Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker
Hi,

I am trying out the Beta Cache Tags for LP 8.5.5. My Test Server is a
XServe G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Running Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 with 5GB RAM.

Can I please get a few of you to run this code a few times, and post
the results, along with what you are running it on:

[var:'my_timer' = (integer: _date_msec)]
Start: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
[Cache: -Name='Test',-expires=120]
[server_time]<br>
[/cache]
Finish: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>

Obviously it is never going to be faster to cache [server_time] but
that was an easy way for me to tell if the cache was working. I'm
wanting to see how long it takes to retrieve something from the cache,
so I can decide when it is worth while using.

My numbers tend to be around the 155 milliseconds mark.. which I would
have thought was quite slow, hence the question.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker

On 3/01/2009, at 5:01 PM, S S wrote:

> These are my results
>
> Start: 0 milliseconds
> 10:56:02 PM
> Finish: 16 milliseconds
>
> I'm running Lasso 8.5.4 on a Windows XP machine SP3, 3 gigs of ram,
> P-D 2.8GHZ.

Wow.. 10 times faster than mine.. Any other PPC G5 results?

Daniel

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Eric Landmann
Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, January 3, 2009:

>On 3/01/2009, at 5:01 PM, S S wrote:
>
>> These are my results
>>
>> Start: 0 milliseconds
>> 10:56:02 PM
>> Finish: 16 milliseconds
>>
>> I'm running Lasso 8.5.4 on a Windows XP machine SP3, 3 gigs of ram,
>> P-D 2.8GHZ.

Tested on a production XServe with about 50 sites.
Dual 2.0GHz PowerPC G5, 5Gb RAM
Lasso 8.5.5

Average about 26 milliseconds.

--Eric

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Jolle Carlestam-2
Tested on an Anu Centos Lasso 8.5.5
Average 2-3 milliseconds

Tested on an Xserve 10.4.X G5 Lasso 8.5.6
Average 4-5 milliseconds.
Although I'm not sure the Xserve runs the beta cache tags. The Centos
does.

3 jan 2009 kl. 04.54 skrev Daniel Parker:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying out the Beta Cache Tags for LP 8.5.5. My Test Server is a
> XServe G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Running Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 with 5GB RAM.
>
> Can I please get a few of you to run this code a few times, and post
> the results, along with what you are running it on:
>
> [var:'my_timer' = (integer: _date_msec)]
> Start: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
> [Cache: -Name='Test',-expires=120]
> [server_time]<br>
> [/cache]
> Finish: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
>
> Obviously it is never going to be faster to cache [server_time] but
> that was an easy way for me to tell if the cache was working. I'm
> wanting to see how long it takes to retrieve something from the cache,
> so I can decide when it is worth while using.
>
> My numbers tend to be around the 155 milliseconds mark.. which I would
> have thought was quite slow, hence the question.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Jona Tallieu

> Can I please get a few of you to run this code a few times, and post
> the results, along with what you are running it on:
>
> [var:'my_timer' = (integer: _date_msec)]
> Start: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
> [Cache: -Name='Test',-expires=120]
> [server_time]<br>
> [/cache]
> Finish: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
>
> Obviously it is never going to be faster to cache [server_time] but
> that was an easy way for me to tell if the cache was working. I'm
> wanting to see how long it takes to retrieve something from the cache,
> so I can decide when it is worth while using.
>
> My numbers tend to be around the 155 milliseconds mark.. which I would
> have thought was quite slow, hence the question.

Start: 0 milliseconds
06:21:55 PM
Finish: 3 milliseconds

This is on a dual G5 Xserve 2.3Ghz running 10.4.11 with 5GB RAM
Apache 1.3.33

Lasso 8.5.5 with Caching settings "Allow caching: NO"

J.

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker

On 4/01/2009, at 4:58 AM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, January 3,
> 2009:
>

>> On 3/01/2009, at 5:01 PM, S S wrote:
>>
>>> These are my results
>>>
>>> Start: 0 milliseconds
>>> 10:56:02 PM
>>> Finish: 16 milliseconds
>>>
>>> I'm running Lasso 8.5.4 on a Windows XP machine SP3, 3 gigs of ram,
>>> P-D 2.8GHZ.

I retested today and my timing went to 900 milliseconds (Processor
usage at the time was 10%).

So I rebooted the machine.. now its 5 milliseconds!

I guess I will see if it gets worse as time goes on.

Thanks
Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker

On 4/01/2009, at 10:51 AM, Daniel Parker wrote:

> On 4/01/2009, at 4:58 AM, Eric Landmann wrote:
>
>> Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, January 3,
>> 2009:

> I retested today and my timing went to 900 milliseconds (Processor
> usage at the time was 10%).
>
> So I rebooted the machine.. now its 5 milliseconds!

After 6 hours I am now back over 200 milliseconds.

I am testing this on two different machines with similar specs, under
similar load, and getting the same results.

If I reboot both machines it cache time comes back to 5ms.

I can't figure out how to get any stats for what is in the cache, as
the Cache List in Siteadmin is empty (I don't think it is supported in
the Beta tags)

So, at least to me, it looks like the Beta Cache Tags also have issues
(Possibly only under Mac OS X 10.5?).

Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Steffan A. Cline
on 1/3/09 9:14 PM, Daniel Parker at [hidden email] wrote:

> On 4/01/2009, at 10:51 AM, Daniel Parker wrote:
>

>> On 4/01/2009, at 4:58 AM, Eric Landmann wrote:
>>
>>> Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, January 3,
>>> 2009:

>> I retested today and my timing went to 900 milliseconds (Processor
>> usage at the time was 10%).
>>
>> So I rebooted the machine.. now its 5 milliseconds!
>
> After 6 hours I am now back over 200 milliseconds.
>
> I am testing this on two different machines with similar specs, under
> similar load, and getting the same results.
>
> If I reboot both machines it cache time comes back to 5ms.
>
> I can't figure out how to get any stats for what is in the cache, as
> the Cache List in Siteadmin is empty (I don't think it is supported in
> the Beta tags)
>
> So, at least to me, it looks like the Beta Cache Tags also have issues
> (Possibly only under Mac OS X 10.5?).
>
> Daniel Parker
Sad to say, I think it's an issue of the OS more than Lasso. Believe me, it
kills me to say that as I have been a die hard Mac fan since I did sales
back in '86 selling Apple II, IIe and IIc. I have begun the transition to
CentOS as it seems to be better at handling memory management. It can be up
for MONTHS without a single reboot even after system updates.

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 7 9 3 . 0 0 1 4 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
YAHOO : Steffan_Cline   MSN : [hidden email]
GOOGLE: Steffan.Cline             Lasso Partner Alliance Member

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Johan Solve
On Mac Pro with Leopard and Lasso 8.5.5:

With Cache Tags Beta:
4-5 ms

With stock cache tags:
5-6 ms

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying out the Beta Cache Tags for LP 8.5.5. My Test Server is a XServe
> G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Running Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 with 5GB RAM.
>
> Can I please get a few of you to run this code a few times, and post the
> results, along with what you are running it on:
>
> [var:'my_timer' = (integer: _date_msec)]
> Start: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
> [Cache: -Name='Test',-expires=120]
> [server_time]<br>
> [/cache]
> Finish: [(integer: _date_msec ) - $my_timer] milliseconds<br>
>
> Obviously it is never going to be faster to cache [server_time] but that was
> an easy way for me to tell if the cache was working. I'm wanting to see how
> long it takes to retrieve something from the cache, so I can decide when it
> is worth while using.
>
> My numbers tend to be around the 155 milliseconds mark.. which I would have
> thought was quite slow, hence the question.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Daniel Parker

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: Cache Tag Speed

CoMedia
Daniel Parker wrote
Can I please get a few of you to run this code a few times, and post
the results, along with what you are running it on
Start: 0 milliseconds
04:59:28 PM
Finish: 2 milliseconds

XServe 2x2 GHz Xeon, 8 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server (12 days since last restart, I only restart the machine for OS updates).

Best regards, Alfred

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker wrote on 1/3/2009 10:14 PM:
> So, at least to me, it looks like the Beta Cache Tags also have issues
> (Possibly only under Mac OS X 10.5?).

Most likely what you're seeing is the result of the cache tags growing the size of the cache significantly; and/or some pruning process taking up some cycles.  When you restart, the cache is cleared and everything speeds up (since there is little in the cache).

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker

On 5/01/2009, at 6:37 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Daniel Parker wrote on 1/3/2009 10:14 PM:
>> So, at least to me, it looks like the Beta Cache Tags also have
>> issues
>> (Possibly only under Mac OS X 10.5?).
>
> Most likely what you're seeing is the result of the cache tags
> growing the size of the cache significantly; and/or some pruning
> process taking up some cycles.  When you restart, the cache is
> cleared and everything speeds up (since there is little in the cache).

Yes.. this is what I figure is happening.. But I lack the ability to
tell what is going on. If someone can tell me how to better diagnose
this problem I'm 'all ears'

The page that I am actually trying to cache takes about 400ms to
process.. and after a reboot with the beta tags enabled takes 89ms..
but after about 6 hours takes 2000ms.

I have turned caching off until I can progress further.

Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Bil Corry-3
Daniel Parker wrote on 1/5/2009 3:51 AM:
> The page that I am actually trying to cache takes about 400ms to
> process.. and after a reboot with the beta tags enabled takes 89ms.. but
> after about 6 hours takes 2000ms.

Are you caching the page for every visitor?  Or caching a single page for all visitors?  And are you storing the cache in a global or in sessions?

I'd recommend checking the size of the cache when it starts getting slow and see how much data is being squirreled away...

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Johan Solve
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Bil Corry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Daniel Parker wrote on 1/5/2009 3:51 AM:
>> The page that I am actually trying to cache takes about 400ms to
>> process.. and after a reboot with the beta tags enabled takes 89ms.. but
>> after about 6 hours takes 2000ms.
>
> Are you caching the page for every visitor?  Or caching a single page for all visitors?  And are you storing the cache in a global or in sessions?
>
> I'd recommend checking the size of the cache when it starts getting slow and see how much data is being squirreled away...

The cache tags beta has a [Cache_Maintenance] tag that is currently
never called, but should be called daily at low traffic hours.
You should also make sure to ahve a total cache storage limit set,
otherwise the cache_maintenance tag will not do anything.

--
Mvh
Johan Sölve

On 6/01/2009, at 4:13 AM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Are you caching the page for every visitor?  Or caching a single
> page for all visitors?  And are you storing the cache in a global or
> in sessions?

Hi,

The page is made up of 11 cached objects, stored globally for all
visitors:

The page is here:
http://www.beerstore.co.nz/search.lasso?Type=Mixed%20Case&Title=Gift%20Ideas

The cached objects are 'Search for Beer', 'Top 10 Sellers', and the
contents of each of the 9 squares in the table.

> I'd recommend checking the size of the cache when it starts getting
> slow and see how much data is being squirreled away...

I don't know how to do this with the Beta tags, as there is nothing in
the Siteadmin. The cached object list is empty.

Regards
Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker

On 6/01/2009, at 9:01 AM, Johan Solve wrote:

> The cache tags beta has a [Cache_Maintenance] tag that is currently
> never called, but should be called daily at low traffic hours.
> You should also make sure to ahve a total cache storage limit set,
> otherwise the cache_maintenance tag will not do anything.

Hi,

I looked at this yesterday, and ran it, but it didn't seam to make any
difference. I couldn't tell if it did anything as there is no output.

My current Cache settings in siteadmin are:

Allow Caching: Yes
Maximum Expiration 86400 Seconds (Appr. 1 Days)
Maximum Cache Size 327680 Bytes (Appr. 320 K)
Maximum Total Storage 52428800 Bytes (Appr. 50 M)
Host Specific Caches: Yes

Regards
Daniel Parker

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Brian K. Middendorf
On Jan 5, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Daniel Parker wrote:

> The page is here:
> http://www.beerstore.co.nz/search.lasso?Type=Mixed%20Case&Title=Gift
> %20Ideas

<http://www.beerstore.co.nz/detail.lasso?BeerID=M022>

9% ABV glass?  Wow, that's strong!

-brian.

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Daniel Parker wrote on 1/5/2009 5:40 PM:
>> I'd recommend checking the size of the cache when it starts getting
>> slow and see how much data is being squirreled away...
>
> I don't know how to do this with the Beta tags, as there is nothing in
> the Siteadmin. The cached object list is empty.

Try this:

        define_tag: 'cachesize', -required='storage';
                iterate: #storage, local: 'cache';
                        #size += (string: (#cache -> value -> (find: 'content')))->size;
                /iterate;
                return: #size;
        /define_tag;
        cachesize(#storage);

I pulled it out of the cache source code.

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Johan Solve
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Bil Corry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel Parker wrote on 1/5/2009 5:40 PM:
>>> I'd recommend checking the size of the cache when it starts getting
>>> slow and see how much data is being squirreled away...
>>
>> I don't know how to do this with the Beta tags, as there is nothing in
>> the Siteadmin. The cached object list is empty.
>
> Try this:
>
>        define_tag: 'cachesize', -required='storage';
>                iterate: #storage, local: 'cache';
>                        #size += (string: (#cache -> value -> (find: 'content')))->size;
>                /iterate;
>                return: #size;
>        /define_tag;
>        cachesize(#storage);
>

> I pulled it out of the cache source code.

It doesn't look like this will work for the cache beta tags, which has
a completely different strategy for cache storage. However you can
pull some code out of the cache_maintenance tag to calculate the
effective storage size.

--
Mvh
Johan Sölve
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: Cache Tag Speed

Jolle Carlestam-2
Since this is beta tags the reference doesn't mention them. And
lassotech neither. So where's the info on how to use them? In
particular the Cache_Maintenance.