How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jolle Carlestam
Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the civilized
world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting experience
could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport to Fort
Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient matter.
Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM at March 1st.

The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of course
it's not made in Lasso either.

HDB
JC

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Paul Melia
http://www.apta.com/links/state_local/fl.cfm

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the
> civilized world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting
> experience could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
> to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient
> matter. Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM
> at March 1st.
>
> The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of
> course it's not made in Lasso either.
>
> HDB
> JC

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Göran Törnquist-2
Tri-Rail is cost effective, but it doesn't run
24/7. It costs something like $4 to get to Fort
Lauderdale.

Miami airport is a labyrinth.

What time are you arriving?

/Göran

>Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what
>goes on in the civilized world, I'm wondering if
>someone with more globetrotting experience could
>share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
>to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective
>and convenient matter. Preferably in time to the
>Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM at March 1st.
>
>The Miami Airport website did not make me any
>smarter. Then of course it's not made in Lasso
>either.
>
>HDB
>JC

>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Brian Loomis-2
I'm a Thursday nighter.
Brian

On Feb 6, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Göran Törnquist wrote:

> Tri-Rail is cost effective, but it doesn't run 24/7. It costs
> something like $4 to get to Fort Lauderdale.
>
> Miami airport is a labyrinth.
>
> What time are you arriving?
>
> /Göran
>
>> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the
>> civilized world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting
>> experience could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
>> to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient
>> matter. Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM
>> at March 1st.
>>
>> The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of
>> course it's not made in Lasso either.
>>
>> HDB
>> JC

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Adam Randall-2
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:42:34 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the civilized
> world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting experience
> could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport to Fort
> Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient matter.
> Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM at March
> 1st.
>
> The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of course
> it's not made in Lasso either.

Catch the Tri-Rail and go to FTL. It runs until around 8:30 PM, maybe 9:30 PM. You'll want to get off north of the FTL airport stop, probably the Broward Blvd station. It'll take an hour to get there from the Miami airport.

Have fun :)

Adam.

Adam Randall                                       http://www.xaren.net
[hidden email]                                   AIM/iChat:  blitz574

"Macintosh users are a special case. They care passionately about the
Mac OS and would rewire their own bodies to run on Mac OS X if such a
thing were possible." -- Peter H. Lewis

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jolle Carlestam
My plain land 5.45 PM. And in a more native form 17.45.

HDB
JC

6 feb 2007 kl. 20.58 skrev Göran Törnquist:

> Tri-Rail is cost effective, but it doesn't run 24/7. It costs
> something like $4 to get to Fort Lauderdale.
>
> Miami airport is a labyrinth.
>
> What time are you arriving?
>
> /Göran
>
>> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the
>> civilized world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting
>> experience could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
>> to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient
>> matter. Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM
>> at March 1st.
>>
>> The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of
>> course it's not made in Lasso either.
>>
>> HDB
>> JC

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

The Tri-Rail weekday northbound schedule:
<http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/ntm_wday.htm>

3 trains depart after 6pm, at 28 minutes past the hour.  Travel time to FLL is 44 minutes.

Once at FLL station, take a taxi down Las Olas to the Riverside Hotel, or transfer for free onto the Broward Country Route 11 bus that runs from the train station down Las Olas right in front of the hotel.
<http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/mapsandschedules_route_11.htm>

For those arriving at the FLL airport, I've taken the Broward County Route 1 bus from the FLL airport to within 3-4 blocks of the Riverside and found it fast, cheap ($1), and convenient.
<http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/mapsandschedules_route_1.htm>

--steve

On Tuesday, February 6, 2007, [hidden email] pronounced:

>Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the civilized
>world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting experience
>could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport to Fort
>Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient matter.
>Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM at March 1st.
>
>The Miami Airport website did not make me any smarter. Then of course
>it's not made in Lasso either.
>
>HDB
>JC

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Which reminds me - how many of us are staying at the Riverside?

I see that Jim's scheduled pre-summit meal/drinks @ the cheescake
factory @ 7pm on the 1st, so you should be in in time for that ;)

On 07/02/2007, at 8:42 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the
> civilized world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting
> experience could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
> to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient
> matter. Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM
> at March 1st.

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jolle Carlestam
I have a reservation at Riverside.

HDB
JC

6 feb 2007 kl. 21.53 skrev Jonathan Guthrie:

> Which reminds me - how many of us are staying at the Riverside?
>
> I see that Jim's scheduled pre-summit meal/drinks @ the cheescake
> factory @ 7pm on the 1st, so you should be in in time for that ;)
>
> On 07/02/2007, at 8:42 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Since I'm just a country boy unaware of what goes on in the
>> civilized world, I'm wondering if someone with more globetrotting
>> experience could share some tips on how to get from Miami Airport
>> to Fort Lauderdale in the most cost effective and convenient
>> matter. Preferably in time to the Summit. I'm arriving around 6 PM
>> at March 1st.
>

> Jono

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jolle Carlestam
Funny, I downloaded their pdf time table. It says "Effective March
2006". To me that sounds a bit outdated. Well I guess that they don't
use Lasso for their website either. They should send someone to my
seminar...

HDB
JC

6 feb 2007 kl. 21.52 skrev Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder:

> The Tri-Rail weekday northbound schedule:
> <http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/ntm_wday.htm>
>
> 3 trains depart after 6pm, at 28 minutes past the hour.  Travel
> time to FLL is 44 minutes.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Steve, that's perfect! I land at some obscene time of the morning
(5am i think)...

The only issue could be knowing which stop it is to get off at?

On 07/02/2007, at 9:52 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> For those arriving at the FLL airport, I've taken the Broward
> County Route 1 bus from the FLL airport to within 3-4 blocks of the
> Riverside and found it fast, cheap ($1), and convenient.
> <http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/mapsandschedules_route_1.htm>

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jolle Carlestam
Hopefully I can catch the train at 6.28. Is it realistic to land at
Miami Airport at 5.45 PM and get onboard a train at 6.28?

HDB
JC

6 feb 2007 kl. 21.52 skrev Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder:

> 3 trains depart after 6pm, at 28 minutes past the hour.  Travel
> time to FLL is 44 minutes.
>
> Once at FLL station, take a taxi down Las Olas to the Riverside
> Hotel, or transfer for free onto the Broward Country Route 11 bus
> that runs from the train station down Las Olas right in front of
> the hotel.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Jonathan Guthrie-5
Steve, that's perfect! I land at some obscene time of the morning
(5am i think)...

The only issue could be knowing which stop it is to get off at?

On 07/02/2007, at 9:52 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> For those arriving at the FLL airport, I've taken the Broward
> County Route 1 bus from the FLL airport to within 3-4 blocks of the
> Riverside and found it fast, cheap ($1), and convenient.
> <http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/mapsandschedules_route_1.htm>

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Doug Noble
JC-do not assume that Miami is the civilized world. It was recently referred
to as a "third world country" by one of our esteemed politicians Tom
Tancredo. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Tancredo> Of course you have to
take a bus from Miami Airport to the Tri-Rail station, since our public
transport system was so well planned.
<http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/bus_shuttle/mia_station.htm>
<http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/bus_shuttle/maps/MIAMI_AIRPORT_MAP.
pdf>

Doug Noble
The southernmost USA Lasso hosting service
ADWEB Services Inc.
http://www.adwebhosting.com
Miami FL

on 2/6/07 3:52 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder at [hidden email]

on 2/6/07 3:59 PM, [hidden email] at [hidden email] wrote:

> Hopefully I can catch the train at 6.28. Is it realistic to land at
> Miami Airport at 5.45 PM and get onboard a train at 6.28?

Unless you have no luggage and are an Olympic sprinter, highly unlikely.

Doug Noble

Jonathan Guthrie wrote on 2/6/2007 12:57 PM:
> The only issue could be knowing which stop it is to get off at?

You can maximize the value of your $1 fare by never getting off.

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

On Wednesday, February 7, 2007, [hidden email] (Jonathan Guthrie) pronounced:

>Which reminds me - how many of us are staying at the Riverside?

My wife and I are staying in the Riverside starting Thu, Mar 1.

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Viaduct Productions
Take your GPS, BlackBook, Google Earth.  Ride your bike.  Heh.

On Feb 6, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> The only issue could be knowing which stop it is to get off at?

Rich in Toronto

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

You can ask the driver to let you know when you reach Las Olas Blvd, but this will help too:

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=SE+3rd+Ave+%26+E+Las+Olas+Blvd,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33301&daddr=620+E+Las+Olas+Blvd,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33301&ie=UTF8&sll=26.119057,-80.136992&sspn=0.043157,0.053644&z=17&om=1>

The Route 1 goes up 3rd Avenue at this point, and the stop is about a 1/4 mile from the hotel.  It's an easy walk.

We're arriving at 8am on Thu, Mar 1 at FLL.

--steve

On Wednesday, February 7, 2007, [hidden email] (Jonathan Guthrie) pronounced:

>Steve, that's perfect! I land at some obscene time of the morning
>(5am i think)...
>
>The only issue could be knowing which stop it is to get off at?
>

>On 07/02/2007, at 9:52 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> For those arriving at the FLL airport, I've taken the Broward
>> County Route 1 bus from the FLL airport to within 3-4 blocks of the
>> Riverside and found it fast, cheap ($1), and convenient.
>> <http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/mapsandschedules_route_1.htm>
>

>Jono
>
>// ---------------------------------------------------------
>/*
>     Jonathan Guthrie
>     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
>     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
>     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890
>
>*/

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: How get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?

Yes, if you have carry-on baggage only and no checked luggage, but you might have a wait at customs.