Quantcast

Knop reflektioner

Jolle Carlestam-2
Hello Johan and other Knopare!

Sitting on a really boring ariport (Miami). Starting to play with
Knop a little. Exciting!

And since I know I wont be able to send this mail for a while I'm
using it as a note block while examining Knop.

First note. I would prefer that public folders where not named with a
starting underscore. I got caught on _css. My Apache is configured to
not allow folders or files starting with an underscore. That is a way
for me to secure that Lasso stuff can't be accessed directly thru
Apache.

Second note. Right now I'm stuck on this message: Nav debug trace not
enabled. It seems as if I'm missing some configuration that's should
present me with the option to create a new record. Recommendation. A
walk-thru on how to setup the demo. What to configure where.

Admittedly I don't ave any records to display in the list. But
where's the add button?

After trying some more I have to admit that I'm stuck here. Even if I
search for the string "Nav debug trace not enabled" with Bbedit I
can't find it. Strange. And I do wonder where the Create new button is.

This piece of code in the index.lasso doesn't seem to do anything:

$nav -> (include: 'content')]

At least inserting it twice made no difference.

Aha, having some sleep gave me the solution. I didn't use the
Filemaker DB. Instead I created a Mysql table using the suggested
code. And it turns out that there have to be at least one record in
the DB in order for the list object to be included. I would call that
a bug. :-)

Now I have a Create new button. Moving on.

Still get this: Nav debug trace not enabled

Third note. I'm puzzled and somewhat disturbed. I never changed
username and password in the
var: 'd'=(mt_database: -database='jina_testing', -table='ramverktest',
        -username='knop', -password='knop',
        -keyfield='keyfield', -lockfield='lockfield');

And the search still works. What's wrong in my Lasso configuration
that allows anyone to do a search? And for that matter, to change the
record as well. I do not use Anyuser in my solutions and up untl this
point I thought that only explicitly supplying the user and password
I assigned should work.

Forth note. I have a number of these:
Getbutton: No button found

Is that good or bad?

Well finally home again.

(log in with your email and ConfirmationID as password, send message to
<[hidden email]> to get that ID)

Re: Knop reflektioner

Johan Solve-2
At 17.48 +0100 2007-03-05, [hidden email] wrote:
>Hello Johan and other Knopare!
>
>Sitting on a really boring ariport (Miami). Starting to play with Knop a little. Exciting!

Sitting on Newark Airport waiting for my transatlantic leg... Really smooth trip so far

>And since I know I wont be able to send this mail for a while I'm using it as a note block while examining Knop.
>
>First note. I would prefer that public folders where not named with a starting underscore. I got caught on _css. My Apache is configured to not allow folders or files starting with an underscore. That is a way for me to secure that Lasso stuff can't be accessed directly thru Apache.

Makes sense. That was probably my intention from the beginning as well, not sure why it ended ut with underscore. You can change this as you want, this does not affect anything at all in the framework.

>Second note. Right now I'm stuck on this message: Nav debug trace not enabled. It seems as if I'm missing some configuration that's should present me with the option to create a new record.

The nav ctype doesn't have the trace enabled as default, that is no messages are added to the trace array as default. This is for performance reasons, since nav is called so many times by itself. I didn't want to risk the debug trace array insertion to slow anything down.
Enable the debug trace when you create a nav object by specifying -debug.
Luckily for me this is actually covered in tagreference.txt ;-)

-> oncreate
        optional: -default // Key of default navigation item
        optional: -root // The root path for the site section that this nav object is used for
        optional: -navmethod // path or param. Path for "URL designed" URLs, otherwise a -path parameter will be used for the navigation.
        optional: -trace // Flag, if specified debug_trace will be used. Defaults to disabled for performance reasons.

>Recommendation. A walk-thru on how to setup the demo. What to configure where.

Absolutely, as time permits... I'm not exactly happy with the state of the so called documentation at this point.

>Admittedly I don't ave any records to display in the list. But where's the add button?

The framework doesn't provide an add button at the record listing, you have to add the add button yourself to the content file. See the example for cnt_customer_list and cnt_advanced_list.

>After trying some more I have to admit that I'm stuck here. Even if I search for the string "Nav debug trace not enabled" with Bbedit I can't find it. Strange. And I do wonder where the Create new button is.
>
>This piece of code in the index.lasso doesn't seem to do anything:
>
>$nav -> (include: 'content')]
>At least inserting it twice made no difference.

That is because $nav knows that the file has already been included on the page, so it won't include it again... The purpose of that check is actually to prevent the config being loaded twice, once for the action and once for the lib/cnt.

Try removing [$nav -> (include: 'content')] instead and see what happens...

>Aha, having some sleep gave me the solution. I didn't use the Filemaker DB. Instead I created a Mysql table using the suggested code. And it turns out that there have to be at least one record in the DB in order for the list object to be included. I would call that a bug. :-)

Without checking the code, I don't see a reason for showing the grid object for no found records. Will look into it.

>Now I have a Create new button. Moving on.
>
>Still get this: Nav debug trace not enabled
>
>Third note. I'm puzzled and somewhat disturbed. I never changed username and password in the
>var: 'd'=(mt_database: -database='jina_testing', -table='ramverktest',
> -username='knop', -password='knop',
> -keyfield='keyfield', -lockfield='lockfield');
>
>And the search still works. What's wrong in my Lasso configuration that allows anyone to do a search? And for that matter, to change the record as well. I do not use Anyuser in my solutions and up untl this point I thought that only explicitly supplying the user and password I assigned should work.

If you have been logged in as serveradmin or siteadmin to access lasso admin on same hostname, then you are already authenticated. Restart the browser and try again, and you should not be able to access the databases.
The framework does no magic about this btw so it's an unrelated problem.

>Forth note. I have a number of these:
>Getbutton: No button found
>
>Is that good or bad?

It depends on where you get it. After submitting a form? In that case, what's the name of your submit button?
->getbutton only looks for submit buttons (or image submits) whose names begin with button_.
And if it finds one, it returns the part of the name that comes after button_ (minus the .x or .y from an image submit)

>Well finally home again.

Was the flight ok? Mine leaves in 2 hours.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Member, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer

(log in with your email and ConfirmationID as password, send message to
<[hidden email]> to get that ID)

Re: Knop reflektioner

Johan Solve-2
A few corrections coming along...

At 15.44 -0500 2007-03-05, Johan Solve wrote:
>Enable the debug trace when you create a nav object by specifying -debug.

Er, that came out wrong... Specify -trace. Sorry for the confusion :-)

>>$nav -> (include: 'content')]
>>At least inserting it twice made no difference.
>
>That is because $nav knows that the file has already been included on the page, so it won't include it again... The purpose of that check is actually to prevent the config being loaded twice, once for the action and once for the lib/cnt.

Wrong again... Knop does only keep track of if it has loaded the config file as actionconfig. All other file types can be included as many times as you want.

>>First note. I would prefer that public folders where not named with a starting underscore. I got caught on _css. My Apache is configured to not allow folders or files starting with an underscore. That is a way for me to secure that Lasso stuff can't be accessed directly thru Apache.
>
>Makes sense. That was probably my intention from the beginning as well, not sure why it ended ut with underscore. You can change this as you want, this does not affect anything at all in the framework.

The reason I decided to have leading underscores also for the public files is to avoid collisions with URLs that might be used in the site. By skipping the underscore, the framework needs to reserve a few URLs for its own use. But this situation is no different than for any other web solution, so I'm going to remove the underscore from the folders with public files.

>>Aha, having some sleep gave me the solution. I didn't use the Filemaker DB. Instead I created a Mysql table using the suggested code. And it turns out that there have to be at least one record in the DB in order for the list object to be included. I would call that a bug. :-)
>
>Without checking the code, I don't see a reason for showing the grid object for no found records. Will look into it.

That should read "I don't see a reason for NOT showing the grid object for no found records"
A triple negation...
But I still can't see why it would not show up at all for you. It should show a header and footer even if the db is empty.
Btw, if there are 10 or more records shown in the list, the prev/next navigation (footer) appears also above the records. I haven't decided if it's good or not to have it behave a bit differently like that depending on the number of shown records.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Member, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
 (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')

(log in with your email and ConfirmationID as password, send message to
<[hidden email]> to get that ID)

Re: Knop reflektioner

Jolle Carlestam-2
5 mar 2007 kl. 21.44 skrev Johan Solve:

>> Well finally home again.
>
> Was the flight ok? Mine leaves in 2 hours.

No, I had a long wait in Zurich, extended since for the first time
the flight getting there was ahead of schedule instead of late. So at
the only occasion I couldn't benefit from it the plane got there some
1.5 hours earlier... :-)

And to top it of. My suitcase had disappeared once I got to
Copenhagen. With it all the gifts I bought. Still waiting for it...