Email problems in 8.6

Jim Sheffer-3
Hi all-

We made some network changes a few weeks ago and had to change our IP addresses.
since then, we have been experiencing email problems in that Lasso (8.6) is not sending out emails through some hosts.

It is sending through our local email server but not through any "outside" email hosts (authorize.net and gmail specifically) using the  -host command.

I'm trying to track down the problem but the only error messages I can see in Lasso is the following:
SMTP: [36] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".

Does Lasso act as a mail server and thus needs ptr records pointing to the server (Our ISP is in the process of setting these up now)?

James

James Sheffer          [hidden email]
Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268

Re: Email problems in 8.6

Lee Glickenhaus-2
Jim:

This is a longstanding problem with 8.6 (been making my life hell for a long time now).  There are a bunch of threads, with various suggestions, in the list archives.  None of them have worked for me, but YMMV.

I set up a monitor (I use Montis) that loads a page that reports the size of the email queue.  If its > than a specified number (for me, 15), it redirects to a page that restarts Lasso.  A Lasso restart gets the quest running again, until the next time it decides to stop.

Lassosoft says that it can’t find (thus fix) the problem.  I gather that it is not present in Lasso 9, but I haven’t had the time/energy to upgrade.

Lee

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 9:57 AM, Jim Sheffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all-
>
> We made some network changes a few weeks ago and had to change our IP addresses.
> since then, we have been experiencing email problems in that Lasso (8.6) is not sending out emails through some hosts.
>
> It is sending through our local email server but not through any "outside" email hosts (authorize.net and gmail specifically) using the  -host command.
>
> I'm trying to track down the problem but the only error messages I can see in Lasso is the following:
> SMTP: [36] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".
>

> Does Lasso act as a mail server and thus needs ptr records pointing to the server (Our ISP is in the process of setting these up now)?
>

> James
>
> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
> phone:  469-256-0268

Re: Email problems in 8.6

Trevor Borgmeier
I believe the underlying issue you are experiencing is DNS Deafness.

This seemed to fix it for us...
http://www.lassotalk.com/DNS-Deafness.lasso?274598

Since we implemented the "nohup" change it has worked flawlessly for us.

Note that this was originally posted in regard to Lasso 8.5.x, but I
presume this area is unchanged for Lasso 8.6.x, though perhaps the line
number is different...Here is meat of the thread:

Open this file: "/Applications/Lasso\  Professional\
8/LassoAdmin/Lasso8Service.sh"
Changing this line (34):
     sudo -u lasso ./Lasso8Service > /private/tmp/LassoService8.out 2>&1
to:
     nohup sudo -u lasso ./Lasso8Service >
/private/tmp/LassoService8.out 2>&1

An alternative line is suggested by Eric Knibbe here:
http://www.lassotalk.com/Re-DNS-Deafness.lasso?274814
it may be better (or equivelant) to change this same line to:
     /usr/libexec/StartupItemContext sudo -u lasso ./Lasso8Service >
/private/tmp/LassoService8.out 2>&1

I haven't tried his line in production as I just left the "nohup" line
in place for this last year and haven't had issues at all since.
Perhaps if Eric has had his in production he can chime in on his experience.

-Trevor

On 1/7/15 8:57 AM, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> We made some network changes a few weeks ago and had to change our IP addresses.
> since then, we have been experiencing email problems in that Lasso (8.6) is not sending out emails through some hosts.
>
> It is sending through our local email server but not through any "outside" email hosts (authorize.net and gmail specifically) using the  -host command.
>
> I'm trying to track down the problem but the only error messages I can see in Lasso is the following:
> SMTP: [36] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".
>

> Does Lasso act as a mail server and thus needs ptr records pointing to the server (Our ISP is in the process of setting these up now)?
>

> James
>
> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
> phone:  469-256-0268

ɹǝıǝɯƃɹoq ɹoʌǝɹʇ

Re: Email problems in 8.6

Jim Sheffer-3
Thanks Trevor & Lee-

I hadn't thought about the DNS "deafness" problem in eons - I remember reading about it years ago but never ran into it that I remember.  Since everything has been running until the IP switch It didn't cross my mind.  I'll try the suggestions and report back on how they work :-)

Forgive my ignorance but I'm still wondering how exactly Lasso acts when it sends mail.  Does it act like a "mail client" when sending mail or more like a mail server.
As a server, I would imagine that the reverse or ptr records would need to be set correctly.  I know these were not set after the IP change until just recently (No excuses - I forgot to get our ISP to set the ptr records for these servers - There are 2 of them suddenly acting up in the same manner - one on 8.6x and the other on 8.5x).

I have mail sending form 3 -hosts:  One our local mail server and the other gmail and the last authorize.net.

I've checked and as far as I can tell our DNS all looks correct, so my concern is that since mail is getting sent through to our local server just fine (set to allow all mail from that particular Lasso server), it may be getting refused from the others.  On our Lasso servers I am using the -host command (as opposed to using a default SMTP setting) just like the other two.

Could the message: "Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com" from the gmail connection" be generic and mail is getting rejected rather than not being able to connect?

James

James Sheffer          [hidden email]
Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Lee Glickenhaus (lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jim:
>
> This is a longstanding problem with 8.6 (been making my life hell for a long time now).  There are a bunch of threads, with various suggestions, in the list archives.  None of them have worked for me, but YMMV.
>
> I set up a monitor (I use Montis) that loads a page that reports the size of the email queue.  If its > than a specified number (for me, 15), it redirects to a page that restarts Lasso.  A Lasso restart gets the quest running again, until the next time it decides to stop.
>
> Lassosoft says that it can’t find (thus fix) the problem.  I gather that it is not present in Lasso 9, but I haven’t had the time/energy to upgrade.
>
> Lee
>

>> On Jan 7, 2015, at 9:57 AM, Jim Sheffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> We made some network changes a few weeks ago and had to change our IP addresses.
>> since then, we have been experiencing email problems in that Lasso (8.6) is not sending out emails through some hosts.
>>
>> It is sending through our local email server but not through any "outside" email hosts (authorize.net and gmail specifically) using the  -host command.
>>
>> I'm trying to track down the problem but the only error messages I can see in Lasso is the following:
>> SMTP: [36] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".
>>

>> Does Lasso act as a mail server and thus needs ptr records pointing to the server (Our ISP is in the process of setting these up now)?
>>

>> James
>>
>> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
>> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
>> phone:  469-256-0268

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Email problems in 8.6

Lee Glickenhaus-2
I have the problem even when using -host and sending through and SMTP server on the same machine as Lasso (as well as when I use remote SMTP servers)

It comes and goes.  Sometimes its fine for a week, sometimes it goes deaf 6 times a day.  I can’t find a pattern (I also triple checked DNS settings, and its not that)

> [...]
>>> since then, we have been experiencing email problems in that Lasso (8.6) is not sending out emails through some hosts.
>>>
>>> It is sending through our local email server but not through any "outside" email hosts (authorize.net and gmail specifically) using the  -host command.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to track down the problem but the only error messages I can see in Lasso is the following:
>>> SMTP: [36] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".
>>>

>>> Does Lasso act as a mail server and thus needs ptr records pointing to the server (Our ISP is in the process of setting these up now)?
>>>

>>> James
>>>
>>> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
>>> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
>>> phone:  469-256-0268

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Okay, perhaps I found something...

I tried adding "nohup" to the line in the Lasso8Service.sh file and restarting, then sending new email through the server but still have the same problem - It get's stuck going to smtp.gmail.com but not to mail.higherpowered.com

After re-reading the thread "DNS Deafness" and paying attention to the part about how Lasso service is started and users logging in/out possibly having something to do with the problem, I decided to do a restart of the server itself instead of just restarting the Lasso service via the start/stop scripts supplied in the "Tools" folder within the Lasso App folder.
Strangely enough, now Lasso will not start up upon the server restarting (It always had in the past).  apache starts up but the lasso service does not - I had to run the startLasso script to get Lasso running...

I don't know what to look for in terms of errors to find out why it will not start up - If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

If I figure this out and can get Lasso starting on server restart, it may shed some light on Lasso (and probably PHP or any other language) running into the DNS Deafness issue!

I have Lasso running on a Mac (10.6.7-client, not server).
In the system console, I see this when trying to restart:
2:16:00 PM - com.apple.SystemStarter[58] - Starting Lasso Service:
2:22:00 PM - com.apple.SystemStarter[58] - /Library/StartupItems/LassoPro8/LassoPro8: line 9: /usr/libexec/ConsoleMessage: No such file or directory

For what it's worth, I checked and there is no file/directory called ConsoleMessage...

I'm not sure what to look for in the terminal after starting Lasso in console mode but I can search for something if it will help...

Any help would be appreciated :-)

I'm checking the other server to see if it starts from a server restart but I'm pretty sure it does - if so, I'll change the Lasso8Service.sh file to see if it helps...

> [...]

>>> Jim:
>>>
>>> This is a longstanding problem with 8.6 (been making my life hell for a long time now).  There are a bunch of threads, with various suggestions, in the list archives.  None of them have worked for me, but YMMV.
>>>
>>> I set up a monitor (I use Montis) that loads a page that reports the size of the email queue.  If its > than a specified number (for me, 15), it redirects to a page that restarts Lasso.  A Lasso restart gets the quest running again, until the next time it decides to stop.
>>>
>>> Lassosoft says that it can’t find (thus fix) the problem.  I gather that it is not present in Lasso 9, but I haven’t had the time/energy to upgrade.
>>>
>>> Lee

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

OK, here's where we stand:

The site will not load on startup; the only way I can get Lasso started is by running the startup script in the tools folder.

Still cannot send email from the server.  I was able to check with the outbound server company and the email are NOT getting received, so it is definitely a problem with the lasso server not being able to send the email at all(and not a matter of the emails getting rejected or something similar).

 I've looked through the entire startup sequence in the console (started Lasso in console mode) and I don't see anything glaring out at me as far as errors.

In Apple's console yesterday, this is the only thing I saw relating to starting up Lasso:
2:16:00 PM - com.apple.SystemStarter[58] - Starting Lasso Service:
2:22:00 PM - com.apple.SystemStarter[58] - /Library/StartupItems/LassoPro8/LassoPro8: line 9: /usr/libexec/ConsoleMessage: No such file or directory

I tried adding "nohup" to the line in the Lasso8Service.sh file and restarting, then sending new email through the server but still have the same problem - It get's stuck going to smtp.gmail.com but not to mail.higherpowered.com(on the same network).

Restarting both Lasso and the entire server does not resolve the problem.  Neither emails already in hte queue nor new emails sent after the restart are sending.

Everything WAS working before the IP change.
The server DOES have a valid DNS server listed in the settings.

I'm at the end of my rope with this - I don't know where else to look :-)

Any ideas would be helpful - both on the server not restarting on system restarts and the email not sending issue (I'm hoping they are one in the same - If so, perhaps they will shed some light on the DNS Deafness issue and starting Lasso with different users/etc...).

> [...]

>>> I've checked and as far as I can tell our DNS all looks correct, so my concern is that since mail is getting sent through to our local server just fine (set to allow all mail from that particular Lasso server), it may be getting refused from the others.  On our Lasso servers I am using the -host command (as opposed to using a default SMTP setting) just like the other two.
>>>
>>> Could the message: "Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com" from the gmail connection" be generic and mail is getting rejected rather than not being able to connect?
>>>

>>> James
>>>
>>> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
>>> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
>>> phone:  469-256-0268

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

I'm not sure.  The DNS theory was that your server wasn't resolving the
smtp.gmail.com domain properly due to DNS deafness.

Just to be sure that isn't the issue, you can test using include_url and
try pulling in an external website.

Have you tested against an alternate external smtp server (not one on
the same network)?  The fact that it works on the same network seems odd
to me if it was a direct lasso problem.

I would also guess that the lasso startup issues and the email sending
issues are two unrelated issues, but if both issues  started at the same
time it would seem so suggest a common element, but I'm not sure what
that would be, etc.

I doubt this is very helpful, but I'm just thinking out loud all
clickity-clackity, type writer style.

-Trevor

On 1/9/15 12:33 PM, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated :-)
>>
>> I'm checking the other server to see if it starts from a server restart but I'm pretty sure it does - if so, I'll change the Lasso8Service.sh file to see if it helps...
>>

>> James
>>
>> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
>> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
>> phone:  469-256-0268
>>

>>> On Jan 8, 2015, at 1:44 PM, Lee Glickenhaus (lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the problem even when using -host and sending through and SMTP server on the same machine as Lasso (as well as when I use remote SMTP servers)
>>>
>>> It comes and goes.  Sometimes its fine for a week, sometimes it goes deaf 6 times a day.  I can’t find a pattern (I also triple checked DNS settings, and its not that)

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Trevor-

I did an include on a website that resides on another server and it loaded...

Actually, not I'm seeing the local email server not getting sent also...

So Lasso is only connecting to the local email server intermittently and it looks like never to the gmail server (but now that I see it connecting to the local email server intermittently, it could be doing the same to the gmail server and I'm just not seeing it (but I don't think so))...

As for thinking out load, I've been doing that for days now - I'll take anything at this point:-)

> [...]

>>> 2:22:00 PM - com.apple.SystemStarter[58] - /Library/StartupItems/LassoPro8/LassoPro8: line 9: /usr/libexec/ConsoleMessage: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, I checked and there is no file/directory called ConsoleMessage...
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what to look for in the terminal after starting Lasso in console mode but I can search for something if it will help...
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated :-)
>>>
>>> I'm checking the other server to see if it starts from a server restart but I'm pretty sure it does - if so, I'll change the Lasso8Service.sh file to see if it helps...
>>>

>>> James
>>>
>>> James Sheffer          [hidden email]
>>> Lasso Developer        http://www.higherpowered.com
>>> phone:  469-256-0268

>>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: Email problems in 8.6

Trevor Borgmeier
Jim,

As far as your issue with lasso not loading at startup, I'm not sure
what the issue is, but you could try using launchd to start it instead
of the StartupItems folder.

Past the following into a text editor and save it to
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lassosoft.lasso8.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
     <key>Label</key>
     <string>com.lassosoft.lasso8</string>
     <key>ProgramArguments</key>
     <array>
         <string>/Applications/Lasso Professional
8/LassoAdmin/Lasso8Service.sh</string>
     </array>
     <key>RunAtLoad</key>
     <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Then run:
sudo launchctl load -w
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lassosoft.lasso8.plist

to start lasso.

This appears to work, but I've not tested it in production to know if
there are any problems in this method...
Also, if you do this, you may want to move the LassoPro8 folder from the
/Library/StartupItems/ folder, too.

-Trevor