FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Marcus  Sundgren
My old FileMaker Server 7 machine recently died on me and I had to buy a new one. Of course all new Macs come with Snow Lepard and FMS7 doesn't run on that. So, I have started to migrate to FMS 10 instead. I have most stuff up and running but f I can't get Lasso connected to WPE for the life of me. I suppose I'm missing something obvious but I can't find anything relevant in the docs.

I'm using a 2-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 10 on it's own machine (the new Mac Mini) and Apache/Lasso/WPE on another machine. The Master works perfectly and FMP clients can connect. The Admin console has connected to the WPE on the webserver, or so it claims anyway. I have only enabled XML as that should be all that Lasso needs.

The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.

Anyone that can shed some light on this? I've tried googling for solutions but I must be severely google impaired for I find nothing ...

/Marcus

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

gzasuwa
I could never get it working properly in a 2 machine deployment so I
put FMS10 on one machine (single machine) and Lasso and Apache on the
second one.  This worked perfectly and was actually faster then a 2
machine deployment.  I was able to finally get the 2 machine working
but it was a combination of using the right en0 and en1 ethernet
ports.  And I was disappointed in the performance.

Sincerely,

Gerard Zasuwa Gary
Senior Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health System
(313) 916-2651 work
(313) 585-9621 NEW CELL

On Apr 6, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Marcus Sundgren wrote:

> My old FileMaker Server 7 machine recently died on me and I had to
> buy a new one. Of course all new Macs come with Snow Lepard and FMS7
> doesn't run on that. So, I have started to migrate to FMS 10
> instead. I have most stuff up and running but f I can't get Lasso
> connected to WPE for the life of me. I suppose I'm missing something
> obvious but I can't find anything relevant in the docs.
>
> I'm using a 2-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 10 on it's
> own machine (the new Mac Mini) and Apache/Lasso/WPE on another
> machine. The Master works perfectly and FMP clients can connect. The
> Admin console has connected to the WPE on the webserver, or so it
> claims anyway. I have only enabled XML as that should be all that
> Lasso needs.
>
> The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and
> username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these
> values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify
> these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to put 127.0.0.1 in
> as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is
> set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and
> password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set
> this up on the FileMaker side.
>
> Anyone that can shed some light on this? I've tried googling for
> solutions but I must be severely google impaired for I find
> nothing ...
>
> /Marcus

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that
may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected
from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance
on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this
email in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the
email from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using
e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health
at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that
our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send
e-mail or Internet communications to us.

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

These guides might provide some troubleshooting assistance:
http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fms10_getting_started_en.pdf

http://www.lassosoft.com/Downloads/?product=Documentation_and_Guides&platform=&version=FileMaker%20Server%209%20Quick%20Start.pdf

According to the FMS installation guide, the admin
console/deployment assistant should indicate the IP/port.

--steve

On 4/6/10 at 7:19 PM, [hidden email] (Marcus Sundgren) pronounced:

>My old FileMaker Server 7 machine recently died on me and I had
>to buy a new one. Of course all new Macs come with Snow Lepard
>and FMS7 doesn't run on that. So, I have started to migrate to
>FMS 10 instead. I have most stuff up and running but f I can't
>get Lasso connected to WPE for the life of me. I suppose I'm
>missing something obvious but I can't find anything relevant in
>the docs.
>
>I'm using a 2-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 10 on
>it's own machine (the new Mac Mini) and Apache/Lasso/WPE on
>another machine. The Master works perfectly and FMP clients can
>connect. The Admin console has connected to the WPE on the
>webserver, or so it claims anyway. I have only enabled XML as
>that should be all that Lasso needs.
>The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port
>and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on
>what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find
>anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have
>tried to put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same
>machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any
>better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I
>have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.
>
>Anyone that can shed some light on this? I've tried googling
>for solutions but I must be severely google impaired for I find
>nothing ...
>/Marcus --
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Neil Enock
Hi Marcus,

I have not heard of having the WPE on anything other than the Server box.  Is that a valid configuration?

Neil
--
    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                       ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print

ph 403.452.5253         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.398.1511         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Marcus Sundgren wrote:

> My old FileMaker Server 7 machine recently died on me and I had to buy a new one. Of course all new Macs come with Snow Lepard and FMS7 doesn't run on that. So, I have started to migrate to FMS 10 instead. I have most stuff up and running but f I can't get Lasso connected to WPE for the life of me. I suppose I'm missing something obvious but I can't find anything relevant in the docs.
>
> I'm using a 2-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 10 on it's own machine (the new Mac Mini) and Apache/Lasso/WPE on another machine. The Master works perfectly and FMP clients can connect. The Admin console has connected to the WPE on the webserver, or so it claims anyway. I have only enabled XML as that should be all that Lasso needs.
>
> The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.
>
> Anyone that can shed some light on this? I've tried googling for solutions but I must be severely google impaired for I find nothing ...
>
> /Marcus

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

stevepiercy
It is, but it is "challenging" to set up.  Some may say
"difficult" or "absurd".  The docs from FM must be followed
precisely.  I recommend printing out the pages so you can check
off each step as you go along.  It's too easy to mess up.

--steve

On 4/6/10 at 2:24 PM, [hidden email] (Neil Enock) pronounced:

>Hi Marcus,
>
>I have not heard of having the WPE on anything other than the
>Server box.  Is that a valid configuration?
>
>Neil
>--
>Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>
>ph 403.452.5253         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>fx 403.398.1511         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
>

>On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Marcus Sundgren wrote:
>
>>My old FileMaker Server 7 machine recently died on me and I had to buy a new one. Of
>course all new Macs come with Snow Lepard and FMS7 doesn't run
>on that. So, I have started to migrate to FMS 10 instead. I
>have most stuff up and running but f I can't get Lasso
>connected to WPE for the life of me. I suppose I'm missing
>something obvious but I can't find anything relevant in the docs.
>>
>>I'm using a 2-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 10 on it's own machine (the new
>Mac Mini) and Apache/Lasso/WPE on another machine. The Master
>works perfectly and FMP clients can connect. The Admin console
>has connected to the WPE on the webserver, or so it claims
>anyway. I have only enabled XML as that should be all that
>Lasso needs.
>>
>>The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password
>but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are
>supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these
>things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to put 127.0.0.1 in as
>the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is
>set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username
>and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where
>to set this up on the FileMaker side.
>>
>>Anyone that can shed some light on this? I've tried googling for solutions but I must be
>severely google impaired for I find nothing ...
>>
>>/Marcus --
>>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Lasso-2
>The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to
>put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.

I have the same setup and it works fine.  FMSA 7 was actually more cumbersome, cause you had to administer the WPE using a crappy Tomcat admin page with some settings that existed nowhere else.  FMSA 8 changed all that.

1.  The IP and Port config you're using is fine.  You can test this by launching a web browser on your WebServer/Lasso/IWP computer and typing in the following URL:
http://127.0.0.1/fmi/xml/FMPXMLLAYOUT.xml
You should see a "-1" or something similar rendered on the page.  This means that the url Lasso will query will respond with something.
2.  The UserID and Password in the Lasso Admin FMWPE config page should be the Filemaker Pro Account Name and Password of an account setup to access the the databases via XML Web Publishing.
3. Furthermore, the Privilege Set to which this account belongs must have it's Extended Privileges checked to allow Acces via XML Web Publishing.

So, in setup order:

1. I Filemaker, go to the database file that you are trying to access with Lasso.
2. Setup an account and a passsword for Lasso to use.  You probably already have one, but let's say "lassoaccount" with password: "thepassword"
3. Setup a "WebAccess" Privelege Set for Web XML access.
4. Associate that "lassoaccount" Account with that "WebAccess" Privilege Set.
5. Edit the "WebAccess " privilege set so that only the records/fields/layouts you want Lasso to have access to are accessible.
6. Make sure you tick off the "Allow Access via XML Web Publishing" checkbox for the "WebAccess" Privlege Set.

In Filemaker Server Admin
Make sure the file you are trying to access via XML has a checkmark under the XML column in the Databases list.

In Lasso Admin>Data Sources>Lasso Connector for Filemaker SA
1. Add Host
2. Address: 127.0.0.1 ; Port: 80
3. Host UserName: lassoaccount
4. Host Password: thepassword

That should do it.

Security note:  If your WPE is on the same machine as your public web server, note that anyone on the internets can POST queries to it.  They will need to post the correct ID & Password of an account that can connect via XML publishing to actually get
any data, so make sure your ID & Password are good and strong.

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Neil Enock
Interesting.

Do you know if there are there any speed gains with this setup as opposed to having WPE on the same box as Filemaker server? Do you still regularly get the...

"Tue Apr 06 13:21:43 MDT 2010 FMS ERROR wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING."

...errors like many (most) of us do?

Neil
--

On Apr 6, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Lasso wrote:

>> The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to
>> put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.
>

> I have the same setup and it works fine.  FMSA 7 was actually more cumbersome, cause you had to administer the WPE using a crappy Tomcat admin page with some settings that existed nowhere else.  FMSA 8 changed all that.
>
> 1.  The IP and Port config you're using is fine.  You can test this by launching a web browser on your WebServer/Lasso/IWP computer and typing in the following URL:
> http://127.0.0.1/fmi/xml/FMPXMLLAYOUT.xml
> You should see a "-1" or something similar rendered on the page.  This means that the url Lasso will query will respond with something.
> 2.  The UserID and Password in the Lasso Admin FMWPE config page should be the Filemaker Pro Account Name and Password of an account setup to access the the databases via XML Web Publishing.
> 3. Furthermore, the Privilege Set to which this account belongs must have it's Extended Privileges checked to allow Acces via XML Web Publishing.
>
> So, in setup order:
>
> 1. I Filemaker, go to the database file that you are trying to access with Lasso.
> 2. Setup an account and a passsword for Lasso to use.  You probably already have one, but let's say "lassoaccount" with password: "thepassword"
> 3. Setup a "WebAccess" Privelege Set for Web XML access.
> 4. Associate that "lassoaccount" Account with that "WebAccess" Privilege Set.
> 5. Edit the "WebAccess " privilege set so that only the records/fields/layouts you want Lasso to have access to are accessible.
> 6. Make sure you tick off the "Allow Access via XML Web Publishing" checkbox for the "WebAccess" Privlege Set.
>
> In Filemaker Server Admin
> Make sure the file you are trying to access via XML has a checkmark under the XML column in the Databases list.
>
> In Lasso Admin>Data Sources>Lasso Connector for Filemaker SA
> 1. Add Host
> 2. Address: 127.0.0.1 ; Port: 80
> 3. Host UserName: lassoaccount
> 4. Host Password: thepassword
>
> That should do it.
>
> Security note:  If your WPE is on the same machine as your public web server, note that anyone on the internets can POST queries to it.  They will need to post the correct ID & Password of an account that can connect via XML publishing to actually get
> any data, so make sure your ID & Password are good and strong.

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Waters, Thomas C
I haven't been following this thread too closely.

I'm using a 3 box set up
1) FMP SErver Advanced
2) WPE
3) Apache/Lasso

This has worked great for us.

I have also used:
1) FMP Server Advanced (all parts)
2) Apache/Lasso

Because the WPE and Apache/Lasso both use port 80, I think it would be too difficult to get the WPE and Apache/Lasso on the same server.

--
Thomas Waters
Director of New Media

On Apr 6, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Neil Enock wrote:

> [...]
>> 6. Make sure you tick off the "Allow Access via XML Web Publishing" checkbox for the "WebAccess" Privlege Set.
>>
>> In Filemaker Server Admin
>> Make sure the file you are trying to access via XML has a checkmark under the XML column in the Databases list.
>>
>> In Lasso Admin>Data Sources>Lasso Connector for Filemaker SA
>> 1. Add Host
>> 2. Address: 127.0.0.1 ; Port: 80
>> 3. Host UserName: lassoaccount
>> 4. Host Password: thepassword
>>
>> That should do it.
>>
>> Security note:  If your WPE is on the same machine as your public web server, note that anyone on the internets can POST queries to it.  They will need to post the correct ID & Password of an account that can connect via XML publishing to actually get
>> any data, so make sure your ID & Password are good and strong.

Hi Walter,

Any noticeable speed or performance issues between the two systems?

Neil

6 apr 2010 kl. 19.42 skrev Gerard Zasuwa:

> I could never get it working properly in a 2 machine deployment so I put FMS10 on one machine (single machine) and Lasso and Apache on the second one.  This worked perfectly and was actually faster then a 2 machine deployment.  I was able to finally get the 2 machine working but it was a combination of using the right en0 and en1 ethernet ports.  And I was disappointed in the performance.

This sounds like a two machine setup to me even though the WPE resides on the database server machine. You still need to have the Web Server Module installed on the Apache/Lasso machine, right?

6 apr 2010 kl. 22.21 skrev Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder:

> These guides might provide some troubleshooting assistance:
> http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fms10_getting_started_en.pdf
>
> http://www.lassosoft.com/Downloads/?product=Documentation_and_Guides&platform=&version=FileMaker%20Server%209%20Quick%20Start.pdf
>
> According to the FMS installation guide, the admin console/deployment assistant should indicate the IP/port.

That second document is what I failed to find. Hopefully that will be enough for me to get this rolling. I will test it tomorrow.

6 apr 2010 kl. 23.06 skrev Lasso:

>> The FMS 9 connector in Lasso admin wants me to specify IP, port and username/password but I cant find information ANYWHERE on what these values are supposed to be. Neither can I find anywhere to specify these things in FileMaker Server. I have tried to
>> put 127.0.0.1 in as the IP as WPE resides on the same machine as Lasso. The pot is set to 80 as I haven't found any better alternatives. Username and password is blank so far as I have absolutely no idea where to set this up on the FileMaker side.
>

> I have the same setup and it works fine.  FMSA 7 was actually more cumbersome, cause you had to administer the WPE using a crappy Tomcat admin page with some settings that existed nowhere else.  FMSA 8 changed all that.
>
> 1.  The IP and Port config you're using is fine.  You can test this by launching a web browser on your WebServer/Lasso/IWP computer and typing in the following URL:
> http://127.0.0.1/fmi/xml/FMPXMLLAYOUT.xml
> You should see a "-1" or something similar rendered on the page.  This means that the url Lasso will query will respond with something.
> 2.  The UserID and Password in the Lasso Admin FMWPE config page should be the Filemaker Pro Account Name and Password of an account setup to access the the databases via XML Web Publishing.
> 3. Furthermore, the Privilege Set to which this account belongs must have it's Extended Privileges checked to allow Acces via XML Web Publishing.

I see that most of this information is in the FMS 9 Quick Start Guide that Steve linked to. That test URL is what I've been looking for. It's hard find the problem unless you can diagnose the setup ...

> So, in setup order:
>
> 1. I Filemaker, go to the database file that you are trying to access with Lasso.
> 2. Setup an account and a passsword for Lasso to use.  You probably already have one, but let's say "lassoaccount" with password: "thepassword"
> 3. Setup a "WebAccess" Privelege Set for Web XML access.
> 4. Associate that "lassoaccount" Account with that "WebAccess" Privilege Set.
> 5. Edit the "WebAccess " privilege set so that only the records/fields/layouts you want Lasso to have access to are accessible.
> 6. Make sure you tick off the "Allow Access via XML Web Publishing" checkbox for the "WebAccess" Privlege Set.
>
> In Filemaker Server Admin
> Make sure the file you are trying to access via XML has a checkmark under the XML column in the Databases list.

I'm quite confident that the databases are properly set up already as the have the checkmark under XML in the Server Admin listing. I will go through your list when I get back to the office tomorrow to make sure that I haven't messed something up though.

> In Lasso Admin>Data Sources>Lasso Connector for Filemaker SA
> 1. Add Host
> 2. Address: 127.0.0.1 ; Port: 80
> 3. Host UserName: lassoaccount
> 4. Host Password: thepassword

Well, adding the proper username/password for the DB's is hopefully all I need to do to get it running. I will see in the morning.

> That should do it.
>
> Security note:  If your WPE is on the same machine as your public web server, note that anyone on the internets can POST queries to it.  They will need to post the correct ID & Password of an account that can connect via XML publishing to actually get
> any data, so make sure your ID & Password are good and strong.

Ouch! That certainly makes the config with the WPE on the database machine more attractive.

/Marcus

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

gzasuwa
It is two machines (lasso and APache on #1), ( FMS10 and WPE on #2).
#2 is privately connected to #1 via ethernet private network, en1(#1)
to en0 on #2.

Works nicely.

Sincerely,

Gerard Zasuwa Gary
Senior Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health System
(313)-916-2651 work
(313)-585-9621 NEW CELL
(248)-360-0456 home

On Apr 6, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Marcus Sundgren wrote:

> 6 apr 2010 kl. 19.42 skrev Gerard Zasuwa:
>
>> I could never get it working properly in a 2 machine deployment so
>> I put FMS10 on one machine (single machine) and Lasso and Apache on
>> the second one.  This worked perfectly and was actually faster then
>> a 2 machine deployment.  I was able to finally get the 2 machine
>> working but it was a combination of using the right en0 and en1
>> ethernet ports.  And I was disappointed in the performance.
>
> This sounds like a two machine setup to me even though the WPE
> resides on the database server machine. You still need to have the
> Web Server Module installed on the Apache/Lasso machine, right?
>
> /Marcus

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

On 4/6/10 at 6:22 PM, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced:

>I'm using a 3 box set up
>1) FMP SErver Advanced
>2) WPE
>3) Apache/Lasso
>
>This has worked great for us.
>
>I have also used:
>1) FMP Server Advanced (all parts)
>2) Apache/Lasso

This is one of my peeves.  There is no FMPSA.  The client is
FMP, the server is FMS or FMSA.  Product naming has never been a
strong point for the marketing team at FM.

>Because the WPE and Apache/Lasso both use port 80, I think it
>would be too difficult to get the WPE and Apache/Lasso on the
>same server.

If that were true, then how can I run FMS and all its
components, Lasso and Apache all together on the same machine?

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Neil Enock
Steve,

What sort of load or throughput can you get when they are all on one box?

I have the recurring problem of the WPE choking and dying when they are on 2 machines and was wondering if I night to better on one!  There are only ever 2 FMP clients and maybe a dozen web visitors and it gets choked up pretty bad.  Sometimes it will clear up, other times the WPE will crash.

Thanks,
Neil
--

On Apr 6, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> On 4/6/10 at 6:22 PM, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced:
>
>> I'm using a 3 box set up
>> 1) FMP SErver Advanced
>> 2) WPE
>> 3) Apache/Lasso
>>
>> This has worked great for us.
>>
>> I have also used:
>> 1) FMP Server Advanced (all parts)
>> 2) Apache/Lasso
>
> This is one of my peeves.  There is no FMPSA.  The client is FMP, the server is FMS or FMSA.  Product naming has never been a strong point for the marketing team at FM.
>
>> Because the WPE and Apache/Lasso both use port 80, I think it would be too difficult to get the WPE and Apache/Lasso on the same server.
>
> If that were true, then how can I run FMS and all its components, Lasso and Apache all together on the same machine?
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

stevepiercy
I'm not saying a one-machine setup is the best.  The docs from
FM on setting up the server provide guidance for various
situations and their support forums might provide various
anecdotes and further recommendations.

Based on the information you provide, your setup is the least
likely culprit for problems with the WPE.  Don't go there.  When
you have issues with the WPE, it is almost always due to
inefficient queries.  Have you worked through these earlier recommendations?

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Filemaker-WPE-crashes---XSLT-culprit-apparently-p28106709.html

Regardless of the WPE issue, it is likely you could get away
with a one-machine installation because the number of requests
is very low.

--steve

On 4/6/10 at 9:03 PM, [hidden email] (Neil Enock) pronounced:

>Steve,
>
>What sort of load or throughput can you get when they are all on one box?
>
>I have the recurring problem of the WPE choking and dying when
>they are on 2 machines and was wondering if I night to better
>on one!  There are only ever 2 FMP clients and maybe a dozen
>web visitors and it gets choked up pretty bad.  Sometimes it
>will clear up, other times the WPE will crash.
>
>Thanks,
>Neil
>--
>Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>
>ph 403.452.5253         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>fx 403.398.1511         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
>

>On Apr 6, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>>On 4/6/10 at 6:22 PM, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced:
>>
>>> I'm using a 3 box set up
>>> 1) FMP SErver Advanced
>>> 2) WPE
>>> 3) Apache/Lasso
>>>   This has worked great for us.
>>>   I have also used:
>>> 1) FMP Server Advanced (all parts)
>>> 2) Apache/Lasso
>>
>>This is one of my peeves.  There is no FMPSA.  The client is FMP, the server is FMS or
>FMSA.  Product naming has never been a strong point for the marketing team at FM.
>>
>>> Because the WPE and Apache/Lasso both use port 80, I think it would be too difficult to
>get the WPE and Apache/Lasso on the same server.
>>
>>If that were true, then how can I run FMS and all its components, Lasso and Apache all
>together on the same machine?
>>
>>--steve
>>
>>-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>><[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>
>>

>>--
>>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Waters, Thomas C
We never have any problems with the WPE crashing. We are using the 3 box setup that Iisted for security purposes more than performance. The University expects the webserver to be in the DMZ and a database server to be in the server zone, so my box #1 is in the server zone, and #2 and #3 are in the DMZ.  Everything on the website with Lasso is coming from FMP, and most of our databases also have FMP client access. There are rarely more than 3 or 4 FMP clients on at any given time, so that usage is pretty low. We also have a number of databases that use IWP.
--
Thomas Waters
Director of New Media

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Neil Enock wrote:

> Steve,
>
> What sort of load or throughput can you get when they are all on one box?
>
> I have the recurring problem of the WPE choking and dying when they are on 2 machines and was wondering if I night to better on one!  There are only ever 2 FMP clients and maybe a dozen web visitors and it gets choked up pretty bad.  Sometimes it will clear up, other times the WPE will crash.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
> --
>    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>                       ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>             Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>
> ph 403.452.5253         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
> fx 403.398.1511         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
>

> On Apr 6, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/10 at 6:22 PM, [hidden email] (Waters, Thomas C) pronounced:
>>
>>> I'm using a 3 box set up
>>> 1) FMP SErver Advanced
>>> 2) WPE
>>> 3) Apache/Lasso
>>>
>>> This has worked great for us.
>>>
>>> I have also used:
>>> 1) FMP Server Advanced (all parts)
>>> 2) Apache/Lasso
>>
>> This is one of my peeves.  There is no FMPSA.  The client is FMP, the server is FMS or FMSA.  Product naming has never been a strong point for the marketing team at FM.
>>
>>> Because the WPE and Apache/Lasso both use port 80, I think it would be too difficult to get the WPE and Apache/Lasso on the same server.
>>
>> If that were true, then how can I run FMS and all its components, Lasso and Apache all together on the same machine?
>>
>> --steve

>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: FileMaker Server 10 and Lasso 8.5

Neil Enock
Steve,

I am ashamed to say that I have not had time to run the tests yet.  I am scheduling a day for that right now.  The volume perspective is quite interesting though, and I will take it in consideration - after I try and find the offending queries.

Thanks, (again)!
Neil