Alternative to Server_Push

rdwyer
We use Server_Push to send reports dynamically created reports off to
customers.  The data in the reports consists of 10 fields of data
from a mysql table pulled with an Inline:  -Search.  When the record
count gets up around 10K or more, the load on Lasso (LP7.1.3) seems
quite high and the user needs to wait a while before they begin to
download the report.

Two alternatives come to mind in File_Serve and File_Stream.
I thought I could place the contents of the search inside an array
and then send that as a report.  However, I tried this with
File_serve and only got a small portion of the file each time.
Can either File_Serve or File_Stream be used to send dynamic data off
to the end user with less of a load on CPU and Memory than Server_Push?

Thanks.
Rick

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Alternative to Server_Push

Adam Randall-4
Server_Push is used in both File_Serve and File_Stream, but it's not
your problem. The problem is that lasso is reading too much
information at a time, and thus is probably hitting it's memory
limit. What you can do is an incremental -search, where you basically
pull 100 records at a time from mysql, so as to not overload how much
data lasso needs to juggle at any one time.

Alternatives using File_Stream and File_Serve will not solve the
overall problem, which is the data generation.

Adam.

On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> We use Server_Push to send reports dynamically created reports off
> to customers.  The data in the reports consists of 10 fields of
> data from a mysql table pulled with an Inline:  -Search.  When the
> record count gets up around 10K or more, the load on Lasso
> (LP7.1.3) seems quite high and the user needs to wait a while
> before they begin to download the report.
>
> Two alternatives come to mind in File_Serve and File_Stream.
> I thought I could place the contents of the search inside an array
> and then send that as a report.  However, I tried this with
> File_serve and only got a small portion of the file each time.
> Can either File_Serve or File_Stream be used to send dynamic data
> off to the end user with less of a load on CPU and Memory than
> Server_Push?
>
> Thanks.
> Rick
>

> ------------------------------
> LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
> Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
> 2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker
> data on the web.
> http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect
Stork Avenue, Inc.
http://www.storkavenue.com
(800) 861-5437 x137

------------------------------

On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Adam Randall wrote:

> The problem is that lasso is reading too much information at a
> time, and thus is probably hitting it's memory limit.

Reading too much information... you mean too much information for
lasso when used in conjunction with Server_Push...correct?  I can do
the same search just displaying the data with virtually no load on
Lasso.  Therefore it's the -Search combined with streaming the file
that is causing the load if I understand you correctly.

> What you can do is an incremental -search, where you basically pull
> 100 records at a time from mysql, so as to not overload how much
> data lasso needs to juggle at any one time.

OK, I assume however this can be done so the end result is that what
the end user has sent to them is one file and not multiple batches of
100 or so records...correct?
Thanks Adam.
Rick

------------------------------
LASSO MASTER CLASS - Orlando, FL
Following the FileMaker Developer Conference
2 Day intensive seminar: Learn the best way to get your FileMaker data on the web.
http://www.briandunning.com/lasso-training/

Re: Alternative to Server_Push

Johan Solve
On 8/17/06, Rick Dwyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We use Server_Push to send reports dynamically created reports off to
> customers.  The data in the reports consists of 10 fields of data
> from a mysql table pulled with an Inline:  -Search.

Lasso's page buffer isn't updated inside a looping container tag such
as the [records]...[/records] loop, so server_push has nothing to
"push out" until the entire record set has been processed. This kind
of defeats the use of server_push and that's probably why it takes a
while before the download begins.

What you need to do is write the record data directly to the page
buffer inside the records loop so server_push has something to work
on, and clear the page buffer again right after server_push. This is
exactly how the file_stream tag works.

records;
$__html_reply__ += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is
added to page buffer
server_push; // record data is pushed to browser
$__html_reply__ = '' // clear the page buffer after push to start
fresh for the next record
/records;

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer

Re: Alternative to Server_Push

Bil Corry-3
Johan Solve wrote:
> records;
> $__html_reply__ += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is
> added to page buffer

Just a heads up, in LP8.5, $__html_reply__ is accessed via [content_body]

  <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_body>

For example:

  records;
    content_body += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is added to page buffer
    // etc...

And FWIW, [content_header] is the replacement for $__http_header__:

  <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_header>

Re: Alternative to Server_Push

Steffan A. Cline
Has $__html_reply__ been completely removed? I ask because I used it heavily
in my tag sets and will need to redo them all! >:(

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Bil Corry <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:46:16 -0700
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Alternative to Server_Push
>
> Johan Solve wrote:
>> records;
>> $__html_reply__ += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is
>> added to page buffer
>
> Just a heads up, in LP8.5, $__html_reply__ is accessed via [content_body]
>
>   <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_body>
>

> For example:
>
>   records;
>     content_body += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is added to
> page buffer
>     // etc...
>

> And FWIW, [content_header] is the replacement for $__http_header__:
>
>   <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_header>
>

> - Bil

Re: Alternative to Server_Push

jasonhuck
Nope, it's still there. The new tags are just pointers to the old variables.

On 8/23/06, Steffan A. Cline <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has $__html_reply__ been completely removed? I ask because I used it heavily
> in my tag sets and will need to redo them all! >:(
>

> Thanks
>
> Steffan

> T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
> Steffan A. Cline
> [hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
> http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
> AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
>                                   Lasso Partner Alliance Member
>

> > From: Bil Corry <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:46:16 -0700
> > To: <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: Alternative to Server_Push
> >
> > Johan Solve wrote:
> >> records;
> >> $__html_reply__ += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is
> >> added to page buffer
> >
> > Just a heads up, in LP8.5, $__html_reply__ is accessed via [content_body]
> >
> >   <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_body>
> >

> > For example:
> >
> >   records;
> >     content_body += (field: 'field1') + ...;  // all record data is added to
> > page buffer
> >     // etc...
> >

> > And FWIW, [content_header] is the replacement for $__http_header__:
> >
> >   <http://reference.omnipilot.com/Reference.LassoApp?content_header>
> >

> > - Bil

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/