Apple Developer hardware discounts

James Harvard
Anyone know how I find out what level of discount to expect on a new PowerBook from ADC membership? (Couldn't see a figure on the Apple web site.)

TIA,
James Harvard

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Clive Bruton

On 8 Aug 2005, at 15:23, James Harvard wrote:

> Anyone know how I find out what level of discount to expect on a
> new PowerBook from ADC membership? (Couldn't see a figure on the
> Apple web site.)

They don't publish figures, you have to call them.

-- Clive

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Mark Palmer
James,

I'd be interested to know what they say. I have just popped into the
Birmingham Apple store to ask the same question about the same hardware and
they didn't know. In fact they even said they couldn't process and ADC
discounted order in the store and it would have to be done on the web.

I'm slightly unsure about getting a PowerBook at the moment however as the
law of s*d says Apple will release a new dual core PPC machine just after
I've finished my install. :)

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

> From: James Harvard <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:23:39 +0100
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Apple Developer hardware discounts
>
> Anyone know how I find out what level of discount to expect on a new PowerBook
> from ADC membership? (Couldn't see a figure on the Apple web site.)
>
> TIA,
> James Harvard

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

m i l e s
Mark,

I think you're right on the money on that one....

I bought my PB about 4 months ago (17in) and I love it.  However,
Apple has been rather clear that
two things are not going to happen until the INTEL switch over.

a.) a G5 in a PB form factor.
b.) a dual core PB for the same reasons.

H E A T!

That thing will FRY eggs literally.

And seein as how the intel switch over isn't gonna happen for at
least a year, I think you can safely make that purchase of a new PB.

Just my .02 cents.

M i l e s.

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

At the moment, the online Apple store has some really good deals on refurbs, which are as good as new, IMO, but cost a lot less:
<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70203/wo/v16ZrYUgX3fb2SLkqbo1DJ0f9GP/0.0.11.1.0.6.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?57,64>

--steve

On Monday, August 8, 2005, [hidden email] (Mark Palmer) pronounced:

>James,
>
>I'd be interested to know what they say. I have just popped into the
>Birmingham Apple store to ask the same question about the same hardware and
>they didn't know. In fact they even said they couldn't process and ADC
>discounted order in the store and it would have to be done on the web.
>
>I'm slightly unsure about getting a PowerBook at the moment however as the
>law of s*d says Apple will release a new dual core PPC machine just after
>I've finished my install. :)
>
>Regards
>

>Mark Palmer, Pageworks
>
>T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
>E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk
>

>> From: James Harvard <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:23:39 +0100
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Apple Developer hardware discounts
>>
>> Anyone know how I find out what level of discount to expect on a new PowerBook
>> from ADC membership? (Couldn't see a figure on the Apple web site.)
>>
>> TIA,
>> James Harvard

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Clint Roberts
Then please buy and install now... Would love to get that machine ASAP. :-)

Clint

On 8/8/05 1:27 PM, "Mark Palmer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James,
>
> I'd be interested to know what they say. I have just popped into the
> Birmingham Apple store to ask the same question about the same hardware and
> they didn't know. In fact they even said they couldn't process and ADC
> discounted order in the store and it would have to be done on the web.
>
> I'm slightly unsure about getting a PowerBook at the moment however as the
> law of s*d says Apple will release a new dual core PPC machine just after
> I've finished my install. :)
>
> Regards
>

> Mark Palmer, Pageworks
>
> T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
> E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk
>

>> From: James Harvard <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:23:39 +0100
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Apple Developer hardware discounts
>>
>> Anyone know how I find out what level of discount to expect on a new
>> PowerBook
>> from ADC membership? (Couldn't see a figure on the Apple web site.)
>>
>> TIA,
>> James Harvard

Clint Roberts
Manager of Information Systems
BOSS Staffing

[hidden email]
http://www.bossstaffing.com/
Phone: (301) 656-6284 x109
Cell:  (240) 476-3724
Washington DC, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Richmond

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

James Harvard
According to a chap at the Apple Store call-centre it's a 20% discount, so it wasn't worth it for a 12" PowerBook.

>I'd be interested to know what they say. I have just popped into the
>Birmingham Apple store to ask the same question about the same hardware and
>they didn't know. In fact they even said they couldn't process and ADC
>discounted order in the store and it would have to be done on the web.
>
>I'm slightly unsure about getting a PowerBook at the moment however as the
>law of s*d says Apple will release a new dual core PPC machine just after
>I've finished my install. :)

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Mark Palmer
Miles,

Didn't I read something recently about a IBM dual core chip and/or a low
power single core chip that had very low power requirements? The rumour mill
or course goes completely mad about these announcements, and so I gave up
trying to make sense of the likelihood of Apple using it in a laptop.

I have to say the current spec of the 15" PowerBook would probably suit me
just fine, but if there's something new just around the corner - well you
know how it is. Steve Jobs did say there was exiting stuff still to come
before the Intel chips.

I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to decide. :)

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

> From: m i l e s <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:07:44 -0700
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts
>
> Mark,
>
> I think you're right on the money on that one....
>
> I bought my PB about 4 months ago (17in) and I love it.  However,
> Apple has been rather clear that
> two things are not going to happen until the INTEL switch over.
>
> a.) a G5 in a PB form factor.
> b.) a dual core PB for the same reasons.
>
> H E A T!
>
> That thing will FRY eggs literally.
>
> And seein as how the intel switch over isn't gonna happen for at
> least a year, I think you can safely make that purchase of a new PB.
>
> Just my .02 cents.
>
> M i l e s.

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

m i l e s
Mark,

I hear ya baby.  However I'll be first in line, respectively
speaking, for a new machine when it comes out....SPEED SPEED
SPEED...at this point Im actually topping out my machine.

I need something with a bit more OOOOMPH!

M i l e s.

On 8 Aug 2005, at 19:07, m i l e s wrote:

> However, Apple has been rather clear that
> two things are not going to happen until the INTEL switch over.

Really? I just saw they said they are going to switch to Intel chips
gradually over the next two years, not specifics at all.

-- Clive

On 8 Aug 2005, at 20:29, Mark Palmer wrote:

> I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to
> decide. :)

Apple Expo Paris coming up, so probably worth waiting until then.

-- Clive

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Greg Willits-2
On Aug 8, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Mark Palmer wrote:

> I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to
> decide. :)

Because I'm feeling philosophical this morning....

The longer you wait, the sooner it will be after your purchase that
new stuff will come out -- so the longer you wait the more annoyed
you'll be with what you bought :-)

What will a new machine likely have? Another couple hundred Mhz? Some
new I/O technology or format? Are we expecting anything really new or
different? I'd say screen sizes are locked in. I/O is probably locked
in for a while yet. Any new wireless stuff coming?

Is another .2 or .3 Ghz really going to change your productivity?
When I did a lot of DTP and media work, every processor bump had a
measurable impact on getting more work done. Now... it doesn't really
matter. I switched from a dual 867 G4 to a single 1.6 Ghz G5 (it's a
hand me down from my son so he could get dual 2Ghz for faster
compiling, and I could have a box that had more RAM). Didn't notice
much of a difference to my daily routine (some menus and apps open
faster now, but it mostly still waits for me to type). What did help
was the 4GB of RAM so I could leave dev apps and all my browsers open
including 3 VPC machines for testing--now that's useful!

If you can wait till September, then why not October? November? If
you can wait at all, you may as well wait right up to when the new
stuff actually does come out. If you can't wait till then, then why
put it off a few arbitrary weeks? If a new machine is being
considered to improve your work flow, then I say go get it now and
start enjoying that right away.

My philosophy on computers and related stuff is "Don't buy more than
you need, and buy what you need as soon as you need it."

OK, philosophical quota filled, back to work...

-- greg

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Mark Palmer
Greg,

Your absolutely right of course. But you know how it is with new gadgets...

The reason I can wait is I that will need a machine to take on holiday in
late September - my development is done on a desktop G5 - as I may have to
do some work in between beers...

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

> From: Greg Willits <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:51:53 -0700
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts
>
> On Aug 8, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Mark Palmer wrote:
>
>> I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to
>> decide. :)
>
> Because I'm feeling philosophical this morning....
>
> The longer you wait, the sooner it will be after your purchase that
> new stuff will come out -- so the longer you wait the more annoyed
> you'll be with what you bought :-)
>
> What will a new machine likely have? Another couple hundred Mhz? Some
> new I/O technology or format? Are we expecting anything really new or
> different? I'd say screen sizes are locked in. I/O is probably locked
> in for a while yet. Any new wireless stuff coming?
>
> Is another .2 or .3 Ghz really going to change your productivity?
> When I did a lot of DTP and media work, every processor bump had a
> measurable impact on getting more work done. Now... it doesn't really
> matter. I switched from a dual 867 G4 to a single 1.6 Ghz G5 (it's a
> hand me down from my son so he could get dual 2Ghz for faster
> compiling, and I could have a box that had more RAM). Didn't notice
> much of a difference to my daily routine (some menus and apps open
> faster now, but it mostly still waits for me to type). What did help
> was the 4GB of RAM so I could leave dev apps and all my browsers open
> including 3 VPC machines for testing--now that's useful!
>
> If you can wait till September, then why not October? November? If
> you can wait at all, you may as well wait right up to when the new
> stuff actually does come out. If you can't wait till then, then why
> put it off a few arbitrary weeks? If a new machine is being
> considered to improve your work flow, then I say go get it now and
> start enjoying that right away.
>
> My philosophy on computers and related stuff is "Don't buy more than
> you need, and buy what you need as soon as you need it."
>
> OK, philosophical quota filled, back to work...
>
> -- greg

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Hans de Wit
This proves true, time and time again. There is always something on the
horizon, and a lot is just promises. Buy what you need when you need it
and the next day put it in the past. What was, is what was and what is,
is what is. Applies to both hardware and software.

Hans

Greg Willits wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Mark Palmer wrote:
>
>> I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to  decide. :)
>

> My philosophy on computers and related stuff is "Don't buy more than
> you need, and buy what you need as soon as you need it."
>

> -- greg

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Mark Kawakami
My philosophy is buy it, then don't look at a computer ad for the
next six months. Cover your eyes when you drive by the Fry's.

-Mark

On Aug 8, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Hans de Wit wrote:

> This proves true, time and time again. There is always something on
> the horizon, and a lot is just promises. Buy what you need when you
> need it and the next day put it in the past. What was, is what was
> and what is, is what is. Applies to both hardware and software.
>
> Hans
>

> Greg Willits wrote:
>

>> On Aug 8, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Mark Palmer wrote:
>>

>>> I can just about hang out until Mid September then I have to
>>> decide. :)
>>>

>> My philosophy on computers and related stuff is "Don't buy more
>> than  you need, and buy what you need as soon as you need it."
>>

>> -- greg

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

m i l e s
Mark,

 >My philosophy is buy it, then don't look at a
 >computer ad for the next six months. Cover your
 >eyes when you drive by the Fry's.

Right on baby....Right after I coughed up...I couldn't bear to look
at an ad for the 17in.

I say just buy the damned thing, and besides if you buy now, you wont
be caught in that last minute crunch to get it all set up the way you
want RIGHT before leave....

M i l e s.

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Wade Maxfield
>Greg,
>
>Your absolutely right of course. But you know how it is with new gadgets...
>
>The reason I can wait is I that will need a machine to take on holiday in
>late September - my development is done on a desktop G5 - as I may have to
>do some work in between beers...
>
>Regards
>
>Mark Palmer, Pageworks

Just to chime in for the sake of it, buy now.

If you wait until Sept - 20th at the earliest -  and something is
announced (which will be speed bumped at the most) you'll still have
to wait til Oct/Nov before it's actually available.  So in order to
have something to take on the trip you'll have to buy what will now
be last years model. And that is as much of a kick in the teeth for
gadget freak as having something new announced just after you've
bought.

Mos'well get it now, setup, and get all the teething issues out of
the way before you go...

  - Wade

At 12:36 pm -0700 8/8/05, m i l e s wrote:
>I hear ya baby.  However I'll be first in line, respectively speaking, for a new machine when it comes out....SPEED SPEED SPEED...at this point Im actually topping out my machine.

Assume you're talking about the same machine here. Is the processor definitely the bottleneck? The PowerBooks come with 5400 rpm hard discs, which is not that fast. You can get 7200 rpm discs suitable for PBs, I believe, which might give you a speed boost. If you're using memory-hungry apps then the operating system might be hitting the disc a lot for virtual memory.

James

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

m i l e s
James,

Been trying for two weeks straight to get my hands on a 60GB E7K60
Hitachi Drive....
Either no one has them in stock or they're over priced.  Waiting for
the 100GB drives
is just right out of the picture at this point....

M i l e s.

Re: Apple Developer hardware discounts

Paul Melia
FYI for those interested. This is from the think secret web site on
8/5/05 -> http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508retail.html

" Customers who purchase any Apple-branded product up to 14 days
previous to a downward price adjustment can also receive the balance
of the two prices by visiting the store within two weeks of the new
price going into effect and bringing their receipt with them."

So you might not get the new machine with the .5 MHGz bump and the
50GB hard drive bump but you can get the difference in cash as they
reduce the price of the machine you paid $XX for just before the new
one rolled out. I guess that could soften the blow slightly.

FWIW,
Paul