FileMaker Containers and Lasso

Stanley Weber
Hi all,

I am looking for the best way (most efficient) to manage storing and disseminating documents to our users using BOTH FileMaker clients and the web.

We run Lasso 8.6.3 and FileMaker Server v14 (soon to be 15) each on separate servers, both running Yosemite on Macs. Currently we do not use FileMaker to manage documents in containers, but think we want to move in that direction. We have a few documents that we place on the Lasso server, and feed to students using a Lasso link such as <a href=“DOCUMENT_A_[Field: ‘AcademicYear']/[Field:'e1'].pdf">Click here to download this document</a>. This works fine, but of course we have to get all of the documents in the correct place on the Lasso server with the correct permissions.

Our staff likes the convenience of dragging and dropping documents into a FileMaker container field. That results in a document stored somewhere on the FileMaker server (stored externally and open, I think). If we do that, what is involved in having Lasso grab that document (on the FileMaker server) for downloading. Students, of course, are individually logged into the Lasso site with proper security.

Frankly, I would like to have FileMaker store the container’s document on the Lasso server, but I suspect that setup has issues. We also have SuperContainer running on the Lasso server. Might that be a good option?

If it makes any difference, I think all of the docs would be PDFs, i.e, various certificates of completion, résumés, etc.

Anyway, any thoughts before I invest too much time in this project?

Thanks,

Stan
Stanley S. Weber, Pharm.D., FASHP, BCPP
Associate Dean and Chief Assessment Officer
University of Washington
South Campus Center, Suite 244
1601 NE Columbia Road, Box 357631
Seattle, Washington 98195

206.616.8762

Re: FileMaker Containers and Lasso

maxwellk2
Hi Stanley,

I've considered various solutions for similar situations. My current solution uses SuperContainer (stand alone deployment) and their ProxyPass tip:

        http://docs.360works.com/index.php/SuperContainer_Tips_Tricks_and_FAQ#Tips_and_Tricks

Here's what I have in my vhost that uses SC:

        # use LOCATION to keep SiteAdmin.LassApp and ServerAdmin.LassoApp from breaking
        <Location /SuperContainer >
                # SuperContainer forwardign rules
                # allowes SC to be accessed via https://sitename/SuperContainer
                ProxyPass "http://<supercontainer_server_ip>:<supercontainer_server_port>/SuperContainer"
                ProxyPassReverse "http://<supercontainer_server_ip>:<supercontainer_server_port>/SuperContainer"
                #this is a simple base64 u/p to access SuperContainer so that it doesn't have to be exposed in the URL
                RequestHeader set Authorization "Basic <base64_of_SC_u/p_goes_here>"
        </Location>

Part of the reason I use SC is that authenticated website visitors need to upload documents than then get pulled into FMS, so it solves both sides the upload and download requirements for users and admins.

If/when I need to approach this again there should be a way to serve the FMS externally stored container documents directly by adding some rules to FMS's Apache conf…

        /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf

...that would allow it to serve specific container document folders from…

        /Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/RC_Data_FMS/<path_to_container_folder>

My Apache conf skills are limited. Best guess would be some use of Directory, Location, and/or Alias, and probably some OS permission tweaking, to allow Apache to step out of it's root directory and access the container folders. Could even continue using the ProxyPass so it looks like documents are coming from the primary Apache server. Would need to be careful when updating FMS, the conf files will likely get overwritten.

Another option would be a FMS script that synced specific documents to the Lasso server. 360Works FTPeek could do this via S/FTP, or you might be able to mount the Lasso server directly and export container fields to it from a FMS script.

Curious what you come up with.

-Max

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Stanley Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for the best way (most efficient) to manage storing and disseminating documents to our users using BOTH FileMaker clients and the web.
>
> We run Lasso 8.6.3 and FileMaker Server v14 (soon to be 15) each on separate servers, both running Yosemite on Macs. Currently we do not use FileMaker to manage documents in containers, but think we want to move in that direction. We have a few documents that we place on the Lasso server, and feed to students using a Lasso link such as <a href=“DOCUMENT_A_[Field: ‘AcademicYear']/[Field:'e1'].pdf">Click here to download this document</a>. This works fine, but of course we have to get all of the documents in the correct place on the Lasso server with the correct permissions.
>
> Our staff likes the convenience of dragging and dropping documents into a FileMaker container field. That results in a document stored somewhere on the FileMaker server (stored externally and open, I think). If we do that, what is involved in having Lasso grab that document (on the FileMaker server) for downloading. Students, of course, are individually logged into the Lasso site with proper security.
>
> Frankly, I would like to have FileMaker store the container’s document on the Lasso server, but I suspect that setup has issues. We also have SuperContainer running on the Lasso server. Might that be a good option?
>
> If it makes any difference, I think all of the docs would be PDFs, i.e, various certificates of completion, résumés, etc.
>
> Anyway, any thoughts before I invest too much time in this project?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stan
> Stanley S. Weber, Pharm.D., FASHP, BCPP
> Associate Dean and Chief Assessment Officer
> University of Washington
> South Campus Center, Suite 244
> 1601 NE Columbia Road, Box 357631
> Seattle, Washington 98195