Bar Cade Reader Integration

Rick Draper-2
Hi All,

Can anyone that has played with integrating a bar code reader with their web
applications give me some pointers?

With a bit of Googling it seems that it is not difficult to have the barcode
read into a selected field on a form, but I would be keen to learn from your
experiences and recommendations of things that are a must and things to
avoid.

Thanks and very best regards,

Rick

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

JP-14

On Apr 14, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Rick Draper wrote:
        about bar code readers and web applications

You're right, bar code readers (USB-based of course) will enter data into a field where the cursor is at.  All without any additional programming to read input stream.  That's OS level so no need to deal with drivers, etc.

I use the bar code reader to swipe bar codes from books in a library collection (with a non-Lasso based library management system).  All that is needed is to ensure that the field is selected and then scan the bar code and viola the data shows up.

But you do have to press Enter to tell it to perform action.  Crafty programmers probably can write up some JAAX, JQuery or most likely Javascript to take care of that ...but I like being able to control when to process the data inputted.

Slick.

jp

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

decorior
We use a  javascript library to read credit card encoding.

We have some AJAX code that will focus the input, process the data and
then return the input for the next swipe.

We have trouble with IE8 not recognizing a  change in state!

Deco
On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:30 PM, JP wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Rick Draper wrote:
> about bar code readers and web applications
>
> You're right, bar code readers (USB-based of course) will enter data
> into a field where the cursor is at.  All without any additional
> programming to read input stream.  That's OS level so no need to
> deal with drivers, etc.
>
> I use the bar code reader to swipe bar codes from books in a library
> collection (with a non-Lasso based library management system).  All
> that is needed is to ensure that the field is selected and then scan
> the bar code and viola the data shows up.
>
> But you do have to press Enter to tell it to perform action.  Crafty
> programmers probably can write up some JAAX, JQuery or most likely
> Javascript to take care of that ...but I like being able to control
> when to process the data inputted.
>
> Slick.
>
> jp

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

Robert Carpenter
I did a little project with mag readers recently, here's a few notes:

- make sure to get one of the newer USB readers with Keyboard
Emulation. The system registers it like a keyboard, and when you swipe
a card, it's (from the machine perspective) just like typing in the
values on the magstrip...only like you're a really, really fast
typist :-)

- I used jquery to build the client scripts (where most of the action
is), mainly for it's String.fromCharCode() function, which smoothes
out some of the rough edges with browsers reading the input, in
addition to all the other jquery goodness.

- The standards for mag strips data formats for credit cards are
pretty well documented, hit up google to get info on what sort of data
to expect. In my case I was working with gift cards, so I had to do
some research/testing to get the formats right.

- once you know the data formats you can expect, build some good
validation routines - bad swipes are easy to do and you want to tell
the user to try again

HTH!
-robert-

On Apr 14, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone that has played with integrating a bar code reader with
> their web
> applications give me some pointers?
>
> With a bit of Googling it seems that it is not difficult to have the
> barcode
> read into a selected field on a form, but I would be keen to learn
> from your
> experiences and recommendations of things that are a must and things
> avoid.
>
> Thanks and very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

Brian K. Middendorf
On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Deco Rior (Tennissource) wrote:

> We have trouble with IE8 not recognizing a  change in state!

Seriously?

-brian.

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

decorior
When swiping a credit card the focus comes out of the text field after
the number is entered. The text field records a change in state and
this can be used to fire other methods.

However, IE 8 Changed some behavior with the way this works so that
the focus does not leave the input field.

We eventually worked a solution, but there is a difference in the way
the onchange event seems to fire between the browsers.

Not a huge deal, just caused some pain when IE 8 came out!

On Apr 14, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Brian K. Middendorf wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Deco Rior (Tennissource) wrote:
>
>> We have trouble with IE8 not recognizing a  change in state!
>

> Seriously?
>
> -brian.

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

Rick Draper-2
Thanks to all who replied.

I will be doing some experimentation with a reader and will post any tricks
I am able to implement, but apart from using JavaScript to set the focus, I
think this will be a fairly straight forward hit the Enter/Return key after
scanning the barcode.  I did read something in one barcode scanner about
being able to automate processes, such as sending an Enter key stroke
automatically after each valid scan... Might be interesting.

Very best regards,

Rick

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/ Search

Re: Bar Cade Reader Integration

decorior
We use barcodes for inventory control and customer checkin and
magnetic stripes for point-of-sale transactions. It works very reliably.

We recommend a Metrologic Voyager for the barcode scanner. It will
automatically senses a barcode and read it.  It can be programmed to
support almost any 1D barcode format.

For customer checkin we use one of the more expensive heavy duty MSR's.

Deco