Convert an DualCore PC -> Cent OS w/ MySQL?

Convert an DualCore PC -> Cent OS w/ MySQL?

Steven Evans
Good morning,

I've been fighting processor usage on my old Xserve running Lasso 8.5
and MYSQL 4.0.24 (as installed by OSX).  I'm now ready to make some
changes, changes that I have long feared doing....but the time is
now.  I had long thought that I would just get a second x-serve for
mysql, but everything I have read has lead me to believe that as cool
as macs are, the x-serve isn't necesarily the best, most cost-
effective platform for MySQL.

That being said, many of you recommend Cent as a good
alternative....I've just never touched it.  If I download Cent onto a
fairly modern PC and put a fast HD and a bunch of memory in there,
will I find this a fairly seamless process?  Does anybody have a
tutorial or know of a tutorial for this?

I am a bit worried about getting the sql data moved over from 4.024 to
something newer as well....should I be concerned about that?  What is
the best way to do it?

I'm totally open minded here....just excited to separate Lasso and
MYsql to see if I can get my X-serve to behave...

Thanks!

sqe

Steven Q. Evans
Director of Technological Resources
MSI Production Services
http://www.msiprod.com
(858)348-0629 • Mobile (858)344-3351 • (707)215-1032 Fax • [hidden email]

Re: Convert an DualCore PC -> Cent OS w/ MySQL?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
On 14. aug 2008, at 19:41, Steven Evans wrote:

> That being said, many of you recommend Cent as a good
> alternative....I've just never touched it.  If I download Cent onto
> a fairly modern PC and put a fast HD and a bunch of memory in there,
> will I find this a fairly seamless process?  Does anybody have a
> tutorial or know of a tutorial for this?

I'm a total absolute n00b here, but Marc Pope pointed me to this
resource for a walkthrough on how to install CentOS as server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4

Marc pointed me to this download of CentOS 4.6 - disk image ready to go:

http://mirror.steadfast.net/centos/4.6/isos/i386/CentOS-4.6-i386-binDVD.iso

Marc also have a short article about Lasso on Linux here:

http://www.lassotech.com/centoslinuxfaststart

/nikolaj

Re: Convert an DualCore PC -> Cent OS w/ MySQL?

Jussi Hirvi
Steven Evans <[hidden email]> escribio (14.8.2008 20:41)
> That being said, many of you recommend Cent as a good
> alternative....I've just never touched it.  If I download Cent onto a
> fairly modern PC and put a fast HD and a bunch of memory in there,
> will I find this a fairly seamless process?  Does anybody have a
> tutorial or know of a tutorial for this?

The "fairly modern" might pose some problems, because the hw support in
CentOS lags behind sometimes - so I've been told. That is, compared to other
(non-enterprise) Red Hat distros.

If you have problems getting CentOS to boot your PC, ask this list first,
you might save yourself hours or more. :-)

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi  *  Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C  *  00250 Helsinki  *  Finland

Re: Convert an DualCore PC -> Cent OS w/ MySQL?

Marc Pope
Steven:

Installing CentOS for the first time can be a little intimidating
(really any Linux). The guide mentioned in a previous response is well
done. You can search HowToForge to find a lot of tutorials on how to
install things.

If you are just going to run MySQL only, I might look at a newer
distro like Ubuntu or Fedora.  CentOS works fine too, but I'd run
CentOS 5 instead of 4. You really only need to run CentOS 4 if you
need Lasso because Lasso isn't yet made for CentOS 5. CentOS IMO is
rock solid but if you need the latest hardware support, you're better
off with something like Fedora.

If you want to stick with CentOS (not a bad thing at all), here's a
pre-made server for about $967 I configured that works perfectly:
http://tinyurl.com/6m3wwb

(Oh, darn...looks like the 1u Case is currently out of stock, so you'd
have to hunt one down somewhere else).

If you want to start off a little cheaper, these work very well,
Refurb Dell 850... (approx $650):
http://www.stikc.com/dell-poweredge-850-preconfigured-1u-rackmount-server-pe850-p30154.html

You'll be surprised how fast these machines are for the $$.

Marc