks
for the suggestion though.

/Marcus

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

Marcus  Sundgren
Now I think I've figured out what causes the problems, but I don't quite
understand it...

If I boot the server with the fixed IP it's supposed to have, the lassomysql
refuses to start. That fixed IP is associated with two domain names
itproj.utv.mh.se and itproj.utv.miun.se (Mid Sweden University recently got
'upgraded' from university college, mh.se, to a full-blown university,
miun.se). But if I boot the computer with IP set to DHCP lassomysql starts
up perfectly. Then I can change the IP back to fixed and everything just
keeps on rolling.

This gives me a bit of breathing space, but the core pronblem remains. If
the server needs to be rebooted I would have to go through a process of
changing IP to DHCP, reboot, change back to fixed and then restart Apache
and lasso service. This makes it a bit difficult to maintain the server as
it won't restart automatically in case of a brown-out or similar as it used
to...

/Marcus

Re: LP6 killed by server restart

James Harvard
The safe_mysqld shell script sets a variable called pid_file, which includes the hostname of your 'puter. It does this using /bin/hostname.

What results do you get from running the hostname command in the terminal? I think for some reason your network setup means that hostname returns a value with a space in it, which then freaks out the shell script.

Possible workarounds:

a) Change your network setup so that hostname returns a value without a space. This would be best. If the current setup breaks LassoMySQL it might break other stuff too.

b) Hack the safe_mysqld shell script and hard-code a value for $pid_file at line 143.

HTH,
James Harvard