ChartFX Setup Woes

Jason Pettis
Hello List,
I have been struggling to get ChartFX to work on Windows IIS servers.

I initially asked about setup in this thread:
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=166698
And I had some hope after reading Steve Upton's set up for virtual
servers under OS X: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=167279

However, I just can't get the config right. My setup:
Initially: windows 2000 server w IIS 5, running several sites from the
server. The webserver root was set to a directory on the D drive.
Test server: Windows 2003 server w IIS, running one site defined on the
C drive.

The ChartFX setup guide says to modify the path in the
chartfx.internet.config file. The suggested "most common value" for
windows web server root was C:\Temp\chartfx62\temp. Neither of my
servers use C:\Temp as the web root. In fact, neither have a Temp
directory at the C: drive level.

On the Windows 2000 server I have tried putting the chartfx62 directory
in the same location as my primary site, in each site, in the directory
holding each site, and in the WINDOWS\temp directory. I have also tried
to put the directory in each location and webshare the folder.

On the windows 2003 server I have put the chartfx62 directory in the web
root directory and in the Windows\temp directory. I also tried creating
C:\Temp and putting chartfx62 in there as well.

Each time I have modified the chartfx.internet.config file to reflect
the directory location, and restarted the entire computer.

After each restart I have tried to access the provided example file. I
can get the page to load, and it says how many milliseconds the chart
took to render, but there is no chart. I'm guessing I have the chartfx62
folder in the wrong location? I don't get any errors indicating what the
problem could be.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to get this to work.

Thanks!
Jason Pettis

Re: ChartFX Setup Woes

Steve Upton
At 10:10 AM -0600 9/11/06, Jason Pettis wrote:

>Hello List,
>I have been struggling to get ChartFX to work on Windows IIS servers.
>
>I initially asked about setup in this thread:
>http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=166698
>And I had some hope after reading Steve Upton's set up for virtual
>servers under OS X: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=167279
>
>After each restart I have tried to access the provided example file. I
>can get the page to load, and it says how many milliseconds the chart
>took to render, but there is no chart. I'm guessing I have the chartfx62
>folder in the wrong location? I don't get any errors indicating what the
>problem could be.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to get this to work.

first, check in the chartfx62's temp folder to see if the graph was created.

What I found was I was dealing with two issues. One, putting the folder in a location that chartfx would find and drop the completed graph into. THEN the other was linking to that folder from a different location (virtual site). Once I had Chartfx dropping graphs into the folder then I only needed to figure out the other part. The browser could not see the files until I did step 2 but at least I knew they were being created.

And yes, OMNIPilot need this documented better...

Regards,

Steve