FTP Weirdness

Marc Pope-3
I wrote a script to pull down articles from a FTP site once per day. All was
working well for many weeks and then all of the sudden, it stopped working.
I tried logging in via Transmit and also the terminal and both work
perfectly, but Lasso returns this error:

Script execution time limit exceeded while executing '/cron/feed.lasso'.
Aborting thread 83233712

I thought that there might be too many files in the FTP directory it was
synching to, so I reduced the files to just a few and am just doing a
FTP_GetListing command, but nothing. It just times out.

Any other ideas?

This is not the first time I have had trouble with FTP and Lasso. It seems
like the implementation has issues. On the other feed I was trying to sync
with I resorted to using a unix ftp sync instead..

Any way to debug this further?

Thanks
Marc Pope

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FTP Weirdness

Simon Forster

On 17 Jan 2006, at 00:50, Marc Pope wrote:

> I wrote a script to pull down articles from a FTP site once per
> day. All was
> working well for many weeks and then all of the sudden, it stopped
> working.
> I tried logging in via Transmit and also the terminal and both work
> perfectly, but Lasso returns this error:
>
> Script execution time limit exceeded while executing '/cron/
> feed.lasso'.
> Aborting thread 83233712
>
> I thought that there might be too many files in the FTP directory
> it was
> synching to, so I reduced the files to just a few and am just doing a
> FTP_GetListing command, but nothing. It just times out.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> This is not the first time I have had trouble with FTP and Lasso.
> It seems
> like the implementation has issues. On the other feed I was trying
> to sync
> with I resorted to using a unix ftp sync instead..
>
> Any way to debug this further?

FTP can be fun - especially with active/passive FTP and firewalls in
between. Your FTP client probably has a transcript facility which
allows you to see the commands being passed between your client
software and the remote FTP site. Have a look at this and see if it
offers any clues.

Looking at the ftp_getfile description, it only supports pasv FTP.
This may be an issue.

HTH

Simon Forster
  LDML Ltd, 62 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HZ, UK
  Tel: +44 (0)845 257 6086   Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247