Barcode rotation in PDF document

JPK_ESYSTEMES
Hi List...

We are trying to make a PDF product label in our app.
There is a SKU, description, provider name, and so on... AND a Code 39 BarCode.

All is correct with figures and text... But the barcode is intended to be displayed rotated 90 degrees.

The barCode can be generated with the lasso provided tags, or, as it is a "code 39" we could write it with the right font face...
Then do an image, rotate it, as a PDF image or with image magick... Or both !

There is a problem about image / pdf resolution...

There was an old thread here about that, but no real answer...
Any ideas on how to do that ? Has any one on list did that before ?

Regards from France !-)

Working with Lasso 8.5 / Mac OSX
---
Jean-Pierre Kocherhans
E SYSTEMES
http://www.e-systemes.com

RE: Barcode rotation in PDF document

Rick Draper-2
Hi Jean-Pierre,

I'm not sure of the thread to which you refer, but we are lacing barcodes on small PDFs and then rotating them without any obvious resolution issues (admittedly in Lasso 9.1.*, but the underlying code is similar).

Have you tried it and generated a poor outcome?  There was an issue with rotating some elements within the PDF which Bil Corry fixed for us by changing some underlying Java code - perhaps if you can advise what you have tried with what Lasso code, we might be able to assist.

Very best regards (from Australia),

Rick

RE: Barcode rotation in PDF document

JPK_ESYSTEMES
Thanks Rick for your answer and sending me offlist the Java component.

I was refering to 2008 posts about PDF page rotation and the -rotate parameter not working as expected in [PDF_Doc] tag
Bill Corry, Mark Palmer and Fletcher Sandbeck were discussing that issue in Lasso 8.5, mac and window setup.

Indeed it seems that updating the LassoModules/PDF.jar resolves the point.

We are going to test that in our app and setup and let you know.

JP
------------------
"Rick Draper" wrote on Sat, 19 May 2012 06:01:28 +1000

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I'm not sure of the thread to which you refer, but we are lacing barcodes on small PDFs and then rotating them without any obvious resolution issues (admittedly in Lasso 9.1.*, but the underlying code is similar).

Have you tried it and generated a poor outcome?  There was an issue with rotating some elements within the PDF which Bil Corry fixed for us by changing some underlying Java code - perhaps if you can advise what you have tried with what Lasso code, we might be able to assist.

Very best regards (from Australia),

Rick
---
Jean-Pierre Kocherhans
E SYSTEMES
http://www.e-systemes.com

Re: Barcode rotation in PDF document

JPK_ESYSTEMES
Well !

It seems that we are stucked with our PDF rotation stuff.
In our setUp, Lasso 8.5.6 / Mac OSX Server 10.6.4, we updated the PDF.jar in LassoModule. We've tried several versions of this...
No success.
the -rotate parameter do not happen to rotate anything as should be expected.
That f.. barcode stays straight sticked to the horizon line !

Well, 'guess we're going to change the display on our label...

We are trying to print to PDF a Label with SKU, title, product name... And a BarCode, which is 90 degrees oriented on the label.

Last cry in the Lasso Night !
Any body in here does have a clue for us ?

(Anything else than Update to 8.6 or 9, that we may be should do, or  do it in PHP - Aaarghh -, please !-)

Regards
JP
----
Le 19 mai 2012 à 08:07, [hidden email] a écrit :

[...]

Hi Jean-Paul,

I have an idea as to how you can do this but am really pressed for time at the moment.  Essentially though, I suggest you create a PDF or image with the barcode, save that, then insert it rotated into place.

It's a work-around, not a fix, but is the way I would approach it.

Very best regards,

Rick

RE: Barcode rotation in PDF document

Daniel Logue
Hi Jean-Paul,

I had a very similar requirement to yours, except I needed a whole document and the barcode to be rotated.  I basically did what Rick suggested; I created the PDF, converted it to an image using GhostScript, and inserted it as an image, which I easily rotated, into another PDF.

Cheers,
Daniel Logue

Re: Barcode rotation in PDF document

JPK_ESYSTEMES
Hi Daniel, Rick and list

We managed to rotate our PDF part
in facts, the -rotate parameter of the tag [PDF_Doc->Add] do not work, even with the new downloaded PDF.jar
We finaly used the -rotate parameter of the tag [PDF_Doc->Insert Page] with success, and we now have our vertical barcode inserted in the design of our label...

Obviously more clean than to insert a rotated bitmap image as every parts of the produced PDF document is vectorised, and so lightweight and more accurate in terms of definition...

We only have now to test the script with the original PDF.jar in the Lasso Modules

Regards
JP