FMSA 8v2 Lasso 8.1 Related Value Lists

Diane Houdek
I'm having trouble getting a related value list to display.  The two
databases are open on the server, both have xml and xslt rights.  The
value list displays properly on the layout in FM I'm referring to in
Lasso, but still my value list remains empty on the web page. I tried
inserting a loop_count and that displays only the value in the one
record I'm pulling, no other values. When you do a view source the value
list is empty as well. If I change to a straight custom-entered-values
value list, the menu displays properly.

Here's the code:

[inline: -database='incoming', -table='web', -MaxRecords=1, -search]

supervisor:
<select name="supervisor">
[value_list:'supervisor']
<option value='[Value_Listitem]'>Value_Listitem]</option>
[/value_list]
</select>

[/inline]

Do I need to set up the related file in Lasso as well? Is there
something else I'm missing? Is there a way to dynamically generate a
value list based on some criteria and still use FMP? (That would be my
optimal choice!!)

Thanks!
Diane Houdek

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMSA 8v2 Lasso 8.1 Related Value Lists

Ginny White
Hi Diane -- I'm not sure why your list isn't working
like expected, but if the supervisor names in your
example code are coming from a related file or table,
you could just insert another inline in there to
search the other database/table and populate the
pull-down menu.

Something like:

 [inline: -database='incoming', -table='web',
 -MaxRecords=1, -search]
 supervisor:
<select name="supervisor">
<!-- begin nested inline -->
 [Inline:-Search, -Database='Mysupervisor_info_db',
-Table='web', 'some field' = 'some value']
     [Records]
     <option
value="[Field:'SupervisorName']">[Field:'SupervisorName']
     [/Records]
 [/Inline]
 <!-- end nested inline -->
</select>

 [/inline]

--- Diane Houdek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting a related value list to
> display.  The two
> databases are open on the server, both have xml and
> xslt rights.  The
> value list displays properly on the layout in FM I'm
> referring to in
> Lasso, but still my value list remains empty on the
> web page. I tried
> inserting a loop_count and that displays only the
> value in the one
> record I'm pulling, no other values. When you do a
> list is empty as well. If I change to a straight
> custom-entered-values
> value list, the menu displays properly.
>
> Here's the code:
>
> [inline: -database='incoming', -table='web',
> -MaxRecords=1, -search]
>
> supervisor:
> <select name="supervisor">
> [value_list:'supervisor']
> <option
> value='[Value_Listitem]'>Value_Listitem]</option>
> [/value_list]
> </select>
>
> [/inline]
>
> Do I need to set up the related file in Lasso as
> well? Is there
> something else I'm missing? Is there a way to
> dynamically generate a
> value list based on some criteria and still use FMP?
> (That would be my
> optimal choice!!)
>
> Thanks!
> Diane Houdek

> Attend the Lasso Summit
> February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/

*************************

Ginny White
IT Consultant
Yamada Language Center and American English Institute
University of Oregon
541-346-3654

http://mail.yahoo.com

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMSA 8v2 Lasso 8.1 Related Value Lists

Check this line:
<option value='[Value_Listitem]'>Value_Listitem]</option>

Should be:
<option value='[Value_Listitem]'>[Value_Listitem]</option>

Though a missing bracket should have thrown an error...

Also it is better to pull the value_list directly from the database where it resides for greater speed and reliability.  It is also a good idea to check whether the database, fields, and value list are available through LassoAdmin.

--steve

On Friday, February 17, 2006, [hidden email] (Diane Houdek) pronounced:

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMSA 8v2 Lasso 8.1 Related Value Lists

Diane Houdek
That's exactly what I was looking for!!

Thanks.

*************************

Ginny White
IT Consultant
Yamada Language Center and American English Institute
University of Oregon
541-346-3654

http://mail.yahoo.com

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMSA 8v2 Lasso 8.1 Related Value Lists

Diane Houdek
Steve,

The missing bracket was a typo when I re-typed this email.  It wasn't
missing in the code. Everything was available via the LassoAdmin - hmmm,
but I liked the idea of creating the value list from the database I was
wanted anyway, so I think that will solve the problem. Don't like
related value-lists, seems silly!

Diane

>>> [hidden email] 02/18/06 9:58 AM >>>
Check this line: