E-mail SMTP connexion problem

Trevor Jacques
One of my customers changed his routers (and who knows what else)
and, ever since, any mail sent by lasso gives me:

SMTP: Failed to connect to host "64.26.135.243". The attempt to
connect timed out before a connection was made.

I've replaced the IP with relevant domain names (which was how things
were before the problems) but no change. I CAN ping the SMTP box, so
routing seems to no longer be an issue.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might provoke this in Lasso (or just
where to start looking)? Thanks.

T.

Re: E-mail SMTP connexion problem

Jono-2
 From that box, can you telnet to port 25? it's possible port 25 is
being blocked. We have a couple of ISP's here that have had huge
problems with their ADSL lines being used as zombie spam sources so
they block outgoing 25 unless it's to their own servers - so we have
had to use an alternate port access to our servers. The port
generally accepted as an alternate is 587. Your client would have to
tell his mail server to listen on 587 as well as 25, and you would
need to tell lasso to send on 587 not 25.

On 29/09/2006, at 1:34 AM, Trevor Jacques wrote:

> One of my customers changed his routers (and who knows what else)
> and, ever since, any mail sent by lasso gives me:
>
> SMTP: Failed to connect to host "64.26.135.243". The attempt to
> connect timed out before a connection was made.
>
> I've replaced the IP with relevant domain names (which was how
> things were before the problems) but no change. I CAN ping the SMTP
> box, so routing seems to no longer be an issue.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to what might provoke this in Lasso (or
> just where to start looking)? Thanks.

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: E-mail SMTP connexion problem

Trevor Jacques
>From that box, can you telnet to port 25?

Nope.

>it's possible port 25 is being blocked.

Hmm. The weird thing is that it all started at a time that the mail
server was not supposed to have changed. The start of all this was
when a DMZ was installed and one of the techie staff did not put in
routing for local to external IPs. In theory, no change was supposed
to have been made to the SMTP server. I'll investigate these port and
passage of packets-to-that-port issues further.

>The port generally accepted as an alternate is 587.

There's also 2500, but I rather doubt that this is the case. I'll
formally check it out, though.

>Your client would have to tell his mail server to listen on 587 as
>well as 25, and you would need to tell lasso to send on 587 not 25.

Understood. I run ASSP for my own e-mail server, so that part of the
issue is one I understand well. :-)

Thanks for the ideas.

T.