Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Katarina Ellingson

Hi,

I'm running Filemaker Server 7 on a PC Win 2003 Server. Lasso 8.0.5 and
Filemaker Web Publishing engine on a Mac, OS 10.4. This Mac also holds
Apache web server.

Everything looked OK after installation. The databases were showing in the
Filemaker Admin console and also in the Lasso Web Admin. I was also able to
retriev records through a Lasso Inline web search.

A few hours later suddenly all 8 databases were "Not Available" in the
Lasso Web Admin (the error message is "FILEMAKER_CONNECTOR error 9 after
select()2/timeout os msg Bad file descriptor"). The databases are still
visible in the Filemaker Admin console.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What causes the databases to all
of a sudden being "Not available", with no settings changed?

Katarina

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

m i l e s
Katarina,

Having done a rather large job with FMPSA and hating every last
second of it...(WHINE, WHINE, WHINE)
my experience tells me two things, a.) don't believe what the FMPSA
admin is telling you and b.) 3 simple
words: RESTART, RESTART, RESTART.  Say it with me!

That said.

Ahem.

Katarina more than likely the service has crashed and you'll need to
restart it.  Either the FMP Server itself
OR what is more than likely the IWP has died.  Restart both.  That
should clear up the problem.  Lasso isn't
the problem here.  Its FMPSA.  When the lasso admin says that it
can't connect, that's not a lasso problem
if the u/p are correct, that's FMPs fault.  And from my experience
its usually the IWP that has up and died
and has a nasty way of telling you that its dead.  Usually right in
the middle of a job.

Hope that helps.

M i l e s.

---- LASSO DEVELOPER FOR HIRE: CHEAP RATES - NEEDS WORK ----
   -don't know what lasso is ? - http://www.omnipilot.com/
M i l e s                                [hidden email]
MagicMiles Software                         (413) 374 - 5161
http://www.magicmiles.com/        AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
"It seems to me that if there were any logic to our language,
'Trust' would be a four letter word."

- Joel Goodson -- 'Risky Business', 1983.

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Thomas Waters
What about another possibility?

we had trouble with aset up and the problem turned out the be a
firewall rule issue between VLans.  The port was supposed to be open,
but when the ruuleset was implemented the rule was missing so no
connectivity....
On Jul 5, 2005, at 12:21 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> Katarina,
>
> Having done a rather large job with FMPSA and hating every last
> second of it...(WHINE, WHINE, WHINE)
> my experience tells me two things, a.) don't believe what the FMPSA
> admin is telling you and b.) 3 simple
> words: RESTART, RESTART, RESTART.  Say it with me!
>
> That said.
>
> Ahem.
>
> Katarina more than likely the service has crashed and you'll need
> to restart it.  Either the FMP Server itself
> OR what is more than likely the IWP has died.  Restart both.  That
> should clear up the problem.  Lasso isn't
> the problem here.  Its FMPSA.  When the lasso admin says that it
> can't connect, that's not a lasso problem
> if the u/p are correct, that's FMPs fault.  And from my experience
> its usually the IWP that has up and died
> and has a nasty way of telling you that its dead.  Usually right in
> the middle of a job.
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> M i l e s.
>
> ---- LASSO DEVELOPER FOR HIRE: CHEAP RATES - NEEDS WORK ----
>   -don't know what lasso is ? - http://www.omnipilot.com/
> M i l e s                                [hidden email]
> MagicMiles Software                         (413) 374 - 5161
> http://www.magicmiles.com/        AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
> "It seems to me that if there were any logic to our language,
> 'Trust' would be a four letter word."
>
> - Joel Goodson -- 'Risky Business', 1983.

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Katarina Ellingson
Thank you Thomas and Miles for your suggestions.

We have tried restarting several times, with no luck though...:-(  We have
also checked over the possibility of firewall blocking, and that doesn´t
seem to be the problem. So, still clueless!!

All databases shows in Lasso Administration Console, whether they are open
or not, but are "Not available". So, Lasso knows what databases there are,
but can't access them for any further information like tables and fields.
How do I make them available (which would be enabled or disabled)?

Katarina

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

James Harvard
Have you tried just pinging the FMP box from the Lasso box, and vice versa, to ensure that the two servers are able to see each other?

>Thank you Thomas and Miles for your suggestions.
>
>We have tried restarting several times, with no luck though...:-(  We have also checked over the possibility of firewall blocking, and that doesn´t seem to be the problem. So, still clueless!!
>
>All databases shows in Lasso Administration Console, whether they are open or not, but are "Not available". So, Lasso knows what databases there are, but can't access them for any further information like tables and fields. How do I make them available (which would be enabled or disabled)?
>
>Katarina

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Katarina Ellingson
Thank you James,

After making sure that the machines all communicated, and after trying
everything possible we kinda "gave in" and consulted en expert who started
looking also for the "impossible" reasons for the system to act up.

As I mentioned earler we run Apache Web Server. In the Apache settings
there is, among other, an encoding-module that needs to be unchecked. After
unchecking, the databases were all of a sudden Enabled.

I can't explain why this setting is of any relevance to database access,
but I needed to pass this along just because of the solution being a little
obscure and hard to figure out.

Katarina

At 13:32 2005-07-06, you wrote:

>Have you tried just pinging the FMP box from the Lasso box, and vice
>versa, to ensure that the two servers are able to see each other?
>
> >Thank you Thomas and Miles for your suggestions.
> >
> >We have tried restarting several times, with no luck though...:-(  We
> have also checked over the possibility of firewall blocking, and that
> doesn´t seem to be the problem. So, still clueless!!
> >
> >All databases shows in Lasso Administration Console, whether they are
> open or not, but are "Not available". So, Lasso knows what databases
> there are, but can't access them for any further information like tables
> and fields. How do I make them available (which would be enabled or disabled)?
> >
> >Katarina

Re: Databases "Not available" in Lasso Web Admin

Johan Solve
Make sure you're up to date with the FM Server and Web Publishing
Engine versions. They should both be 7.0v3 currently.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer