Cannot get the € (euro) sign through

Henning Jakobsen

Hi all...

Running OS X 10.3.5
        Web* 5.3.3
        Lasso 6
        Filemaker Unlimited 6.0v4
        FileMaker WebCompanion 6.0v3
     ...@ a PowerMac G5/1600

When articles in my Filemaker database has a € (euro) sign, somewhere on the
way to my pages the sign is lost.  The $ and £ signe (USD + GBP) signs are
treated quite OK and can be entered in the database as signs - and show up
on the webpages as signs.

To display the EURO-sign, I have to use € in the database text-field
and encode the field showing the text with:  [field: '....', -EncodeSmart]

Any idea what kills the single-character Euro-signs:  €

Thanks..

    / Henning

Re: Cannot get the € (euro) sign through

Clive Bruton

On 24 May, 2005, at 01:05, Henning Jakobsen wrote:

> When articles in my Filemaker database has a € (euro) sign, somewhere
> on the
> way to my pages the sign is lost.

I just tested this myself with Lasso 6 and FM5, some weird results too:

        Update a field from Safari to include € (euro symbol) and all appears
        be ok - euro symbol shows in edit and non-edit modes for this interface
        and FM field shows euro symbol when viewed directly.

        Viewing the source of the HTML in Safari shows "nothing" where the
        euro symbol should be - ie it's just like it isn't there, no space,
        no alternative character, nothing.

        Save page and view source in BBEdit shows Ä (A-dieresis) rather
        than a euro or any encoded entity.

Whatever it is doing now, it should really be encoding the euro to the
Unicode glyph ID.

Very odd.

-- Clive