Geographic Location of IP

Mike Ealy-2
Is there a tag to determine the geographic location of an end user's IP? If
not, any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Mike
Clearwater, FL

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Brian K. Middendorf
On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Mike Ealy wrote:

> Is there a tag to determine the geographic location of an end
> user's IP? If
> not, any suggestions on how to do this?

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago.  I haven't implemented it
yet, but here is what I found:

<http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity>

There is a free and a paid service depending upon how accurate you
want the results to be.

-brian.

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Ramona Rock-2
On 11/27/07 8:12 AM, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Mike Ealy wrote:
>
>> Is there a tag to determine the geographic location of an end
>> user's IP? If
>> not, any suggestions on how to do this?
>
> I ran into this problem a few weeks ago.  I haven't implemented it
> yet, but here is what I found:
>
> <http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity>
>
> There is a free and a paid service depending upon how accurate you
> want the results to be.
>
> -brian.

This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of subscribing
to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually change in
terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the impression
that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list of IP
addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in terms of
city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for those
areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might need to
just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something else, I
mean.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 11/27/07 at 1:27 PM, [hidden email] (Ramona Rock) wrote:

>This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of subscribing
>to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually change in
>terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the impression
>that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list of IP
>addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in terms of
>city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for those
>areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might need to
>just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something else, I
>mean.
>
>Thanks for any input!

They don't change very often, but I know from experience that
they do change.  My local cable company was sold to a Canadian
company a few years back and for a few months I would be
identified as a Canadian customer based on my IP address.
Eventually, the block of IP addresses we were assigned was relocated.

I think you can really only rely on the geolocation as a hint.
It is a great way to default your Web site to a language or
currency, but you should always allow the visitor to select a
different language or currency.  They could be a traveller who
needs to see the site in their home language or they could be
using some kind of remote login.

If you are using it for access control you should at least
provide a method for users to ask you to modify the database if
there's an error in their location.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Brian K. Middendorf
> This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of
> subscribing
> to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually
> change in
> terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the
> impression
> that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list of IP
> addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in terms of
> city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for those
> areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might
> need to
> just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something
> else, I
> mean.

For the project I am working on, the client wanted a map chart to
show where Web site traffic is coming from.  It doesn't have to be
super accurate because critical business decisions will not be based
on the data.

With that in mind, the monthly updated (versus weekly) free service
with one percent less accuracy at the country level and 10% less
accuracy at the city level (not important here) is fine rather than
paying $90 per month for more accurate data.

-brian.

Re: Geographic Location of IP

jasonhuck
Google Analytics does that, and it's free:

http://www.google.com/analytics/

- jason

On Nov 27, 2007 4:52 PM, Brian K. Middendorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of
> > subscribing
> > to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually
> > change in
> > terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the
> > impression
> > that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list of IP
> > addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in terms of
> > city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for those
> > areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might
> > need to
> > just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something
> > else, I
> > mean.
>
> For the project I am working on, the client wanted a map chart to
> show where Web site traffic is coming from.  It doesn't have to be
> super accurate because critical business decisions will not be based
> on the data.
>
> With that in mind, the monthly updated (versus weekly) free service
> with one percent less accuracy at the country level and 10% less
> accuracy at the city level (not important here) is fine rather than
> paying $90 per month for more accurate data.
>
> -brian.

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Ramona Rock-2
Actually, for a project I'm working on, I'd really just like a long list of
IP addresses (or just the beginning string, if that's all it takes) and the
city/state/country they probably represent.  I could get into why, but the
explanation would be unwieldy and likely of little interest.  I just checked
out the Maxmind site, and I'm having trouble unlocking their format since I
don't want to input into a database in exactly the way they describe.  As
far as I can tell after some preliminary browsing, it's not clear that
Google Analytics does either.  It seems like this should be a simple thing,
but  . . . ???

Does anyone happen to know offhand where I could get such a thing?

Thanks again for any input!

On 11/27/07 2:00 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google Analytics does that, and it's free:
>
> http://www.google.com/analytics/
>
> - jason
>

> On Nov 27, 2007 4:52 PM, Brian K. Middendorf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of
>>> subscribing
>>> to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually
>>> change in
>>> terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the
>>> impression
>>> that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list of IP
>>> addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in terms of
>>> city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for those
>>> areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might
>>> need to
>>> just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something
>>> else, I
>>> mean.
>>
>> For the project I am working on, the client wanted a map chart to
>> show where Web site traffic is coming from.  It doesn't have to be
>> super accurate because critical business decisions will not be based
>> on the data.
>>
>> With that in mind, the monthly updated (versus weekly) free service
>> with one percent less accuracy at the country level and 10% less
>> accuracy at the city level (not important here) is fine rather than
>> paying $90 per month for more accurate data.
>>
>> -brian.

Re: Geographic Location of IP

andre hopkins

google analytics will display visitor locations. but is there a way
to hook into google analytics?

so like - if this visitor is from the state of new york - then show
them this page?

the downside of google analytics is that it also needs cookies and
javascript to perform - so you can't get pure ip functionality.

i've heard of people hooking into google maps to get ip location, but
i haven't looked closely at it. here's a few examples
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/find-ip-location-with-google-
maps.html
http://kharkoma.homelinux.com/gmaps/gmaptc.html
http://www.iplocationfinder.com/location.htm

google ads also does this - you can specify ad campaigns by
geographic location.

anyway - this would be incredible for e-commerce

* be able to show products relevant to the persons location
* push visiting retail stores if they are "local"
* flag orders where the ip address is very different from the billing
address like from a different country, or where the ip address is
being spoofed.

that last one - i just know this is possible from talking with some
ip location services who say they are a few tricks to discovering if
an ip has been spoofed. so like if its a big order, and has been
flagged, the vendor might call to get a confirmation.

i know its still very inexact and rough - like you wouldn't want to
be foolish and declare, you are in chicago so visit our store at this
address. but there's still a lot of things you could do with the
content and product presentation, that would actually be helpful and
relevant for the shopper.

andre

On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> Google Analytics does that, and it's free:
>
> http://www.google.com/analytics/
>
> - jason
>

> On Nov 27, 2007 4:52 PM, Brian K. Middendorf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is interesting to me as well.  However, along the lines of
>>> subscribing
>>> to some sort of "paid update," how often do IP addresses actually
>>> change in
>>> terms of the geolocation they suggest?  Meaning, I'm under the
>>> impression
>>> that new ones do get added periodically, but if you have a list
>>> of IP
>>> addresses today that are more or less correctly identified in
>>> terms of
>>> city/state/country, can those be relied on to remain correct for
>>> those
>>> areas?  Sooo, in order to keep a relatively current list one might
>>> need to
>>> just add new ones?  Instead of ALSO changing old ones to something
>>> else, I
>>> mean.
>>
>> For the project I am working on, the client wanted a map chart to
>> show where Web site traffic is coming from.  It doesn't have to be
>> super accurate because critical business decisions will not be based
>> on the data.
>>
>> With that in mind, the monthly updated (versus weekly) free service
>> with one percent less accuracy at the country level and 10% less
>> accuracy at the city level (not important here) is fine rather than
>> paying $90 per month for more accurate data.
>>
>> -brian.

> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Fabrizio Carioni

>For the project I am working on, the client wanted a map chart to
>show where Web site traffic is coming from.  It doesn't have to be
>super accurate because critical business decisions will not be based
>on the data.
>
>With that in mind, the monthly updated (versus weekly) free service
>with one percent less accuracy at the country level and 10% less
>accuracy at the city level (not important here) is fine rather than
>paying $90 per month for more accurate data.
>
>-brian.

I use Maxmind but if you need a map chart use Google analytics. It's
free if you dont' have too much traffic.
If you are an Adwords customer it's free even if you have a lot of
traffic, even on other sites. My case.

Ciao

Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Brian K. Middendorf
On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> Google Analytics does that, and it's free:
>
> http://www.google.com/analytics/

If I wanted individual users on the site to have their own
statistics, then I can do that?

Can I repurpose Google's info without violating their terms of use?

So, yeah, Google Analytics is free, but I don't think it easily
accomplishes what is needed.

-brian.

Re: Geographic Location of IP

Fabrizio Carioni
>On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>
>>Google Analytics does that, and it's free:
>>
>>http://www.google.com/analytics/
>
>If I wanted individual users on the site to have their own
>statistics, then I can do that?

You can set up users to access the reports without giving them admin
access and (if I remeber correctly) have pdf reports sent out to them.

HTH
FAbrizio
Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

Re: Geographic Location of IP

dguardiola

Le 28 nov. 07 à 02:42, Brian K. Middendorf a écrit :

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>
>> Google Analytics does that, and it's free:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/analytics/
>
> If I wanted individual users on the site to have their own
> statistics, then I can do that?

or you can use Jason's tag for that purpose, search for google
analytics on tagswap.net