Kerio purchases Webstar

Mark Kawakami
For all you Webstar folks out there:

<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/09/kerio.acquires.webstar/>

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

CANHR M.I.S.

 From the press release it sounds as though Kerio is going to ravage
WebStar for messaging/communication features, and then sunset WebStar
as a web-server product at the end of this year.

Does anyone know whether this is correct?

Will all us Lasso+WebStar folks end up Lasso+Apache in the near future?

ouch...?

>For all you Webstar folks out there:
>
><http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/09/kerio.acquires.webstar/>
>
>The information transmitted is intended only for the person or
>entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
>privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
>other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
>information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
>is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the
>sender and delete the material from any computer.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

Marc Pinnell-3
This topic has been hot and heavy on the Webstar list (no surprise
there), unfortunately there is zero information coming from Kerio and
4D. Best guess is you are right. Webstar is dead. Time to look for
alternatives...

Marc

On Jan 10, 2006, at 9:24 AM, CANHR M.I.S. wrote:

> From the press release it sounds as though Kerio is going to ravage
> WebStar for messaging/communication features, and then sunset
> WebStar as a web-server product at the end of this year.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is correct?
>
> Will all us Lasso+WebStar folks end up Lasso+Apache in the near
> future?
>
> ouch...?
>

>> For all you Webstar folks out there:
>>
>> <http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/09/kerio.acquires.webstar/>
>>
>> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or
>> entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/
>> or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
>> or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
>> information by persons or entities other than the intended
>> recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please
>> contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

Thomas Waters
I'm guessing this, or something like this is what will happen.  I
spoke briefly to a friend at 4D Webstar yesterday, and they said it
didn't look good.

FWIW, The jump from Webstar to OS X Server was pretty painless, and
at least for me, OS X Server runs more reliably than my Webstar box
ever did.  The only thing I miss is 4D rewrite module.  Yes, you can
do rewrites and redirects in the OS X Server GUI, but it seems
harder, more confusing, etc.  Otherwise, it is all a piece of cake
transition to OS X Server.

On Jan 10, 2006, at 12:24 PM, CANHR M.I.S. wrote:

> From the press release it sounds as though Kerio is going to ravage
> WebStar for messaging/communication features, and then sunset
> WebStar as a web-server product at the end of this year.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is correct?
>
> Will all us Lasso+WebStar folks end up Lasso+Apache in the near
> future?
>
> ouch...?
>

>> For all you Webstar folks out there:
>>
>> <http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/09/kerio.acquires.webstar/>
>>
>> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or
>> entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/
>> or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
>> or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
>> information by persons or entities other than the intended
>> recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please
>> contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

Lee Glickenhaus
on 1/10/06 12:24 PM, CANHR M.I.S. wrote:

>  From the press release it sounds as though Kerio is going to ravage
> WebStar for messaging/communication features, and then sunset WebStar
> as a web-server product at the end of this year.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is correct?
>
> Will all us Lasso+WebStar folks end up Lasso+Apache in the near future?
>
> ouch...?

I'm a WebSTAR user -- but I don't see how it can get any worse.

Its clear that 4D has lost interest -- and there may be only so much you can
do with a web server, after all.  But they have done little/nothing in a
long time and seemed unlikely to make more of the app.

So, this may be good.  I use Kerio's mail server and its really great.  So
maybe, just maybe, they'll run with WebSTAR

But it can't hurt to start thinking Apache anyway

lee

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

Clive Bruton

On 10 Jan 2006, at 17:31, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> Its clear that 4D has lost interest...

I could never really figure out why 4D had any real interest in the
first place, to be honest.

> So, this may be good.  I use Kerio's mail server and its really great.

Slightly OT, but can you set that server up as a secondary MX?
Someone set it up for one of my clients, and no one seems able to
figure out how to do it!?

-- Clive

on 1/10/06 1:12 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:

> Slightly OT, but can you set that server up as a secondary MX?
> Someone set it up for one of my clients, and no one seems able to
> figure out how to do it!?

Clive -- sorry, I really don't know.  My use is pretty plain vanilla -- I
set it up long ago and forgot all about it

lee

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: Kerio purchases Webstar

Bill Christensen
At 9:24 AM -0800 1/10/06, CANHR M.I.S. wrote:

>From the press release it sounds as though Kerio is going to ravage
>WebStar for messaging/communication features, and then sunset
>WebStar as a web-server product at the end of this year.
>
>Does anyone know whether this is correct?
>
>Will all us Lasso+WebStar folks end up Lasso+Apache in the near future?
>
>ouch...?

As others have mentioned, moving to Apache wasn't particularly
painful.  You might look into Maxum's iAssist product if you'd rather
do GUI then get under the hood. (http://maxum.com).  I found it
useful for getting started several years ago and still use it for
some tasks, though I have also had to get under the hood a couple
times for things like recompiling PHP with features that aren't
included in their stock build in order to run certain packages
(specifically ZenCart).

Webstar really went downhill with 4D (despite the best efforts of
some of their programmers), and I was happy to be done with it.  Life
got a lot easier once it was gone.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>