Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Rick Draper
Hi All,

I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am curious
to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to insert/move
markers and store the relevant details in a database via Lasso?

This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own markers,
and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria

There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
skills.

Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
welcome.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

bfr00
Remember that you must to this on a freely accessible public web site.

If you're doing it for a closed site the license is about $10K.

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am curious
> to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to insert/move
> markers and store the relevant details in a database via Lasso?
>
> This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own markers,
> and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria
>
> There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
> documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
> Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
> skills.
>
> Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
> welcome.
>
> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Rick Draper
Thanks, Bruce.

Unfortunately I am looking at the Google Maps for Enterprise in our
application, but the MapInfo version is around $35k, so it looks like a
bargain.

Very best regards,

Rick

Remember that you must to this on a freely accessible public web site.

If you're doing it for a closed site the license is about $10K.

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am
> curious to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to
> insert/move markers and store the relevant details in a database via
Lasso?

> This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own
> markers, and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria
>
> There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
> documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
> Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
> skills.
>
> Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
> welcome.
>
> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

John Williscroft
Hi Rick
I've a very simple example at www.greenfabrics.co.uk/
addressinput.lasso which was to get round the need to pay for a
licence for mapping on UK post codes! It takes the first part of the
post code to get a general location and allows you to move the
pointer on a Google map to pin-point the location, which is then
stored in a db and used  to view the set on a Google map (although I
can't remember if the demo had that last one).

My customer's version is at www.remanufacturing.org.uk/directory2/
map.lasso

best rgds
john

www.icatching.eu   t:0845 644 2884   f:0871 733 5358

Rick Draper wrote on 3/24/2008 11:28 PM:
> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am curious
> to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to insert/move
> markers and store the relevant details in a database via Lasso?

I haven't played with any of the mapping APIs in a couple of years, but would consider using this if I were going to use one today:

        <http://www.mapstraction.com/>

Here's a great demo that shows how it can provide an interface to a variety of underlying mapping APIs:

        <http://www.mapstraction.com/ljn.php>

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Doug Gentry
Kind of a hokey application, but I wrote Rick off-list last night,
promising to look up my use of Google Maps.

I took a driving trip across the country last summer (probably
repeated this year, too - getting our Bernese Mt. Dog from Southern
Oregon to our vacation place in NY's Adirondack Mountains) and wanted
to plot my way. I didn't have a GPS thingy, so I had a little online
log, and entered city/state information, type of stop, date, mileage,
etc. into a MySQL table. Then I used Google to look up Lat/Lon for
that location.

Then to display I used the Google Maps API to plot the waypoints on a
map of the US - with different colored markers for daytime versus
overnight stops. Click on a marker, and see some info on that stop.
Hoping to add a photo this year. Lasso writes a little, dynamic
<markers>...</markers> file with all the info.

Can't wait to get a GPS, so I can download waypoints automatically.
Though then I'd have to figure out how to mark the overnights, etc.

Here's the result:

http://www.dynapolis.com/trip_display.lasso

I'll send Rick some of the code, and am happy to do the same if anyone
else is interested. I'm sure there are more sophisticated, and/or off
the shelf solutions out there now, but it was fun to try.

...Doug

On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am
> curious
> to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to insert/move
> markers and store the relevant details in a database via Lasso?
>
> This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own
> markers,
> and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria
>
> There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
> documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
> Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
> skills.
>
> Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
> welcome.
>
> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Rick Draper
Thanks, John.  Thanks also to Dominique, Doug and Bil.

The draggable marker / database update is definitely what I need to
implement and I liked the way you worded the instructions in the side
panel.  What I am hoping to be able to do is something like what Google
do now with http://maps.google.com/maps - when you do a search on a
location, there are a number of options in message box, including edit /
move the marker, and a history which is very functional.

A couple of people have contacted me off list regarding solutions they
are developing at the moment and I look forward to working this through
in detail over the next week or so.

Thanks again and very best regards,

Rick

which was to get round the need to pay for a licence for mapping on UK
post codes! It takes the first part of the post code to get a general
location and allows you to move the pointer on a Google map to pin-point
the location, which is then stored in a db and used  to view the set on
a Google map (although I can't remember if the demo had that last one).

My customer's version is at www.remanufacturing.org.uk/directory2/
map.lasso

best rgds
john

On 25 Mar 2008, at 04:28, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am
> curious to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to
> insert/move markers and store the relevant details in a database via
> Lasso?
>
> This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own
> markers, and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria
>
> There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
> documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
> Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
> skills.
>
> Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
> welcome.
>
> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

www.icatching.eu   t:0845 644 2884   f:0871 733 5358

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

John Williscroft
Hi Rick
If you happen to use Dreamweaver, there's a plug-in that assists with
stuff to do with Google maps, although I've not used it.

<www.webassist.com/professional/products/ProductDetails.asp?PID=140>

best rgds
john

On 25 Mar 2008, at 21:37, Rick Draper wrote:

> Thanks, John.  Thanks also to Dominique, Doug and Bil.
>
> The draggable marker / database update is definitely what I need to
> implement and I liked the way you worded the instructions in the side
> panel.  What I am hoping to be able to do is something like what
> Google
> do now with http://maps.google.com/maps - when you do a search on a
> location, there are a number of options in message box, including
> edit /
> move the marker, and a history which is very functional.
>
> A couple of people have contacted me off list regarding solutions they
> are developing at the moment and I look forward to working this
> through
> in detail over the next week or so.
>

> Thanks again and very best regards,
>
> Rick

www.icatching.eu   t:0845 644 2884   f:0871 733 5358

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Jim Sheffer-3
Doug-

Saw your post from March 25, and was wondering if you would still like
to share some of your code :)

I'm looking at possibly implementing this into a site I'm working on,
thinking it would be fun, but would love a "head start" :)...

thanks!

Jim

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> Kind of a hokey application, but I wrote Rick off-list last night,
> promising to look up my use of Google Maps.
>
> I took a driving trip across the country last summer (probably
> repeated this year, too - getting our Bernese Mt. Dog from Southern
> Oregon to our vacation place in NY's Adirondack Mountains) and
> wanted to plot my way. I didn't have a GPS thingy, so I had a little
> online log, and entered city/state information, type of stop, date,
> mileage, etc. into a MySQL table. Then I used Google to look up Lat/
> Lon for that location.
>
> Then to display I used the Google Maps API to plot the waypoints on
> a map of the US - with different colored markers for daytime versus
> overnight stops. Click on a marker, and see some info on that stop.
> Hoping to add a photo this year. Lasso writes a little, dynamic
> <markers>...</markers> file with all the info.
>
> Can't wait to get a GPS, so I can download waypoints automatically.
> Though then I'd have to figure out how to mark the overnights, etc.
>
> Here's the result:
>
> http://www.dynapolis.com/trip_display.lasso
>
> I'll send Rick some of the code, and am happy to do the same if
> anyone else is interested. I'm sure there are more sophisticated,
> and/or off the shelf solutions out there now, but it was fun to try.
>
> ...Doug
>
> On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Rick Draper wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I noticed a few previous postings regarding Google maps, but am
>> curious
>> to know if anyone has a working solution allowing users to insert/
>> move
>> markers and store the relevant details in a database via Lasso?
>>
>> This project has two levels - 1) inserting and editing ones own
>> markers,
>> and 2) viewing markers relevant to some criteria
>>
>> There seems to be a bit of sample PHP code linked in the Google
>> documentation that I will look into more as this project progresses.
>> Looks like it is time to dust off my somewhat rudimentary JavaScript
>> skills.
>>
>> Any feedback or pointers regarding experiences with this would be
>> welcome.
>>
>> Very best regards,
>>
>> Rick
>>

> ---
> Doug Gentry
> Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
> p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
> [hidden email]
> www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Simon Forster

On 3 Jul 2008, at 00:20, James Sheffer wrote:

> I'm looking at possibly implementing this into a site I'm working
> on, thinking it would be fun, but would love a "head start" :)...

It's trivial if you're reasonably comfortably with Javascript. For
both <http://www.classicbritishhotels.com/?v=map/uk-hotel-map.lasso>
and <http://www.acestudytours.co.uk/l/tours.region> I seem to have
created a Javascript global via an include (<http://www.classicbritishhotels.com/?l=map/geocodes
 > and <http://www.acestudytours.co.uk/js/geocodes.lasso>)
respectively. After that, just follow the Google maps documentation.

HTH

Simon Forster

   LDML Ltd
   t: +44 20 7993 8813
   m: +44 79 0528 8198

Re: Google Maps - Markers and database interactivity

Doug Gentry
I'll write Jim off-list, and I see that Simon has posted a solution,
too. Though no great shakes I'd be happy to share with others - just
send me a note off-list.

...Doug Gentry