IIS Time out

Marc Vos
Hello,

The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.

Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?

- -
Thanks,
Marc Vos

Re: IIS Time out

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Sorry, I can't answer the issue about adjusting the timeout in IIS, but I can tell you the IT department has screwed something up - yes, virtualized DB servers are slower than raw physical servers, but not 3.5-minutes-much-slower.

On 2010-04-26, at 10:23 AM, Marc Vos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>
> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?

Jonathan Guthrie
Software Development Manager

Treefrog Interactive Inc.
www.treefrog.ca

Re: IIS Time out

Hi Marc,

I do not recall the exact details, but you can override the timeout
value for the Lasso Connector for IIS by literally putting the new
value in a plain text file named a certain thing, saved in a certain
directory. It's been so long since we used IIS that I don't remember
what to name the file or where to put it, but that might be enough
information for you to dig something up from the list archives, or
spur someone else's memory...

HTH,
Jason

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>
> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?
>
> - -
> Thanks,
> Marc Vos

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
Ok, thanks guys, I'll start searching.

- -
Marc

On 26 apr 2010, at 17:27, Jason Huck wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I do not recall the exact details, but you can override the timeout
> value for the Lasso Connector for IIS by literally putting the new
> value in a plain text file named a certain thing, saved in a certain
> directory. It's been so long since we used IIS that I don't remember
> what to name the file or where to put it, but that might be enough
> information for you to dig something up from the list archives, or
> spur someone else's memory...
>
> HTH,
> Jason
>

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>>
>> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?
>>
>> - -
>> Thanks,
>> Marc Vos

> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: IIS Time out

Rick Draper-2
Hi Marc,

We use a triple of code to keep the connection alive.  I have tried all
sorts of combinations, but this works reliably when inserted in [Records]
*** [/Records] [Iterate...] *** [/Iterate] [Loop...] *** [/Loop] etc where
the result is likely to taka a long time to parse on an IIS server... My
personal record is 4 days!!... Don't ask.

[Records]
        // your code

        Include('/_includes/blank.inc');
        Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0);
        Server_Push;
[/Records]

You need to create an empty file called blank.inc and place it somewhere
appropriate.  What seems to happen is that the call to the file keeps the
lasso connection to IIS alive, resetting the execution time limit on each
pass seems to be necessary (it doesn't work reliably if you just place this
on the page outside the iteration), and Server_Push is what I want to do :-)

... All that being said, if this was something that was working well before,
your IT section has done something.  Did they move the data without the

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: IIS Time out

Try this.
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Max-Execution-Time-p13257093.html

--steve

On 4/26/10 at 4:23 PM, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:

>Hello,
>
>The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server
>and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes.
>Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS)
>sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query
>runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds,
>restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers
>still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2
>minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No
>and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>
>Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?
>
>- -
>Thanks,
>Marc Vos
>

>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
Thanks Rick & Steve for the tips! I'll try them all tomorrow and I'll let you know if it all worked.

- -
Marc

On 26 apr 2010, at 20:54, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Try this.
> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Max-Execution-Time-p13257093.html
>
> --steve
>

> On 4/26/10 at 4:23 PM, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>>
>> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?
>>
>> - -
>> Thanks,
>> Marc Vos

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos

On 26 apr 2010, at 20:16, Rick Draper wrote:

> ... All that being said, if this was something that was working well before,
> your IT section has done something.  Did they move the data without the

Ha, you thought in the same direction! I already send a mail out about new indexes. I can't say if they disappeared or not  - it's not a database I maintain.

- -

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
Update: none of time-out settings do something on this Winshit box. So I went for another solution. I thought I was smart and used two timestamps that span one hour and then redirect_url to the same page, incrementing the hour until I would reach 'today'. That worked for 24 hours, then FF said I redirect too much and stopped the page with a button 'Try again'.

So instead of redirecting, I built the whole lot inside a while loop and then tried Rick's suggestion of Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0). That did only partly do the trick. The thread kept on running but the page itself timed out in the browser. Then I added server_push and now it went all the way without timing-out.

- -
Thanks for the help,
Marc

On 26 apr 2010, at 20:54, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Try this.
> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Max-Execution-Time-p13257093.html
>
> --steve
>

> On 4/26/10 at 4:23 PM, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes. Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS) sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs. I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less. In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>>
>> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under Winshit 2003 Server?
>>
>> - -
>> Thanks,
>> Marc Vos

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: IIS Time out

Rick Draper-2
Hi Marc,

Over many years of dealing with this pain, I found that the only reliable
way to keep it alive is to add all three elements to the code...

Include('/_includes/blank.inc');
Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0);
Server_Push;

I have seen it appear to work with just server_push and various pair
combinations of the 3, but now by default if I have something that is going
to take a long time to process on a Windows Lasso server, I throw those 3
lines into the iteration and my frustration level reduces enormously.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
Okay, I'll add the third component just to be sure ;-)

- -
Marc

On 27 apr 2010, at 20:21, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Over many years of dealing with this pain, I found that the only reliable
> way to keep it alive is to add all three elements to the code...
>
> Include('/_includes/blank.inc');
> Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0);
> Server_Push;
>
> I have seen it appear to work with just server_push and various pair
> combinations of the 3, but now by default if I have something that is going
> to take a long time to process on a Windows Lasso server, I throw those 3
> lines into the iteration and my frustration level reduces enormously.
>
> Very best regards,
>

> Rick

Re: IIS Time out

Rick Draper wrote on 4/27/2010 11:21 AM:
> Over many years of dealing with this pain, I found that the only reliable
> way to keep it alive is to add all three elements to the code...
>
> Include('/_includes/blank.inc');
> Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0);
> Server_Push;

I love voodoo.  This should go into the Duct Tape patch.

Re: IIS Time out

Ke Carlton-3
How about calling and polling the task via Ajax?

This should pretty much be the default approach for anything taking a
substantial amount of time to load... It also prevents no so
irrelavant user reloads.

Ke

On 27 Apr 2010, at 19:11, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update: none of time-out settings do something on this Winshit box.
> So I went for another solution. I thought I was smart and used two
> timestamps that span one hour and then redirect_url to the same
> page, incrementing the hour until I would reach 'today'. That worked
> for 24 hours, then FF said I redirect too much and stopped the page
> with a button 'Try again'.
>
> So instead of redirecting, I built the whole lot inside a while loop
> and then tried Rick's suggestion of Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0).
> That did only partly do the trick. The thread kept on running but
> the page itself timed out in the browser. Then I added server_push
> and now it went all the way without timing-out.
>
> - -
> Thanks for the help,
> Marc
>
> On 26 apr 2010, at 20:54, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Try this.
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Max-Execution-Time-p13257093.html
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On 4/26/10 at 4:23 PM, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The IT here created a problem: they virtualized a SAP-DB server
>>> and now the main query of a Lasso page takes about 3.5 minutes.
>>> Long live a virtual database server. Now IIS (I think it's IIS)
>>> sends a time-out while loading the page on which this query runs.
>>> I have already set the time out in IIS to 600 seconds, restarted
>>> IIS and then restarted the server but all browsers still get a
>>> 'Could not communicate with Lasso Server' after 2 minutes or less.
>>> In Lasso Settings, Limit execution Time is No and here too the
>>> Time Limit is set to 600 seconds. I do not use sessions.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know where I can increase the time-out settings under
>>> Winshit 2003 Server?
>>>
>>> - -
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marc Vos
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
>>>

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
It's a batch routine that is scheduled in Lasso's event manager. There's really nothing to show. The whole point is/was that Lasso initiates the page the same way a browser does and also got a timeout. To test the time-outs, I made some modifications so I could run it interactively and see when/where it got stuck.

- -
Marc

On 27 apr 2010, at 21:07, Ke wrote:

> How about calling and polling the task via Ajax?
>
> This should pretty much be the default approach for anything taking a substantial amount of time to load... It also prevents no so irrelavant user reloads.
>
> Ke
>
> On 27 Apr 2010, at 19:11, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Update: none of time-out settings do something on this Winshit box. So I went for another solution. I thought I was smart and used two timestamps that span one hour and then redirect_url to the same page, incrementing the hour until I would reach 'today'. That worked for 24 hours, then FF said I redirect too much and stopped the page with a button 'Try again'.
>>
>> So instead of redirecting, I built the whole lot inside a while loop and then tried Rick's suggestion of Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0). That did only partly do the trick. The thread kept on running but the page itself timed out in the browser. Then I added server_push and now it went all the way without timing-out.
>>
>> - -
>> Thanks for the help,
>> Marc
>>
>> On 26 apr 2010, at 20:54, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>>
>>> Try this.
>>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Max-Execution-Time-p13257093.html
>>>
>>> --steve
>>>

>>> On 4/26/10 at 4:23 PM, [hidden email] (Marc Vos) pronounced:

>>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: IIS Time out

Marc Vos
It's confirmed. These 3 statements together do the trick.

So my loop now looks like this:

while(true);
        inline(query1)
                records;
                        include('../i/checksomething.inc');
                        if($ok);
                                include('../i/processsomething.inc');
                        /if;
                /records;
        /inline;

        inline(query2);
                records;
                        include('../i/checksomething.inc');
                        if($ok);
                                include('../i/processsomething.inc');
                        /if;
                /records;
        /inline;

        Include('blank.inc');
        Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit(0);
        Server_Push;

        if(somecondition_occurred);
                loop_abort;
        /if;
/while;

All names are just for illustration purposes.

I tested a few combinations and when I leave out the include('blank.inc'), I have to push something major. A simple '.' at each iteration did not work. If I use the include statement, I don't have to output anything and I can store the results in text strings and present them to the user inside a normal layed out page. The includes inside the records/records don't seem to matter, while the include('blank.inc') does - very weird.

Ah, I think I get it : the blank.inc is empty and outputs nothing which is then server_pushed to the page as a keep alive signal.

- -
Marc