About to renew my FMS license...

Keith M. Rettig
I am still on FMS16.  I have Lasso 9.3.x with Apache on a few Macs.

About to upgrade to FMS17 (my yearly contract ends next month)…
How does Lasso count towards the user count?  Does it also count towards the Data API limits (2 gb per user per year)?

Anything else I should be worrying about?  Or can I upgrade with joy?

Keith.

Re: About to renew my FMS license...

maxwellk2
Hi Keith,

FileMaker has changed their licensing structure AGAIN, but thankfully it doesn't affect Lasso. If you have an annual contract it should be a pretty easy transition to get the new license. A benefits to the annual license is that you are allowed to install FileMaker Server on up to three systems, including FileMaker Cloud.

You'll still be using CWP/WPE/XML under 17 with Lasso, however, FileMaker has removed the these settings from the Admin Console. I've chatted with the people at FileMaker, and though these settings have been removed XML is not yet slated for depreciation. Here's a guid to get it working…

        http://docs.360works.com/index.php/Enable_XML_FileMaker_17

XML connections do not apply to the user connection limits or the Data API limits.

The Data API is pretty cool though, it's a ground-up build of a proper REST API that speaks JSON. The usage limits are kind of lame, though it shouldn't affect most use cases, if it did you'd probably want to use a better transactional datasource anyway. I don't think LassoSoft has any interest in further developing Lasso, but it would be amazing if we got a FileMaker Data API connector, which would open the door to using FileMaker Cloud.

Anyway, hope that helps.

-Max