Knop for 9

list
Hello Knotters!

Steve Piercy took an interest in Knop for 9 and immediately ran into problem. His goal was really simple. He wanted to run the provided demo project on Lasso 9 using virtual URLs.

Turns out that the state of Knop did not allow that. One major obstacle was that the support for virtual URLs did not work.

He also found a number of other smaller issues with the way the different types and methods are called in the demo.

We have worked our way thru the framework code piece by piece (Piercy by Piercy... hihi) and hopefully found and fixed all outstanding issues.

So anyway, I can now announce that Knop for Lasso 9 works with the standard demo project created for Lasso 8.X. (Finally... some might say)

There are some minor changes needed to be done with the demo code itself. But I'd say 99% of the code is the same as in Lasso 8 and I also assume that the changes to the demo will work in Lasso 8.5/6 as well.

The way virtual urls are setup differs. When used on a fairly modern version of Apache all that's needed in the Apache config file is one line:

       FallbackResource /urlhandler.lasso # or whatever your target file is called.

There is also no need for an atbegin handler. Urlhandler.lasso can basically consist of one line as well:
<?LassoScript
include('/index.lasso') // or whatever path and file that's relevant for your setup
?>

Steve is undertaking a move of the code base from SVN at Google to Github. Pending that the latest versions of the Knop files are still available on Google code.
https://knop.googlecode.com/svn/branches/knop9rewrite

I'm sure Steve will let us know when we can start using Github instead.

The tweaked demo project is not in place in the repo. Probably won't be until the move to Github. If anyone is interested in it let me know and I'll post it to you.

Re: Knop for 9

stevepiercy
Jolle deserves the credit for porting the Knop code to Lasso 9.
I only played a supporting role, shaking my pom poms.  Thank
you, Jolle!

Github will become the new host of Knop project code (for both
Lasso 8 and 9), plugins and add-ons (like Jolle's Calendar
demo), and documentation.  In addition to facilitating
contributions of code and documentation through git, Github
provides a ticketing system, a wiki, and many service hooks
including email and IRC notifications.

This email list will remain intact.

For those who are new to git or Github and want to learn how to
collaborate with a project team, I will be helping folks at LDC
in Toronto to get started with Knop via Github.  I'm also
working with LassoSoft folks to locate an after-conference
facility with tasty food and beverage and fast free wifi where
we can have a code sprint on Knop for 9.

--steve

On 5/19/12 at 7:42 AM, [hidden email] (Jolle Carlestam) pronounced:

>Hello Knotters!
>
>Steve Piercy took an interest in Knop for 9 and immediately ran
>into problem. His goal was really simple. He wanted to run the
>provided demo project on Lasso 9 using virtual URLs.
>
>Turns out that the state of Knop did not allow that. One major
>obstacle was that the support for virtual URLs did not work.
>
>He also found a number of other smaller issues with the way the
>different types and methods are called in the demo.
>
>We have worked our way thru the framework code piece by piece
>(Piercy by Piercy... hihi) and hopefully found and fixed all
>outstanding issues.
>
>So anyway, I can now announce that Knop for Lasso 9 works with
>the standard demo project created for Lasso 8.X. (Finally...
>some might say)
>
>There are some minor changes needed to be done with the demo
>code itself. But I'd say 99% of the code is the same as in
>Lasso 8 and I also assume that the changes to the demo will
>work in Lasso 8.5/6 as well.
>
>The way virtual urls are setup differs. When used on a fairly
>modern version of Apache all that's needed in the Apache config
>file is one line:
>
>FallbackResource /urlhandler.lasso # or whatever your target file is called.
>
>There is also no need for an atbegin handler. Urlhandler.lasso
>can basically consist of one line as well:
><?LassoScript
>include('/index.lasso') // or whatever path and file that's relevant for your setup
>?>
>
>Steve is undertaking a move of the code base from SVN at Google
>to Github. Pending that the latest versions of the Knop files
>are still available on Google code.
>https://knop.googlecode.com/svn/branches/knop9rewrite
>
>I'm sure Steve will let us know when we can start using Github instead.
>
>The tweaked demo project is not in place in the repo. Probably
>won't be until the move to Github. If anyone is interested in
>it let me know and I'll post it to you.
>
>HDB
>Jolle

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Knop for 9

list
19 maj 2012 kl. 08:36 skrev Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder:

> Jolle deserves the credit for porting the Knop code to Lasso 9.  I only played a supporting role, shaking my pom poms.  Thank you, Jolle!

I'm happy for the appreciation!
But please keep in mind that Tim Taplin did a tremendous job on the porting as well. He's not active in Knop handling at the moment but that doesn't diminish his role in getting it working in the first round.

Re: Knop for 9

Johan Solve-2
I fully support the migration to GitHub, in case anyone wonders.

At 23.36 -0700 2012-05-18, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> [...]
>><?LassoScript
>>include('/index.lasso') // or whatever path and file that's relevant for your setup
>>?>
>>
>>Steve is undertaking a move of the code base from SVN at Google to Github. Pending that the latest versions of the Knop files are still available on Google code.
>>https://knop.googlecode.com/svn/branches/knop9rewrite
>>
>>I'm sure Steve will let us know when we can start using Github instead.
>>
>>The tweaked demo project is not in place in the repo. Probably won't be until the move to Github. If anyone is interested in it let me know and I'll post it to you.
>>
>>HDB
>>Jolle

>Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder

     Johan Sölve    [FSA Member, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
 (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')