FileMaker Virtualization

maxwellk2
Hi Lassoers,

I run a co-located Mac Xserve from 2008 (3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 7200 RPM SAS, 14 GB RAM) with Lasso 8.6 and FileMaker Server 11. I've started researching the move to virtualized servers, CentOS for Lasso and Windows 2008 for FileMaker. So far I've only tested Rackspace Next Gen servers but FileMaker performance on a Windows 2008 server is terrible.

Running some benchmarking software under my own virtualization of Windows 2008 (via Parallels) on the Xserve vs. Rackspace kind of tells the story. Drive performance is comparable, RAM is about 2/3 the speed of the Xserve, but CPU performance is about half. These all add up to an unusable FileMaker Server with a simple test; create 25 records, edit each record, delete each record. Lasso is running from my sandbox and ping time to each of the three FileMaker instances is roughly the same, 30-40 ms.

        Xserve native: 24 seconds (yes I know, FM performance sucks, but that's an old thread)
        Xserve virtualized 4 GB Windows 2008: 36 seconds
        Rackspace 4 GB Windows 2008: 80 seconds

I've gone thru all the recommended optimizations for FileMaker and Windows 2008 I could find, nothing seems to have a big enough impact. Results are even the same between a Rackspace 2 GB server and a 4 GB server. I've also tested FMS11 vs FMS12, thinking the 64-bit version of FMS12 would make a difference, but it's negligible under virtualization. I haven't yet tested a Rackspace 8 GB server, but at those monthly prices I'm tempted to stick with my own co-located hardware for the time being. I even tested Rackspace's 1st Gen servers, slightly better, but negligible.

I am migrating away from FMS as a datasource, but that's a multi-year processes and then still may never break the bond entirely.

Is anyone running virtualized FileMaker Server with Rackspace, Amazon, or another vendor and getting decent results via Lasso? For less than $250/month?

Thanks,
Max

Re: FileMaker Virtualization

John May-2
We offer virtual OS X servers that run FileMaker and Lasso great.  Our
pricing starts at $99/month - contact me off-list at
jmay(at)pointinspace.com for details.

Not all VMs are created equal.  We run 2009 Xserves, connected to
Promise VTrak fibre channel SANs running 15k SAS drives.  We have had
clients comment our VMs run much faster than Rackspace and Amazon's.

        - John

On 4/24/13 1:37 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> Hi Lassoers,
>
> I run a co-located Mac Xserve from 2008 (3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon,
> 7200 RPM SAS, 14 GB RAM) with Lasso 8.6 and FileMaker Server 11. I've
> started researching the move to virtualized servers, CentOS for Lasso
> and Windows 2008 for FileMaker. So far I've only tested Rackspace
> Next Gen servers but FileMaker performance on a Windows 2008 server
> is terrible.
>
> Running some benchmarking software under my own virtualization of
> Windows 2008 (via Parallels) on the Xserve vs. Rackspace kind of
> tells the story. Drive performance is comparable, RAM is about 2/3
> the speed of the Xserve, but CPU performance is about half. These all
> add up to an unusable FileMaker Server with a simple test; create 25
> records, edit each record, delete each record. Lasso is running from
> my sandbox and ping time to each of the three FileMaker instances is
> roughly the same, 30-40 ms.
>
> Xserve native: 24 seconds (yes I know, FM performance sucks, but
> that's an old thread) Xserve virtualized 4 GB Windows 2008: 36
> seconds Rackspace 4 GB Windows 2008: 80 seconds
>
> I've gone thru all the recommended optimizations for FileMaker and
> Windows 2008 I could find, nothing seems to have a big enough impact.
> Results are even the same between a Rackspace 2 GB server and a 4 GB
> server. I've also tested FMS11 vs FMS12, thinking the 64-bit version
> of FMS12 would make a difference, but it's negligible under
> virtualization. I haven't yet tested a Rackspace 8 GB server, but at
> those monthly prices I'm tempted to stick with my own co-located
> hardware for the time being. I even tested Rackspace's 1st Gen
> servers, slightly better, but negligible.
>
> I am migrating away from FMS as a datasource, but that's a multi-year
> processes and then still may never break the bond entirely.
>
> Is anyone running virtualized FileMaker Server with Rackspace,
> Amazon, or another vendor and getting decent results via Lasso? For
> less than $250/month?
>
> Thanks, Max

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions         800.664.8610 919.338.8198

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: FileMaker Virtualization

Seth Ganahl
+1 for Point in Space.

Stellar support, and no issues with the VMs

On 4/24/13 12:42 PM, "John May" <[hidden email]> did quoth:

Seth C Ganahl (501) 282-4867
Ganahl Consulting ­ Web Applications
http://www.ganahlconsulting.com/