FMA Performance Questions

Douglas Burchard
I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.

A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?

And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to round-trip performance of queries.

Thanks.

--
Douglas Burchard
Web Application Developer

direct: (206) 227-8161
[hidden email]
http://www.douglasburchard.com/

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Doug Gentry-2
Hi, Doug -

Great to see a pioneer's name on the list....

It was always my sense that the bottleneck in the situation you describe was with Filemaker, and not necessarily the Lasso connector. I forget the correct terminology, but Filemaker was single threaded or couldn't multi-something.

I'm curious if we get insight from someone else.

...Doug

On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Douglas Burchard wrote:

> I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>
> A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?
>
> And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to round-trip performance of queries.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Douglas Burchard
> Web Application Developer
> 15024 NE 66th Street
> Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>
> direct: (206) 227-8161
> [hidden email]
> http://www.douglasburchard.com/

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Hi Doug!

I'm just about to set up a Mac Mini with the latest FMS to connect to Lasso 9...

If there are any specific tests you'd like me to perform to make some comparisons, contact me off list :)

BTW, are you going to FM DevCon next week?

On 2011-07-25, at 2:07 PM, Douglas Burchard wrote:

> I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>
> A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?
>
> And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to round-trip performance of queries.
>
> Thanks.

Jono

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: FMA Performance Questions

The Web Publishing Engine (WPE) in FMS/A is *always* the bottleneck.

If you have one client who is bogging down the system, you can
either split FMS/A onto its own server (which only slightly
mitigates the problem) or place the problem client on their own
instance of FMS/A (expensive, but usually the only real way to
avoid the bottleneck, short of migrating to any other database).

--steve

On 7/25/11 at 11:07 AM, [hidden email]
(Douglas Burchard) pronounced:

>I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some
>current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>
>A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in
>Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running
>a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the
>same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate
>Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each
>other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA
>remain a bottleneck?
>
>And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements,
>with respect to round-trip performance of queries.
>
>Thanks.
>

>--
>Douglas Burchard
>Web Application Developer
>15024 NE 66th Street
>Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>
>direct: (206) 227-8161
>[hidden email]
>http://www.douglasburchard.com/

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
>To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Brian Loomis-4
All the FileMaker connectors, for php, Lasso and the Ruby and python
ones sit on top of the XML web publishing.  Reads can be fairly
straightforward but I would HIGHLY recommend making sure that any
relational data is has a logic layer written in Lasso to make sure
that relational data is written to FMP with some integrity.  The XML
queries can take any length and there is no guarantee that they are
ever executed atomically.

There are some other connectors that use JDBC but the JDBC queries
never return an ID of the record modified and this is problematic.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Douglas Burchard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>
> A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?
>
> And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to round-trip performance of queries.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Douglas Burchard
> Web Application Developer
> 15024 NE 66th Street
> Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>
> direct: (206) 227-8161
> [hidden email]
> http://www.douglasburchard.com/

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: FMA Performance Questions

maxwellk2
I have not had the time/opportunity to deploy a production site using Lasso 9 so I can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues listed here:

        http://www.lassosoft.com/Lasso-9-Issues-List/?q=filemaker

Most of the time I find sluggish responses from FileMaker are because I'm accessing non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scrips.

Hope that helps,
Max

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:

> I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>
> A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site. Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites prevent the queries from interfering with each other across domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?
>
> And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to round-trip performance of queries.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Douglas Burchard
> Web Application Developer
> 15024 NE 66th Street
> Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>
> direct: (206) 227-8161
> [hidden email]
> http://www.douglasburchard.com/

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Douglas Burchard
All,

Some great responses! I very much appreciate the information from everyone. Thank you.

On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> I have not had the time/opportunity to deploy a production site using Lasso 9 so I can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues listed here:
>
> http://www.lassosoft.com/Lasso-9-Issues-List/?q=filemaker
>
> Most of the time I find sluggish responses from FileMaker are because I'm accessing non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scripts.

While I might have seemed gone for several years, I really have been silently monitoring. It's kind of nice to post again.

Once again, thanks.

--
Douglas Burchard
Web Application Developer
15024 NE 66th Street
Redmond, WA  98052, USA

direct: (206) 227-8161
[hidden email]
http://www.douglasburchard.com/

Re: FMA Performance Questions

The 8.5 Language Guide contains a long list of performance tips
for FMSA.  The only one missing from the LG is to migrate away
from FMS/A.

Oh, hush, you know it is true.  :P

FM's strength is its usability as a desktop application.  If you
want a user friendly GUI to a data source for generating custom
layouts, reports, envelopes and address labels, and which just
so happens to allow being served over the web, then FM is a very
practical solution.

--steve

On 7/25/11 at 7:31 PM, [hidden email] (Maxwell Klein) pronounced:

>I have not had the time/opportunity to deploy a production site
>using Lasso 9 so I can yet speak to the issues there.
>Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious
>versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML
>API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9
>and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues
>listed here:
>
>http://www.lassosoft.com/Lasso-9-Issues-List/?q=filemaker
>
>Most of the time I find sluggish responses from FileMaker are
>because I'm accessing non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check
>that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an
>unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable
>field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script
>triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with
>additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and
>avoid calling FileMaker scrips.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Max
>
>On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:
>
>>I don't use FileMaker too much anymore, so I'm hoping for some current
>information/opinions on using it with Lasso.
>>
>>A client has multiple domains running on the same Lasso-site in Lasso 8.5.6. We
>know that when one of those domains is running a long query, it
>can bog down queries in other domains on the same Lasso-site.
>Will splitting those domains off to separate Lasso-sites
>prevent the queries from interfering with each other across
>domains? Or would the Lasso connector to FMA remain a bottleneck?
>>
>>And more generally, does Lasso9 have FMA specific improvements, with respect to
>round-trip performance of queries.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>>--
>>Douglas Burchard
>>Web Application Developer
>>15024 NE 66th Street
>>Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>>
>>direct: (206) 227-8161
>>[hidden email]
>>http://www.douglasburchard.com/
>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Steffan A. Cline

 =============
 "FM is faster, I am sorry. I do not know, where people get the idea
 about slow FM and fast MySQL."
 Anatoli Kohout, 06/27/2003

 "Nothing in FM takes more than 1 second."
 Anatoli Kohout, June 2003
 =============

Viaduct Productions
10,.000 times as fast as the rest

_____________
Rich in Toronto

On 2011-07-26, at 1:38 AM, Steffan A. Cline wrote:

> =============
> "FM is faster, I am sorry. I do not know, where people get the idea
> about slow FM and fast MySQL."
> Anatoli Kohout, 06/27/2003
>
> "Nothing in FM takes more than 1 second."
> Anatoli Kohout, June 2003

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Rachel Guthrie
Hi All,

Just wanted to make sure this thread included the great work on Lasso 9's ODBC performance with FM - the results came out just after this discussion thread and is based on the testing that Jono was doing.
Using ODBC for accessing FM data was several times faster than either the FM included PHP version, or even Lasso's XML (which still beat the php version)

In case you missed it - here's the link again http://www.lassosoft.com/Accessing-FileMaker-PHP-vs-Lasso-9

Cheers
Rachel Guthrie
LassoSoft

On 2011-07-26, at 1:08 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:

> All,
>
> Some great responses! I very much appreciate the information from everyone. Thank you.
>
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>
>> I have not had the time/opportunity to deploy a production site using Lasso 9 so I can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues listed here:
>>
>> http://www.lassosoft.com/Lasso-9-Issues-List/?q=filemaker
>>
>> Most of the time I find sluggish responses from FileMaker are because I'm accessing non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scripts.
>
> While I might have seemed gone for several years, I really have been silently monitoring. It's kind of nice to post again.
>
> Once again, thanks.
>

> --
> Douglas Burchard
> Web Application Developer
> 15024 NE 66th Street
> Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>
> direct: (206) 227-8161
> [hidden email]
> http://www.douglasburchard.com/

Re: FMA Performance Questions

stevepiercy
Silly question.  Has there been any performance testing in 8.x
between the Lasso Connector for ODBC and the Lasso Connector for
FileMaker SA?

--steve

On 8/11/11 at 9:46 AM, [hidden email] (Rachel Guthrie) pronounced:

>Hi All,
>
>Just wanted to make sure this thread included the great work on
>Lasso 9's ODBC performance with FM - the results came out just
>after this discussion thread and is based on the testing that
>Jono was doing.
>Using ODBC for accessing FM data was several times faster than
>either the FM included PHP version, or even Lasso's XML (which
>still beat the php version)
>
>In case you missed it - here's the link again http://www.lassosoft.com/Accessing-FileMaker-PHP-vs-Lasso-9
>
>Cheers
>Rachel Guthrie
>LassoSoft
>
>On 2011-07-26, at 1:08 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>Some great responses! I very much appreciate the information from everyone. Thank
>you.
>>
>>On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:
>>
>>> I have not had the time/opportunity to deploy a production site using Lasso 9 so I
>can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements
>should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck
>using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real
>alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker
>show it working as expected with known issues listed here:
>>>      http://www.lassosoft.com/Lasso-9-Issues-List/?q=filemaker
>>>   Most of the time I find sluggish responses from FileMaker
>>>are because I'm accessing
>non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by
>Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find
>a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution
>(auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso
>to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to
>access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scripts.
>>
>>While I might have seemed gone for several years, I really have been silently
>monitoring. It's kind of nice to post again.
>>
>>Once again, thanks.
>>

>>--
>>Douglas Burchard
>>Web Application Developer
>>15024 NE 66th Street
>>Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>>
>>direct: (206) 227-8161
>>[hidden email]
>>http://www.douglasburchard.com/

>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Not a silly question at all.
Now that we're back, I can spend the time reconfiguring that server to do exactly that...

On 2011-08-11, at 4:38 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Silly question.  Has there been any performance testing in 8.x between the Lasso Connector for ODBC and the Lasso Connector for FileMaker SA?
>
> --steve
>

> On 8/11/11 at 9:46 AM, [hidden email] (Rachel Guthrie) pronounced:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just wanted to make sure this thread included the great work on Lasso 9's ODBC performance with FM - the results came out just after this discussion thread and is based on the testing that Jono was doing.
>> Using ODBC for accessing FM data was several times faster than either the FM included PHP version, or even Lasso's XML (which still beat the php version)
>>
>> In case you missed it - here's the link again http://www.lassosoft.com/Accessing-FileMaker-PHP-vs-Lasso-9
>>
>> Cheers
>> Rachel Guthrie
>> LassoSoft
>>
>> On 2011-07-26, at 1:08 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Some great responses! I very much appreciate the information from everyone. Thank
>> you.

>> can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues listed here:
>> non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scripts.
>>>
>>> While I might have seemed gone for several years, I really have been silently
>> monitoring. It's kind of nice to post again.
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Douglas Burchard
>>> Web Application Developer
>>> 15024 NE 66th Street
>>> Redmond, WA  98052, USA
>>>
>>> direct: (206) 227-8161
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://www.douglasburchard.com/

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Jono

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Johan Solve
Any progress on this?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not a silly question at all.
> Now that we're back, I can spend the time reconfiguring that server to do exactly that...
>
> On 2011-08-11, at 4:38 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Silly question.  Has there been any performance testing in 8.x between the Lasso Connector for ODBC and the Lasso Connector for FileMaker SA?
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On 8/11/11 at 9:46 AM, [hidden email] (Rachel Guthrie) pronounced:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to make sure this thread included the great work on Lasso 9's ODBC performance with FM - the results came out just after this discussion thread and is based on the testing that Jono was doing.
>>> Using ODBC for accessing FM data was several times faster than either the FM included PHP version, or even Lasso's XML (which still beat the php version)
>>>
>>> In case you missed it - here's the link again http://www.lassosoft.com/Accessing-FileMaker-PHP-vs-Lasso-9
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Rachel Guthrie
>>> LassoSoft

>>> you.

>>> can yet speak to the issues there. Performance improvements should show a boost over pervious versions but it's still stuck using FileMaker's lackluster XML API, with no real alternatives. The few tests I've done with L9 and FileMaker show it working as expected with known issues listed here:
>>> non-indexed fields. In FileMaker check that fields access by Lasso are indexed. If the field is an unstored calculation find a way to change it to an indexable field within your solution (auto-enter calculations, script triggers, etc.), or use Lasso to do the calculations with additional Inline statements to access the related fields, and avoid calling FileMaker scripts.

>>> monitoring. It's kind of nice to post again.

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>>
>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>
> Jono

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: FMA Performance Questions

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Hi Johan, not yet sorry.

On 2011-09-05, at 7:33 AM, Johan Solve wrote:

> Any progress on this?
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Jonathan Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not a silly question at all.
>> Now that we're back, I can spend the time reconfiguring that server to do exactly that...
>>
>> On 2011-08-11, at 4:38 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>>
>>> Silly question.  Has there been any performance testing in 8.x between the Lasso Connector for ODBC and the Lasso Connector for FileMaker SA?
>>>
>>> --steve

Jono