FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

N Lamb
We currently use FMP to power all of our lasso driven solutions...

We are re-evaluating this choice and trying to determine if this is the
best engine for us moving forward or if we should begin to migrate to
another back-end database source.

Are there any white papers or any other documents available that list
the pros and cons of each back-end source?

Or can some of you who use MYSQL or SQL give me some advantages of
using those sources over FMP?

One thing I would like to know is if it will allow us to more complex
search queries (I know that it will allow -OpBegin and -OpEnd
functionality that FMP will not) and other functions that FMP does not
currently allow us to do...

We are currently hosting our websites on an X-serve with Lasso 7
(although will be upgrading to 8 soon) with FMP backend (duh).  We are
using a mac box with FMP Unlimited to be the go between from the
x-serve and the 3rd mac box that runs FMP Server.  (How does MYSQL
connect to Lasso will we need two servers to accomplish this?  Or will
one server running MYSQL (or SQL) be all we need?)

Final question (for now)...  Is there a limit on the number of
databases that can be served with MYSQL (or SQL) to Lasso (like the
limit with FMP which I believe is a FMP issue (either with unlimited or
server)?

Sorry for the amateur questions here but I really have no background in
MYSQL or SQL and would be "learning" them new to make this a reality if
we choose to move that direction.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Nathan Lamb
EPC ~ Web Developer

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Doug Gentry-2
Nathan -

I don't have a white paper or official stats, but over the years,
ever since Lasso started supporting MySQL, the clear consensus is
that MySQL is far better than FMP.  Sometimes we will have a client
who needs/wants Filemaker in order to use the direct GUI, but those
few situations aside MySQL is much better.  On your development end -
you'll  have to wean yourself from using the Filemaker interface,
which is easier to use. Still, there are plenty of good web-based
graphical interface programs - many of which are freeware - to see
and change your MySQL databases.

No 50 database limit - and most importantly MySQL uses tables where
as pre-FMP7 needed a single database for each table. So, with a FMP6
solution that has 6 related databases, you now have 1 MySQL database.

Better queries through SQL.

Hardware - put the MySQL databases on a separate server, but no need
for the "go between".

And really the clincher for me are the clear signs that Filemaker, as
a corporation, shows no signs of developing a Web optimized product.
All of the recent releases have made serving FMP databases harder and
more expensive.

....Doug Gentry

On Jan 19, 2006, at 6:22 AM, N Lamb wrote:

> We currently use FMP to power all of our lasso driven solutions...
>
> We are re-evaluating this choice and trying to determine if this is
> the best engine for us moving forward or if we should begin to
> migrate to another back-end database source.
>
> Are there any white papers or any other documents available that
> list the pros and cons of each back-end source?
>
> Or can some of you who use MYSQL or SQL give me some advantages of
> using those sources over FMP?
>
> One thing I would like to know is if it will allow us to more
> complex search queries (I know that it will allow -OpBegin and -
> OpEnd functionality that FMP will not) and other functions that FMP
> does not currently allow us to do...
>
> We are currently hosting our websites on an X-serve with Lasso 7
> (although will be upgrading to 8 soon) with FMP backend (duh).  We
> are using a mac box with FMP Unlimited to be the go between from
> the x-serve and the 3rd mac box that runs FMP Server.  (How does
> MYSQL connect to Lasso will we need two servers to accomplish
> this?  Or will one server running MYSQL (or SQL) be all we need?)
>
> Final question (for now)...  Is there a limit on the number of
> databases that can be served with MYSQL (or SQL) to Lasso (like the
> limit with FMP which I believe is a FMP issue (either with
> unlimited or server)?
>
> Sorry for the amateur questions here but I really have no
> background in MYSQL or SQL and would be "learning" them new to make
> this a reality if we choose to move that direction.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input!
>

> Nathan Lamb
> EPC ~ Web Developer

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Marc Pope-3
We used to use Filemaker on our websites. It took 3 separate FM clients with
a Load Balancer in between and a FM server hosting the databases plus we had
3 web servers for a total of 8 machines to handle our web site. Now we only
have 3 machines, two web servers and 1 MySQL server and load sits around 4%
average.

The biggest downfall to using MySQL would be that there is no graphical user
interface like there is in Filemaker. MySQL is command-line driven.

If you have FM applications besides your web site that use the same data,
you would have to convert those applications to web based applications.

MySQL is generally way way faster than FMP. I ran a couple of tests back
about a 2 years ago when FM7 was coming out. I imported a 710 mb file with
two fields of data and indexed it. There was 65 million records. It took
Filemaker 2 1/2 days on a Dual Processor G4 to do the full import. On MySQL?
14 minutes. Yeah, 14 minutes.

Also, with Filemaker, it's really lovely when it does it's backup. It locks
all the tables. That really sucks. In MySQL, you can set-up a replica and
then back-up from there.

With MySQL, you gain even more benefits like "views" and stuff. I highly
recommend you look back in some of the archives to find out more info.

HEY FILEMAKER!!! ARE YOU LISTENING?

MAKE FILEMAKER CONNECT TO ANY DATABASE AND NOT JUST YOUR "OWN". YOU'D MAKE
50 TIMES THE BANK. I DREAM OF MAKING FAST REPORTING TOOLS, CUSTOMER SERVICE
APPLICATIONS, KIOSKS that talk to MySQL.

Ok maybe I got carried away.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Some quick, basic answers for you, I'll let others provide additional detail.

- Your number one advantage on the web side of things will be a
tremendous speed increase. If you really need to manage your data from
a desktop app, then FileMaker can be useful. If this is strictly for
the web, go with MySQL. The database server itself does not have a
GUI, but there are a plethora of tools available to help you work with
it, including NaviCat, AquaDataStudio, CocoaMySQL, phpMyAdmin, and
even the database browser built into Lasso Admin.

- As far as the flexibility of your queries, if you stick with
"classic" inlines, you'll only gain a little more flexibility, but if
you learn to write your own SQL queries and use SQL inlines instead,
you'll have nearly unlimited flexibility at your fingertips.

- While I'm sure there is some limit to the number of tables a single
database can hold, in practical terms it is extremely unlikely that
you will ever reach it. And, if you ever need to host your site at an
ISP, hosting multiple tables in a single MySQL database is going to be
cheaper than hosting FMP.

- Finally, there are some performance gains to be had by using a
separate server for MySQL, but lots of people host both on the same
machine just fine. Having them separate is recommended, but is not a
strict necessity like it generally is for FMP.

HTH,
Jason

On 1/19/06, N Lamb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We currently use FMP to power all of our lasso driven solutions...
>
> We are re-evaluating this choice and trying to determine if this is the
> best engine for us moving forward or if we should begin to migrate to
> another back-end database source.
>
> Are there any white papers or any other documents available that list
> the pros and cons of each back-end source?
>
> Or can some of you who use MYSQL or SQL give me some advantages of
> using those sources over FMP?
>
> One thing I would like to know is if it will allow us to more complex
> search queries (I know that it will allow -OpBegin and -OpEnd
> functionality that FMP will not) and other functions that FMP does not
> currently allow us to do...
>
> We are currently hosting our websites on an X-serve with Lasso 7
> (although will be upgrading to 8 soon) with FMP backend (duh).  We are
> using a mac box with FMP Unlimited to be the go between from the
> x-serve and the 3rd mac box that runs FMP Server.  (How does MYSQL
> connect to Lasso will we need two servers to accomplish this?  Or will
> one server running MYSQL (or SQL) be all we need?)
>
> Final question (for now)...  Is there a limit on the number of
> databases that can be served with MYSQL (or SQL) to Lasso (like the
> limit with FMP which I believe is a FMP issue (either with unlimited or
> server)?
>
> Sorry for the amateur questions here but I really have no background in
> MYSQL or SQL and would be "learning" them new to make this a reality if
> we choose to move that direction.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input!
>

> Nathan Lamb
> EPC ~ Web Developer

> Attend the Lasso Summit
> February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download over 100 open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own for
others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Trevor Jacques
>the clear consensus is that MySQL is far better than FMP.

True, but MySQL is far more expensive than FMP. MySQL is about $595
US per year (it's NOT free, even though you could likely get away
without paying), and FMP is a one-time payment.  :-/

T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

John May-2
>>the clear consensus is that MySQL is far better than FMP.
>
>True, but MySQL is far more expensive than FMP. MySQL is about $595
>US per year (it's NOT free, even though you could likely get away
>without paying), and FMP is a one-time payment.  :-/
>
>T.

You only have to pay for MySQL if you're distributing a solution that
includes their code.  If you're just serving to the internet, no
payment necessary.

        - John

John May : President                  <http://www.pointinspace.com>
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

       Professional Lasso / PHP / MySQL / FileMaker Pro Hosting

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Mark Palmer
It's been a while since I used FileMaker, but when I switched I do remember
being total amazed at how fast MySQL was when I switched. I able able to
issue the most bizarre queries joining many table together with hundreds of
thousands of records and ping - there were the results.

You have fantastic options for searching including regular expressions and
bitwise comparisons if you use the -SQL syntax option in Lasso. You'll have
to learn to write something like Var('sql_stmt' = 'SELECT * FROM tablename
WHERE somefield = "somevalue" AND someotherfield = "someothervalue"') and
then passing that variable into an inline.

It's also ROCK solid, in maybe 3 years of use I cannot honestly remember
MySQL crashing.

I'm not managing any really heavy use sites and so generally run
Apache/Lasso and MySQL on the same dual processor machine - never had any
performance issues.

If I was forced to go back to FileMaker I would quit my job and become a
window cleaner. :)

on 19/1/06 14:22, N Lamb at [hidden email] wrote:

> We currently use FMP to power all of our lasso driven solutions...
>
> We are re-evaluating this choice and trying to determine if this is the
> best engine for us moving forward or if we should begin to migrate to
> another back-end database source.
>
> Are there any white papers or any other documents available that list
> the pros and cons of each back-end source?
>
> Or can some of you who use MYSQL or SQL give me some advantages of
> using those sources over FMP?
>
> One thing I would like to know is if it will allow us to more complex
> search queries (I know that it will allow -OpBegin and -OpEnd
> functionality that FMP will not) and other functions that FMP does not
> currently allow us to do...
>
> We are currently hosting our websites on an X-serve with Lasso 7
> (although will be upgrading to 8 soon) with FMP backend (duh).  We are
> using a mac box with FMP Unlimited to be the go between from the
> x-serve and the 3rd mac box that runs FMP Server.  (How does MYSQL
> connect to Lasso will we need two servers to accomplish this?  Or will
> one server running MYSQL (or SQL) be all we need?)
>
> Final question (for now)...  Is there a limit on the number of
> databases that can be served with MYSQL (or SQL) to Lasso (like the
> limit with FMP which I believe is a FMP issue (either with unlimited or
> server)?
>
> Sorry for the amateur questions here but I really have no background in
> MYSQL or SQL and would be "learning" them new to make this a reality if
> we choose to move that direction.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input!
>

> Nathan Lamb
> EPC ~ Web Developer

> Attend the Lasso Summit
> February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

N Lamb
 From the sound of it the largest transition for me as a developer will
be learning the MYSQL inner workings with Tables and such.  Which
coming from FMP the whole "Tables instead of Database files" is kind of
foreign to me...  I do have some Access experience which I think may
help me some... but that was a while ago.  Other than That I am think
that the best thing to do may be to set up the necessary hardware and
software for the new MYSQL server and begin to develop all new
solutions in MYSQL and then when that is working and I am comfortable
convert the existing solutions from FMP to MYSQL...  some of the
solutions may stay in FMP as they are "low volume" and it would be
beneficial to have the GUI interface as they have internal uses as
well...

If I understand Lasso correctly there should be no reason I cannot run
both FMP solutions and MYSQL solutions at the same time correct?

Thanks for everyones input so far...  from the sound of it, it is
definitely worth the time and effort to make the move!

Nathan

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Trevor Jacques
>John wrote: You only have to pay for MySQL if you're distributing a
>solution that includes their code.  If you're just serving to the
>internet, no payment necessary.

Sorry to report that this is definitely NOT the case. I checked with
MySQL. I have an academic client who wants to do research in his
hospital for no commercial gain. He does not intend to distribute his
application or database. MySQL told me that he needed to be licensed
and then offered him a 10% discount on the licence, even though their
web site said that they would review such non-profit sites on a
case-by-case basis.

At 17:15 -0600 15/07/05, Justin Borg (of MySQL) wrote:
>Your customers that run your application with MySQL will require a
>commercial license for MySQL. Either yourself or your customers will
>have to purchase a commercial license or they will be violating the
>license agreement.

MySQL realised the error of their web site claim and immediately
changed the licensing page.  :-(

I note that the web page above now says something slightly different
to the change made last July:

"Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL themselves
on their own machines." needs a commercial licence.

"If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL
application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a
commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers
currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language
library." so OP needs a licence, and any of us who develop Lasso code
MIGHT need to (and our customers).

"Non-Profits, Academic Institutions, and Private Individuals: ...We
believe that if you have strong reasons to not publish your
application in accordance with the GPL, you should purchase
commercial licenses." So, if you keep your app to yourself, you need
a commercial licence.

"Note that non-profits may apply to MySQL for free commercial
licenses and such applications will be carefully considered." Don't
belive them, since as Justin wrote above, even not-for-profits,
academics, etc. need to pay. I applied for my friend, and MySQL said
he should pay.

That's the legalese. But, as I said, I suspect that most people
simply run it and assume that their unpublished apps that use MySQL
don't need a licence. They also 'get away with it.'

T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Cicognani Antoine
MySQL Products are available under the "dual licensing" model. Under
this model, users may choose to use MySQL products under the free
software/open source GNU General Public License (commonly known as
the "GPL") or under a commercial license. ISVs and Resellers, who are
embedding and reselling MySQL as part of their own commercial
solutions, can purchase a MySQL commercial license.

source: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

Cicognani Antoine
Développement
____________________
Mediancer Sàrl
Joliette 5
CH-1006 LAUSANNE
Tél. 021 / 617 07 07

On 19 janv. 06, at 16:39, Trevor Jacques wrote:

> [...]
> believe that if you have strong reasons to not publish your
> application in accordance with the GPL, you should purchase
> commercial licenses." So, if you keep your app to yourself, you
> need a commercial licence.
>
> "Note that non-profits may apply to MySQL for free commercial
> licenses and such applications will be carefully considered." Don't
> belive them, since as Justin wrote above, even not-for-profits,
> academics, etc. need to pay. I applied for my friend, and MySQL
> said he should pay.
>
> That's the legalese. But, as I said, I suspect that most people
> simply run it and assume that their unpublished apps that use MySQL
> don't need a licence. They also 'get away with it.'
>
> T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Greg Willits-2
On Jan 19, 2006, at 7:39 AM, Trevor Jacques wrote:

>> John wrote: You only have to pay for MySQL if you're distributing
>> a solution that includes their code.  If you're just serving to
>> the internet, no payment necessary.
>
> Sorry to report that this is definitely NOT the case. I checked
> with MySQL....
>
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html
>
> "Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL
> themselves on their own machines." needs a commercial licence.

Be it a change in the license or a clarification in how they
summarize it, this area has always been quite vague IMO, but the
above is pretty clear now.

Thanks Trevor.

-- gw

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

N Lamb

That 50 database limit is in the Web Companion connector correct?
(cause FMP Servers limit is 125)

And if so, the only way around that is to have a second instance of FMP
Unlimited running on another box correct?

Thanks,

Nathan

On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> No 50 database limit - and most importantly MySQL uses tables where as
> pre-FMP7 needed a single database for each table. So, with a FMP6
> solution that has 6 related databases, you now have 1 MySQL database.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Trevor Jacques
>MySQL Products are available under the "dual licensing" model.

True, but read:

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html
and then refer to the quotes from MySQL in my previous post.

>Under this model, users may choose to use MySQL products under the
>free software/open source GNU General Public License (commonly known
>as the "GPL") or under a commercial license.

Again, true. but for most installations, that does not make it free
per the MySQL conditions on the page noted above. Please read the
legal wording carefully, along with the comments I posted from MySQL.
The devil is in the fine print.

T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Doug Gentry-2
Hmm - lots of memory cobwebs here... I thought the limit was on the
FMP client - not WebCompanion.  Wherever the limitation, though, a
MYSQL strategy is much more robust.

...Doug

On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:11 AM, N Lamb wrote:

> That 50 database limit is in the Web Companion connector correct?
> (cause FMP Servers limit is 125)
>
> And if so, the only way around that is to have a second instance of
> FMP Unlimited running on another box correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan
>

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> No 50 database limit - and most importantly MySQL uses tables
>> where as pre-FMP7 needed a single database for each table. So,
>> with a FMP6 solution that has 6 related databases, you now have 1
>> MySQL database.

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Trevor Jacques
>Greg wrote: ...this area had always been quite vague IMO, but the
>above is pretty clear now.
>
>Thanks Trevor.

My pleasure (I think), given that it's clear that many of use should
really be paying for MySQL every year.... :-(

T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Anatoli
50 db is limit on any FM client. Web companion or not.

Anatoli

N Lamb wrote:

> That 50 database limit is in the Web Companion connector correct?
> (cause FMP Servers limit is 125)
>
> And if so, the only way around that is to have a second instance of
> FMP Unlimited running on another box correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan
>

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> No 50 database limit - and most importantly MySQL uses tables where
>> as pre-FMP7 needed a single database for each table. So, with a FMP6
>> solution that has 6 related databases, you now have 1 MySQL database.

> Attend the Lasso Summit February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Brian Loomis
This is one of the reasons why lasso went to SQLLite, so it wasn't
having MySQL bundled with it wasn't it?

On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Trevor Jacques wrote:

>> Greg wrote: ...this area had always been quite vague IMO, but the
>> above is pretty clear now.
>>
>> Thanks Trevor.
>
> My pleasure (I think), given that it's clear that many of use
> should really be paying for MySQL every year.... :-(
>
> T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

m i l e s-4
Trevor,

Talk about being the "Kill Joy of the Party!"  That would be *YOU* my
friend.

Oy.

And to be honest with you...from that language *I* read that as that
it doesn't apply to me.  Therefore its the GPL.

YMMV.

Now can we all go back to work please!

"Time is short, but the years are long.  Not while the evil days come
not!"
(name the author, book and the character that spoke that line - the
very first time,
and I'll buy you 2 drinks of your choice at the summit!)

M.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

Cicognani Antoine
It's up to you to choose the license you want to use.

If you choose the gpl one you have to sell your product under the gpl
license also. If you don't want this solution you choose the
commercial license.

Cicognani Antoine
Développement
____________________
Mediancer Sàrl
Joliette 5
CH-1006 LAUSANNE
Tél. 021 / 617 07 07

On 19 janv. 06, at 18:15, Trevor Jacques wrote:

>> MySQL Products are available under the "dual licensing" model.
>
> True, but read:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-
> license.html and then refer to the quotes from MySQL in my previous
> post.
>
>> Under this model, users may choose to use MySQL products under the
>> free software/open source GNU General Public License (commonly
>> known as the "GPL") or under a commercial license.
>
> Again, true. but for most installations, that does not make it free
> per the MySQL conditions on the page noted above. Please read the
> legal wording carefully, along with the comments I posted from
> MySQL. The devil is in the fine print.
>
> T.

Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/

Re: FMP vs MYSQL vs SQL

N Lamb
What about FMP Server?  I was told that has a 125 limit...  I was also
told that FMP Unlimited can open as many databases as it will handle...

I am just trying to make my case for moving to MYSQL away from FMP and
if more FMP licenses and Servers are needed for our continued growth
that is just more of a reason to go to MYSQL (not withstanding the side
bar thread that began about MYSQL licenses...  :-)  )  I am fairly sure
that our use of MYSQL would not violate the GPL, and that would be the
ticket for us...

Nathan