Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Neil Enock
I have been having massive issues with the Filemaker 10 server admin
console, and filemaker suggested I downgrade to 10.5.4 which I finally
did last night.  I did an Archive and Install.  Installed OSX 10.5.
and then used the combined update to get to the recommended 10.5.4.

Filemaker works well and the admin console even seems stable. (time
will tell).

However, Lasso lists all formerly available databases as 'Not
Available' and will not let me alter that setting.

I couldn't find anything specific in the list search.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Neil
--
     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

stevepiercy
On Wednesday, June 10, 2009, [hidden email] (Neil Enock) pronounced:

>I have been having massive issues with the Filemaker 10 server admin
>console, and filemaker suggested I downgrade to 10.5.4 which I finally
>did last night.  I did an Archive and Install.  Installed OSX 10.5.
>and then used the combined update to get to the recommended 10.5.4.
>
>Filemaker works well and the admin console even seems stable. (time
>will tell).

Keep us posted.  I'm interested in hearing whether that works long-term.

>However, Lasso lists all formerly available databases as 'Not
>Available' and will not let me alter that setting.
>
>I couldn't find anything specific in the list search.  Any suggestions?

Yup.  Walk through the FM Quick Start Guide.  Works for 10, too (I wish LassoSoft would explicitly state as much):
http://lassosoft.com/Solutions/FileMaker/FMS9_Quick_Start.pdf

There is also the possibility that you have another host in the Lasso SiteAdmin which contains these same dbs and is interfering with your ability to change the settings on these dbs.  I ran into this last night, and I simply disabled those hosts, leaving just one, then refreshed the db list on the desired host.  Completely unintuitive, and another reason I prefer MySQL.  I *never* have this problem with any other datasource.  grrrrr....

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Waters, Thomas C
Neil,
After the earlier posts regarding this issue, I began to pay more attention
to our server. We now have a server admin guy, and so I leave all of that to
him, but also our FileMaker use is increasing, so I have had need to spend
some more time on the FMS SA box.

Our original FMS SA server was exhibiting the same issue that you describe.
It was running 10.5.6. With 10.6 getting closer, and since I could work
around the issue, I chose not to get too worried about it, but keep it in
mind. Then, I had a need to set up a test FileMaker Server to try using the
2 box alternative config. I started with a fresh install of 10.5.7server ,
did a clean install of FMS SA, and imported a few databases for testing.
T%his server never exhibits the issues with the FMP Server Admin module!   I
was just really surprised.

On 6/10/09 3:46 AM, "Neil Enock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been having massive issues with the Filemaker 10 server admin
> console, and filemaker suggested I downgrade to 10.5.4 which I finally
> did last night.  I did an Archive and Install.  Installed OSX 10.5.
> and then used the combined update to get to the recommended 10.5.4.
>
> Filemaker works well and the admin console even seems stable. (time
> will tell).
>
> However, Lasso lists all formerly available databases as 'Not
> Available' and will not let me alter that setting.
>
> I couldn't find anything specific in the list search.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
> --
>      Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>                         ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>               Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>              Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>
> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
> [hidden email]
> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Neil Enock
Hi Steve,

Everything was running fine on FMSA 10 before I downgraded and the
databases haven't changed at all.  I walked through the Quickstart and
don't see anything that should be affected by an OS change - the
databases were already running under FMSA 10.

Did you have something specific in mind that I should check?

Thanks,
Neil

On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 10, 2009, [hidden email] (Neil Enock)
> pronounced:
>
>> I have been having massive issues with the Filemaker 10 server admin
>> console, and filemaker suggested I downgrade to 10.5.4 which I
>> finally
>> did last night.  I did an Archive and Install.  Installed OSX 10.5.
>> and then used the combined update to get to the recommended 10.5.4.
>>
>> Filemaker works well and the admin console even seems stable. (time
>> will tell).
>
> Keep us posted.  I'm interested in hearing whether that works long-
> term.
>
>> However, Lasso lists all formerly available databases as 'Not
>> Available' and will not let me alter that setting.
>>
>> I couldn't find anything specific in the list search.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Yup.  Walk through the FM Quick Start Guide.  Works for 10, too (I
> wish LassoSoft would explicitly state as much):
> http://lassosoft.com/Solutions/FileMaker/FMS9_Quick_Start.pdf
>
> There is also the possibility that you have another host in the
> Lasso SiteAdmin which contains these same dbs and is interfering
> with your ability to change the settings on these dbs.  I ran into
> this last night, and I simply disabled those hosts, leaving just
> one, then refreshed the db list on the desired host.  Completely
> unintuitive, and another reason I prefer MySQL.  I *never* have this
> problem with any other datasource.  grrrrr....
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Saving an Array to a data field

Michael Benedict
Hello to all,
Coming to the point.
It is possible to "store" a complex array (an array of pairs) to a data
field and then retrieve that string and create that same array by simply
saving it to a variable? I see the array structure and it looks great, but
Lasso does not see it as an array.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here.
Thanks,
Michael

Re: Saving an Array to a data field

jasonhuck
That's because when you output an entire array (and storing to a
database counts as output), it is converted into a string
representation of the array.

The typical solution for this is to serialize the array when storing
it, and unserialize it when you retrieve it. Serialization converts
the data into XML which preserves the structure of the array, the data
types of its individual members, etc.

Lasso has built-in tags to accomplish this.

Procedural versions:
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Serialize]
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Deserialize]

OOP versions:
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Null-%3ESerialize]
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Null-%3EDeserialize]

Bil Corry also has tags to "pack" and "unpack" complex data structures
which can be used for the same purpose:

http://tagswap.net/lp_var_pack
http://tagswap.net/lp_var_unpack

- jason

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Michael
Benedict<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello to all,
> Coming to the point.
> It is possible to "store" a complex array (an array of pairs) to a data
> field and then retrieve that string and create that same array by simply
> saving it to a variable? I see the array structure and it looks great, but
> Lasso does not see it as an array.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here.
> Thanks,
> Michael

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Saving an Array to a data field

Rick Draper
Hi Michael,

You could use Bil's tags to do this... "Packs variables into compact,
ASCII-safe bundles.  Optionally can encrypt data"

http://www.tagswap.net/lp_var_pack
http://www.tagswap.net/lp_var_unpack/

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Neil Enock
Yikes!  I have to reinstall - and now I don't know whether to down
grade to 10.5.4 or upgrade to 10.5.7.

Thomas, are you XML serving to Lasso through 10.5.7?

Thanks,
Neil

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:

> Neil,
> After the earlier posts regarding this issue, I began to pay more
> attention
> to our server. We now have a server admin guy, and so I leave all of
> that to
> him, but also our FileMaker use is increasing, so I have had need to
> spend
> some more time on the FMS SA box.
>
> Our original FMS SA server was exhibiting the same issue that you
> describe.
> It was running 10.5.6. With 10.6 getting closer, and since I could
> work
> around the issue, I chose not to get too worried about it, but keep
> it in
> mind. Then, I had a need to set up a test FileMaker Server to try
> using the
> 2 box alternative config. I started with a fresh install of
> 10.5.7server ,
> did a clean install of FMS SA, and imported a few databases for
> testing.
> T%his server never exhibits the issues with the FMP Server Admin
> module!   I
> was just really surprised.
>

> On 6/10/09 3:46 AM, "Neil Enock" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have been having massive issues with the Filemaker 10 server admin
>> console, and filemaker suggested I downgrade to 10.5.4 which I
>> finally
>> did last night.  I did an Archive and Install.  Installed OSX 10.5.
>> and then used the combined update to get to the recommended 10.5.4.
>>
>> Filemaker works well and the admin console even seems stable. (time
>> will tell).
>>
>> However, Lasso lists all formerly available databases as 'Not
>> Available' and will not let me alter that setting.
>>
>> I couldn't find anything specific in the list search.  Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neil
>> --
>>     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>>                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>>              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>>             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>>
>> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
>> [hidden email]
>> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another

Waters, Thomas C
I did some preliminary testing with XML for lasso, but I¹d say it isn¹t
enough yet. I will try and find time Friday to do more testing on this. Yes,
it works when 1 DB is attached to a few lasso pages. But unknown what
happens as # hits, # pages, or # database increase.

On 6/10/09 10:23 AM, "Neil Enock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neil
>>> --
>>>     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>>>                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>>>              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>>>             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>>>
>>> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>>> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
>>> [hidden email]
>>> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>      Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>                         ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>               Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>              Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

Thanks to Jason and Rick,

Learned something AND it works perfectly for my need...

Thanks again,
Michael

That's because when you output an entire array (and storing to a
database counts as output), it is converted into a string
representation of the array.

The typical solution for this is to serialize the array when storing
it, and unserialize it when you retrieve it. Serialization converts
the data into XML which preserves the structure of the array, the data
types of its individual members, etc.

Lasso has built-in tags to accomplish this.

Procedural versions:
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Serialize]
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Deserialize]

OOP versions:
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Null-%3ESerialize]
http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[Null-%3EDeserialize]

Bil Corry also has tags to "pack" and "unpack" complex data structures
which can be used for the same purpose:

http://tagswap.net/lp_var_pack
http://tagswap.net/lp_var_unpack

- jason

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Michael
Benedict<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello to all,
> Coming to the point.
> It is possible to "store" a complex array (an array of pairs) to a data
> field and then retrieve that string and create that same array by simply
> saving it to a variable? I see the array structure and it looks great, but
> Lasso does not see it as an array.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here.
> Thanks,
> Michael

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Saving an Array to a data field

bfr00
> Thanks to Jason and Rick,
>
> Learned something AND it works perfectly for my need...
>
> Thanks again,
> Michael

Why is the unserialized output different than the input?

[Variable: 'myArray'=(Array: 'one', 'two', 'three')]
[Variable: 'XML'=$myArray->Serialize]
[Variable: 'newArray'=null]
[$newArray->(Unserialize: $XML)]
[output: $newArray]

(Array: (one), (two), (three))

Shouldn't it be
(Array:'one', 'two', 'three' )

Re: Saving an Array to a data field

jasonhuck
That's the way arrays always appear when you output them. It's for
display only. Output your original array to the page before you
serialize it and you'll see they are the same.

- jason

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Bruce Robertson<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Thanks to Jason and Rick,
>>
>> Learned something AND it works perfectly for my need...
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Michael

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

Neil Enock
Based Thomas' experience I did a completely clean install of OSX,
updated to 10.5.7 and then installed FMSA10.  It worked, but the lasso
box still couldn't see the databases, thought the Filemaker clients
could.

I then took the databases out and used the 'Upload a Database' command
in the Filemaker admin console to upload the databases - success!

While this may be obvious to some. It is:

1. Not mentioned  in the Lasso Quickstart.
2. Unaccessible when your Admin console has been forced offline for
most of my time on FMSA10.
3. Not neccessary in OSX 10.4 as you can edit the permissions properly
in OSX 10.4 and you cannot in OSX 10.5!

Thanks for everybody's help.

Neil

On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:

> I did some preliminary testing with XML for lasso, but I¹d say it
> isn¹t
> enough yet. I will try and find time Friday to do more testing on
> this. Yes,
> it works when 1 DB is attached to a few lasso pages. But unknown what
> happens as # hits, # pages, or # database increase.
>

> On 6/10/09 10:23 AM, "Neil Enock" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yikes!  I have to reinstall - and now I don't know whether to down
>> grade to 10.5.4 or upgrade to 10.5.7.
>>
>> Thomas, are you XML serving to Lasso through 10.5.7?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neil
>>

>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:
>>
>>> Neil,
>>> After the earlier posts regarding this issue, I began to pay more
>>> attention
>>> to our server. We now have a server admin guy, and so I leave all of
>>> that to
>>> him, but also our FileMaker use is increasing, so I have had need to
>>> spend
>>> some more time on the FMS SA box.
>>>
>>> Our original FMS SA server was exhibiting the same issue that you
>>> describe.
>>> It was running 10.5.6. With 10.6 getting closer, and since I could
>>> work
>>> around the issue, I chose not to get too worried about it, but keep
>>> it in
>>> mind. Then, I had a need to set up a test FileMaker Server to try
>>> using the
>>> 2 box alternative config. I started with a fresh install of
>>> 10.5.7server ,
>>> did a clean install of FMS SA, and imported a few databases for
>>> testing.
>>> T%his server never exhibits the issues with the FMP Server Admin
>>> module!   I
>>> was just really surprised.

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>>     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>>                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>>              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
>>             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>>
>> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
>> [hidden email]
>> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

John May-2
Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
problems running FMSA10 on it here.

        - John

Neil Enock wrote:

> Based Thomas' experience I did a completely clean install of OSX,
> updated to 10.5.7 and then installed FMSA10.  It worked, but the lasso
> box still couldn't see the databases, thought the Filemaker clients could.
>
> I then took the databases out and used the 'Upload a Database' command
> in the Filemaker admin console to upload the databases - success!
>
> While this may be obvious to some. It is:
>
> 1. Not mentioned  in the Lasso Quickstart.
> 2. Unaccessible when your Admin console has been forced offline for most
> of my time on FMSA10.
> 3. Not neccessary in OSX 10.4 as you can edit the permissions properly
> in OSX 10.4 and you cannot in OSX 10.5!
>
> Thanks for everybody's help.
>
> Neil
>

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:
>
>> I did some preliminary testing with XML for lasso, but I¹d say it isn¹t
>> enough yet. I will try and find time Friday to do more testing on
>> this. Yes,
>> it works when 1 DB is attached to a few lasso pages. But unknown what
>> happens as # hits, # pages, or # database increase.
>>

>> On 6/10/09 10:23 AM, "Neil Enock" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yikes!  I have to reinstall - and now I don't know whether to down
>>> grade to 10.5.4 or upgrade to 10.5.7.
>>>
>>> Thomas, are you XML serving to Lasso through 10.5.7?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neil

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
              * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

Neil Enock
Hi John,

Apparently you can't change an owner of a file to fmserver - Filemaker
has to do it.

I ran into this a while ago and was told that is the way with OSX 10.5.x

For instance when I backed up my database files before the upgrade I
checked and the owner was fmserver.  When I unzipped them on the
upgraded machine, they had an owner of MaxiServFM, the machine name.
When I paced them in the database folder the worked but would not let
themselves be accessed by Lasso.  I stopped the server, yanked them
out of the folder, and used the console DB upload to bring them in -
presto, owner changed by FM and they work perfectly.

In OSX 4.x I could just select the owner and change it.  Nobody I know
- including Apple tech support - has shown me any other way to do it.

This also applies of I have to take a file off the server and mod it
or add a new one.  They have to be uploaded via the console.

If there is another way, lots of people I know would like to hear
about it.

Thanks for you help BTW.  I've almost completed the other server
upgrade!

Neil

On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:31 AM, John May wrote:

> Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
> problems running FMSA10 on it here.
>
> - John
>

> Neil Enock wrote:
>> Based Thomas' experience I did a completely clean install of OSX,
>> updated to 10.5.7 and then installed FMSA10.  It worked, but the
>> lasso box still couldn't see the databases, thought the Filemaker
>> clients could.
>> I then took the databases out and used the 'Upload a Database'
>> command in the Filemaker admin console to upload the databases -
>> success!
>> While this may be obvious to some. It is:
>> 1. Not mentioned  in the Lasso Quickstart.
>> 2. Unaccessible when your Admin console has been forced offline for
>> most of my time on FMSA10.
>> 3. Not neccessary in OSX 10.4 as you can edit the permissions
>> properly in OSX 10.4 and you cannot in OSX 10.5!
>> Thanks for everybody's help.
>> Neil
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Waters, Thomas C wrote:
>>> I did some preliminary testing with XML for lasso, but I¹d say it
>>> isn¹t
>>> enough yet. I will try and find time Friday to do more testing on
>>> this. Yes,
>>> it works when 1 DB is attached to a few lasso pages. But unknown
>>> what
>>> happens as # hits, # pages, or # database increase.

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>             * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

John May-2
You can certainly change the owner to fmserver - you just have to have
permissions to do such.  You probably need to be root to do such (or
sudo), and are you trying from the command line?  Eg:

        sudo chown fmserver filename.fp7

        - John

Neil Enock wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Apparently you can't change an owner of a file to fmserver - Filemaker
> has to do it.
>
> I ran into this a while ago and was told that is the way with OSX 10.5.x
>
> For instance when I backed up my database files before the upgrade I
> checked and the owner was fmserver.  When I unzipped them on the
> upgraded machine, they had an owner of MaxiServFM, the machine name.
> When I paced them in the database folder the worked but would not let
> themselves be accessed by Lasso.  I stopped the server, yanked them out
> of the folder, and used the console DB upload to bring them in - presto,
> owner changed by FM and they work perfectly.
>
> In OSX 4.x I could just select the owner and change it.  Nobody I know -
> including Apple tech support - has shown me any other way to do it.
>
> This also applies of I have to take a file off the server and mod it or
> add a new one.  They have to be uploaded via the console.
>
> If there is another way, lots of people I know would like to hear about it.
>
> Thanks for you help BTW.  I've almost completed the other server upgrade!
>
> Neil
>

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:31 AM, John May wrote:
>
>> Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
>> problems running FMSA10 on it here.
>>
>>     - John
>>

>> Neil Enock wrote:
>>> Based Thomas' experience I did a completely clean install of OSX,
>>> updated to 10.5.7 and then installed FMSA10.  It worked, but the
>>> lasso box still couldn't see the databases, thought the Filemaker
>>> clients could.
>>> I then took the databases out and used the 'Upload a Database'
>>> command in the Filemaker admin console to upload the databases -
>>> success!
>>> While this may be obvious to some. It is:
>>> 1. Not mentioned  in the Lasso Quickstart.
>>> 2. Unaccessible when your Admin console has been forced offline for
>>> most of my time on FMSA10.
>>> 3. Not neccessary in OSX 10.4 as you can edit the permissions
>>> properly in OSX 10.4 and you cannot in OSX 10.5!
>>> Thanks for everybody's help.
>>> Neil

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
              * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

Neil Enock
Hi John,

I generally stay away form the command line, although I'm becoming
more and more forced to use it. ;)

I was trying from the get info, where it used to be available.

If I didn't have permissions at the time, the system used to ask for
authentication.  Now it simply doesn't allow it.

Neil

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:09 PM, John May wrote:

> You can certainly change the owner to fmserver - you just have to
> have permissions to do such.  You probably need to be root to do
> such (or sudo), and are you trying from the command line?  Eg:
>
> sudo chown fmserver filename.fp7
>

> - John
>

> Neil Enock wrote:
>> Hi John,
>> Apparently you can't change an owner of a file to fmserver -
>> Filemaker has to do it.
>> I ran into this a while ago and was told that is the way with OSX
>> 10.5.x
>> For instance when I backed up my database files before the upgrade
>> I checked and the owner was fmserver.  When I unzipped them on the
>> upgraded machine, they had an owner of MaxiServFM, the machine
>> name.  When I paced them in the database folder the worked but
>> would not let themselves be accessed by Lasso.  I stopped the
>> server, yanked them out of the folder, and used the console DB
>> upload to bring them in - presto, owner changed by FM and they work
>> perfectly.
>> In OSX 4.x I could just select the owner and change it.  Nobody I
>> know - including Apple tech support - has shown me any other way to
>> do it.
>> This also applies of I have to take a file off the server and mod
>> it or add a new one.  They have to be uploaded via the console.
>> If there is another way, lots of people I know would like to hear
>> about it.
>> Thanks for you help BTW.  I've almost completed the other server
>> upgrade!
>> Neil
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:31 AM, John May wrote:
>>> Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
>>> problems running FMSA10 on it here.
>>>
>>>    - John

>>> --

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>             * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                        ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
              Cribscapes.com:  Incredible 3D Cribbage Boards!
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

gzasuwa
With Tiger OS you can change permissions and ownership using GET INFO
- in Leopard you have to use a program (not free), Called Super
GetInfo (trial is free) and you can modify all this very easily.

Sincerely,

Gerard  Zasuwa
Sr Systems Analyst
Henry Ford Health System
Greenfield Health Systems
http://ghsrenal.com

Clara Ford Pavilion #543
2799 West Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202

(313) 916-2651 office
(248) 202-7818 cell

On Jun 10, 2009, at 2:09 PM, John May wrote:

> You can certainly change the owner to fmserver - you just have to
> have permissions to do such.  You probably need to be root to do
> such (or sudo), and are you trying from the command line?  Eg:
>
> sudo chown fmserver filename.fp7
>

> - John
>

> Neil Enock wrote:
>> Hi John,
>> Apparently you can't change an owner of a file to fmserver -
>> Filemaker has to do it.
>> I ran into this a while ago and was told that is the way with OSX
>> 10.5.x
>> For instance when I backed up my database files before the upgrade
>> I checked and the owner was fmserver.  When I unzipped them on the
>> upgraded machine, they had an owner of MaxiServFM, the machine
>> name.  When I paced them in the database folder the worked but
>> would not let themselves be accessed by Lasso.  I stopped the
>> server, yanked them out of the folder, and used the console DB
>> upload to bring them in - presto, owner changed by FM and they work
>> perfectly.
>> In OSX 4.x I could just select the owner and change it.  Nobody I
>> know - including Apple tech support - has shown me any other way to
>> do it.
>> This also applies of I have to take a file off the server and mod
>> it or add a new one.  They have to be uploaded via the console.
>> If there is another way, lots of people I know would like to hear
>> about it.
>> Thanks for you help BTW.  I've almost completed the other server
>> upgrade!
>> Neil
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:31 AM, John May wrote:
>>> Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
>>> problems running FMSA10 on it here.
>>>
>>>    - John

>>> --

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>             * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the email from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send e-mail or Internet communications to us.

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

Brian Loomis-3
sudo chown fmserver:fmsadmin filename.fp7 and then sudo chmod 770
filename.fp7

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:09 PM, John May wrote:

> You can certainly change the owner to fmserver - you just have to
> have permissions to do such.  You probably need to be root to do
> such (or sudo), and are you trying from the command line?  Eg:
>
> sudo chown fmserver filename.fp7
>

> - John
>

> Neil Enock wrote:
>> Hi John,
>> Apparently you can't change an owner of a file to fmserver -
>> Filemaker has to do it.
>> I ran into this a while ago and was told that is the way with OSX
>> 10.5.x
>> For instance when I backed up my database files before the upgrade
>> I checked and the owner was fmserver.  When I unzipped them on the
>> upgraded machine, they had an owner of MaxiServFM, the machine
>> name.  When I paced them in the database folder the worked but
>> would not let themselves be accessed by Lasso.  I stopped the
>> server, yanked them out of the folder, and used the console DB
>> upload to bring them in - presto, owner changed by FM and they work
>> perfectly.
>> In OSX 4.x I could just select the owner and change it.  Nobody I
>> know - including Apple tech support - has shown me any other way to
>> do it.
>> This also applies of I have to take a file off the server and mod
>> it or add a new one.  They have to be uploaded via the console.
>> If there is another way, lots of people I know would like to hear
>> about it.
>> Thanks for you help BTW.  I've almost completed the other server
>> upgrade!
>> Neil
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:31 AM, John May wrote:
>>> Why can you not edit permissions properly in 10.5?  We've had no
>>> problems running FMSA10 on it here.
>>>
>>>    - John

>>> --

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>       Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>             * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

Brian Loomis
http://www.virtualrelations.us
(208) 639-2569 - 208 NEW BLOX

Re: Downgrade of OSX to fix one problem creates another [Fixed]

dguardiola

Le 10 juin 09 à 21:11, Gerard Zasuwa a écrit :

> With Tiger OS you can change permissions and ownership using GET
> INFO - in Leopard you have to use a program (not free), Called Super
> GetInfo (trial is free) and you can modify all this very easily.

check also BatChmod, really simple