[ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
139 messages Options
1234567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Trevor Borgmeier
I agree, this is basically the biggest hurdle for me too. I think the
people here see the value of lasso and are willing to pay for it, but
the cost is a hurdle for getting new developers and that becomes a
hurdle for existing developers. I'm willing to pay for it, but for it to
be successful in my book it needs to gain traction among developers and
gain some market share from PHP/Ruby/Python etc.  In my opinion what it
needs are these:

Get Flushed out
1. It needs to be free.
2. It needs to be easy to install and have good cross platform support
3. It needs good docs
4. test, kill bugs, repeat

once those are in place it needs..
5. a good marketing push ... contact major tech blog writers? magazines?
things to get non-lasso geeks talking about it.

The important thing, I think, is to not do #4 prematurely. Dot your i's,
cross your t's ... and don't forget to dot your j's to.  it's a minor
detail, but everyone always forgets that.

I think the original LS folks were doing a great job and pushing in many
of the right directions until they ran out of gas.  I think the biggest
and most difficult piece is in #1.  But I think it's critical, but it's
a difficult/different business model.  I would see Tree Frog playing a
sort of Zend role for PHP and trying to sell an officially supported
framework/CMS system like LEAP and that being the revenue source,
offering support services, etc.

With any language or UI it's easy to get trapped into the the comforts
of familiarity to the point that leaving to a better/easier system seems
difficult and daunting.  It takes time and energy to learn new things.  
This is why we've seen and/or been reluctant to change from webstar to
Apache, or Filemaker to MySQL through the years ... the same goes now...
upgrade to LP9? switch to another language?  The same goes for users of
other languages.  There will be resistance by the NeoLuddites® to move
from there language just as we have experienced... But for new
developers, and those that occasionally shop around to stay ahead of the
curve I think LP9 has immense potential ... The tags use consistent and
logical names rather than the sometimes cryptic and unguessable names
used by other languages (I'm looking at you, PHP)  OOP based language
(not just OOP capable, it's all OOP!) Anyway, no sense in highlighting
the benefits of LP9 to the choir, but if it is free and marketing can
get the word out, and developers take it for a real drive I think it
could really take off.

I'm optimistic as Lasso has never looked as good as it does in LP9, but
I thought that over a year ago in Amsterdam... I don't see myself
leaving lasso all at once and I hope I don't at all, but if I do it will
be because it isn't gaining traction.  And, honestly, if it isn't free
I'll likely leave a lot sooner simply because my confidence in it
getting wide-spread use is drastically decreased despite me seeing the
value of it and being willing to pay for it.

I've had a good, long standing, repeat client demand that all new
sites/projects be done in PHP. It was an ultimatum, but it was good in
that I was already feeling a need to build myself a sort of safety net
by building proficiency in another language so I could meet tight
deadlines while maintaining some degree of sanity using a language that
is newer to me.  The client is confident in me, trusts me and my ability
to get their needs met 100% percent -- the issue was entirely with
Lasso.  Using the popular car analogy, they worried about getting parts
and finding a mechanic if something should happen to me.  In a nutshell,
I can sell me, but I don't like having to sell the tools that I use to
the clients that have opinions on such matters.  I can argue a great
number of reasons and benefits of lasso, but ultimately it doesn't
matter because their concern is literally beyond me.

I really don't want to be a jack-of-all-languages master-of-none sort of
person here, I want to stick with one primary language as much as
possible and I want it to be Lasso and for that to happen it needs a
larger user base.  You get people using it and hosting providers will come.

-Trevor





on 12/7/10 9:42 AM Brad Duncan wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have been following this thread since the announcement last Friday and it
> seems to me, that after the initial WHEW! and cheers for Tree Frog from the
> developers, we have taken a breath and now face the reality of what's still
> in front of us.
>
> Personally, here are the 2 main problems I face from a marketing standpoint:
> 1. I lose jobs/projects to PHP because of the supply and demand of
> developers, period. If my project buyer is considering the hit-by-bus
> scenario or otherwise factors into the decision that I might have to be
> replaced someday, there are simply more PHP developers available to draw
> from the pool. If they think that it will be difficult to find a
> replacement, they will opt for the "safer" choice.
> 2. I lose jobs/prospects to PHP because the hosting options are limited. PHP
> is virtually everywhere (Free). For a Lasso site you can either: host it
> yourself internally, pay for a dedicated hosted server (more $), or try to
> find a Lasso Hosting Partner. Again, the project buyer will often take the
> "safe" option where they have more choices and will not feel like a hostage
> to a single entity.
>
> I am not saying these problems always exist on every project, but enough
> times to make me second-guess myself on the web platform I have chosen to
> develop on. I would suspect that others have already stopped doing that and
> have already switched languages.
>
>
> For me as a Lasso developer, I don't think price is an issue. I am willing
> to pay for a STABLE, SECURE and DOCUMENTED toolset. Open source solutions
> have their own basket of problems inherent in not having a single entity
> overseeing the language. I can always build-in the cost of the software into
> the budget of a project, it's not THAT expensive.
>
> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
> first started using Lasso in the first place. I understand that FileMaker
> has since built PHP into its engines and perhaps turned its back on Lasso,
> but I would like to see that marriage rekindled. I do use MySql as well, but
> my project buyers are often FileMaker users first, and they are unaware of
> Lasso and think built-in PHP is the only option.
>
> Thank you for listening. Long Live Lasso!
>
> Brad Duncan
> Sunray Data Solutions
> St. Petersburg FL
>
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>    the mailing list<[hidden email]>.
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to:<[hidden email]>
> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to<[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to<[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to<[hidden email]>
>
>


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Trevor Borgmeier
Correction, I meant not do #5 prematurely...

on 12/7/10 11:11 AM Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> I agree, this is basically the biggest hurdle for me too. I think the
> people here see the value of lasso and are willing to pay for it, but
> the cost is a hurdle for getting new developers and that becomes a
> hurdle for existing developers. I'm willing to pay for it, but for it
> to be successful in my book it needs to gain traction among developers
> and gain some market share from PHP/Ruby/Python etc.  In my opinion
> what it needs are these:
>
> Get Flushed out
> 1. It needs to be free.
> 2. It needs to be easy to install and have good cross platform support
> 3. It needs good docs
> 4. test, kill bugs, repeat
>
> once those are in place it needs..
> 5. a good marketing push ... contact major tech blog writers?
> magazines? things to get non-lasso geeks talking about it.
>
> The important thing, I think, is to not do #5 [edited] prematurely.
> Dot your i's, cross your t's ... and don't forget to dot your j's to.  
> it's a minor detail, but everyone always forgets that.
>
> I think the original LS folks were doing a great job and pushing in
> many of the right directions until they ran out of gas.  I think the
> biggest and most difficult piece is in #1.  But I think it's critical,
> but it's a difficult/different business model.  I would see Tree Frog
> playing a sort of Zend role for PHP and trying to sell an officially
> supported framework/CMS system like LEAP and that being the revenue
> source, offering support services, etc.
>
> With any language or UI it's easy to get trapped into the the comforts
> of familiarity to the point that leaving to a better/easier system
> seems difficult and daunting.  It takes time and energy to learn new
> things.  This is why we've seen and/or been reluctant to change from
> webstar to Apache, or Filemaker to MySQL through the years ... the
> same goes now... upgrade to LP9? switch to another language?  The same
> goes for users of other languages.  There will be resistance by the
> NeoLuddites® to move from there language just as we have
> experienced... But for new developers, and those that occasionally
> shop around to stay ahead of the curve I think LP9 has immense
> potential ... The tags use consistent and logical names rather than
> the sometimes cryptic and unguessable names used by other languages
> (I'm looking at you, PHP)  OOP based language (not just OOP capable,
> it's all OOP!) Anyway, no sense in highlighting the benefits of LP9 to
> the choir, but if it is free and marketing can get the word out, and
> developers take it for a real drive I think it could really take off.
>
> I'm optimistic as Lasso has never looked as good as it does in LP9,
> but I thought that over a year ago in Amsterdam... I don't see myself
> leaving lasso all at once and I hope I don't at all, but if I do it
> will be because it isn't gaining traction.  And, honestly, if it isn't
> free I'll likely leave a lot sooner simply because my confidence in it
> getting wide-spread use is drastically decreased despite me seeing the
> value of it and being willing to pay for it.
>
> I've had a good, long standing, repeat client demand that all new
> sites/projects be done in PHP. It was an ultimatum, but it was good in
> that I was already feeling a need to build myself a sort of safety net
> by building proficiency in another language so I could meet tight
> deadlines while maintaining some degree of sanity using a language
> that is newer to me.  The client is confident in me, trusts me and my
> ability to get their needs met 100% percent -- the issue was entirely
> with Lasso.  Using the popular car analogy, they worried about getting
> parts and finding a mechanic if something should happen to me.  In a
> nutshell, I can sell me, but I don't like having to sell the tools
> that I use to the clients that have opinions on such matters.  I can
> argue a great number of reasons and benefits of lasso, but ultimately
> it doesn't matter because their concern is literally beyond me.
>
> I really don't want to be a jack-of-all-languages master-of-none sort
> of person here, I want to stick with one primary language as much as
> possible and I want it to be Lasso and for that to happen it needs a
> larger user base.  You get people using it and hosting providers will
> come.
>
> -Trevor
>
>
>
>
>
> on 12/7/10 9:42 AM Brad Duncan wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I have been following this thread since the announcement last Friday
>> and it
>> seems to me, that after the initial WHEW! and cheers for Tree Frog
>> from the
>> developers, we have taken a breath and now face the reality of what's
>> still
>> in front of us.
>>
>> Personally, here are the 2 main problems I face from a marketing
>> standpoint:
>> 1. I lose jobs/projects to PHP because of the supply and demand of
>> developers, period. If my project buyer is considering the hit-by-bus
>> scenario or otherwise factors into the decision that I might have to be
>> replaced someday, there are simply more PHP developers available to draw
>> from the pool. If they think that it will be difficult to find a
>> replacement, they will opt for the "safer" choice.
>> 2. I lose jobs/prospects to PHP because the hosting options are
>> limited. PHP
>> is virtually everywhere (Free). For a Lasso site you can either: host it
>> yourself internally, pay for a dedicated hosted server (more $), or
>> try to
>> find a Lasso Hosting Partner. Again, the project buyer will often
>> take the
>> "safe" option where they have more choices and will not feel like a
>> hostage
>> to a single entity.
>>
>> I am not saying these problems always exist on every project, but enough
>> times to make me second-guess myself on the web platform I have
>> chosen to
>> develop on. I would suspect that others have already stopped doing
>> that and
>> have already switched languages.
>>
>>
>> For me as a Lasso developer, I don't think price is an issue. I am
>> willing
>> to pay for a STABLE, SECURE and DOCUMENTED toolset. Open source
>> solutions
>> have their own basket of problems inherent in not having a single entity
>> overseeing the language. I can always build-in the cost of the
>> software into
>> the budget of a project, it's not THAT expensive.
>>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the
>> reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place. I understand that
>> FileMaker
>> has since built PHP into its engines and perhaps turned its back on
>> Lasso,
>> but I would like to see that marriage rekindled. I do use MySql as
>> well, but
>> my project buyers are often FileMaker users first, and they are
>> unaware of
>> Lasso and think built-in PHP is the only option.
>>
>> Thank you for listening. Long Live Lasso!
>>
>> Brad Duncan
>> Sunray Data Solutions
>> St. Petersburg FL
>>
>>
>> #############################################################
>> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>>    the mailing list<[hidden email]>.
>> To unsubscribe, E-mail to:<[hidden email]>
>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail
>> to<[hidden email]>
>> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to<[hidden email]>
>> Send administrative queries to<[hidden email]>
>>
>>
>
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
> <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to <[hidden email]>
>
>


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

John May-2
In reply to this post by Chris Corwin
On 12/7/10 10:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>
>
> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02
>


Plenty of FileMaker over here =)  And a surprising (though certainly not
overwhelming) number use Lasso with it still instead of PHP.

Another thought - FileMaker folks are already used to paying money for
quality (in the form of the GUI mostly, mind you), and hence selling
them on Lasso is going to be considerably easier than selling MySQL
folks on it.

        - John

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Jonathan Guthrie-5
In reply to this post by Trevor Borgmeier
On 2010-12-07, at 12:11 PM, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> (not just OOP capable, it's all OOP!)


Trevor, you just hit the nail on the head as to why I love Lasso 9 ...

It's not just that it "can do" OOP,
it *is* OOP at it's core,
and does it elegantly IMHO.





Jonathan Guthrie
Software Development Manager

Treefrog Interactive Inc.
www.treefrog.ca
[hidden email]


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

decorior
In reply to this post by Sean Stephens-2
Hi!

Great news all around!

First a little perspective from where we are coming from:

We primarily run SAAS with a code base that has evolved on Lasso over 10 years.

From a product point of view:

1. The release of a more stable version of Lasso i.e. 8.7 would be welcome. We have worked around some of the issues, but we always feel on the edge!

2. I have changed my mind on backwards compatibility. I disagree with this being a high priority. I think that the best way is to let Lasso 8 and 9 play nice together. A while ago I was helped with the way to do this. Essentially, we "faked sessions" to pass information between the two. This was ideal since it allowed:

        1. Lasso 9 development to start that had some value
        2. To replace areas of the Lasso 8 code that would take advantage of speed and stability improvements in Lasso 9
        3. Allowed us to start migrating the code without the need for a major rewrite

We would like to see Lasso 9 read Lasso 8 sessions and/or vice versa. We are not requiring the same syntax. For example, session8_start could read lasso 8 sessions in Lasso 9. The main issue here is to see if we can use in-memory sessions.

This single ability has essentially stopped us from migrating to Rails.

(Note: Twitter was used as an example on an earlier post. They have RECENTLY done the same thing with Rails for the slow stuff, and Scala for the fast stuff).

________________________

Marketing Strategy!

The best example I can think of as a model was mySQL. Essentially their strategy was to build a bunch of really cool paid supporting apps for their "free" product. I think there is a real need to create a truly great "zero to hero" solution. Rails comes close but starts to fail on the deployment side and with scalability.

Basically as my solution grows I am looking for a way to handle performance, deployment, etc. and would be willing to invest in infrastructure services.

So here are some suggestions for "supporting paid apps:"

1. Testing Solution
2. Production Monitoring
3. Multi-server (e.g like sessions today)
4. Load balancing
5. Ease of deployment integration
6. Profiling
7. RapidWeaver Integration
8. Zero downtime version updating


Etc....

Some of these might depend on other cloud services, but making it essentially zero configuration would be cool.


Deco







#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Clive Bruton
In reply to this post by Neil Enock

On 7 Dec 2010, at 16:20, Neil Enock wrote:

> Like most of the people on the list I came to Lasso with Filemaker  
> to solve a problem. I did not hire a developer, I became one.

> I still think that a LassoLite product geared to Filemaker and  
> other non-developer users, (maybe 'self-develeoper' is a better  
> term), will be key to ANY growth for Lasso. Many of these 'self-
> developers' will eventually become Lasso Developers, (like most of  
> the people on this list did).

I don't know, but I tend towards thinking that that time has come and  
gone. I think someone else already pointed out, PHP is native to  
Filemaker these days, so it's going to be hard work to get them to  
move to something else to start off with. I think a lot of us started  
with web databases (Filemaker) and AppleScript because that's all we  
knew and there really wasn't that much choice. Lasso came along and  
we started along that path... now there are other choices (with  
Filemaker) that appear before your eyes, and divert you from even  
thinking about Lasso.


-- Clive

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Bil Corry-3
In reply to this post by stevepiercy
Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote on 12/5/2010 3:16 PM:
> On 12/5/10 at 9:17 PM, [hidden email] (Fabrizio Carioni) pronounced:
>> If this will be the way, I'm gone!
>> I could do with php what I now do in Lasso, very quickly, in my situation.
>> Don't need a partner. :-)
>
> There is a difference between a paid annual subscription and a paid upgrade that is released annually.  With the former, your license expires annually, whereas with the latter your current license continues to function and you may optionally pay for an upgrade.
>
> I think Bil was suggesting the latter.

Yes, and I was using the word 'annual' loosely -- my point was that Lasso can continue to be a product that is sold for its simplicity of use and so long as it generates revenue by releasing paid upgrades that are not spread four years apart, it should be viable for years to come (which Sean has already made clear).  I qualified it by saying the upgrades need to compelling; i.e. not 'fluff' or whatever word was used elsewhere in this thread.

I just don't see the above model as growth model, mostly because that's been the model for years and I don't see a lot of growth.  My preference would be to either decide to be a niche product that focuses on ease and simplicity - OR - focus on a model that supports growth.  But let's let go of the idea that the current model is only lacking good PR/marketing and will blow up big.


- Bil

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Bil Corry-3
In reply to this post by Petrus Näslund-3
Petrus Näslund wrote on 12/6/2010 4:32 AM:
> I believe that the new LassoSoft company should focus on what makes
> the developer fly, the best IDE tool on the market.

Speaking as someone who works at a company with thousands of developers, there isn't an IDE that is used predominately by any of them; even among developers that work with the same language, they don't all use the same IDE.

Bring it closer to Lasso, even when I headed up a small development group of five, there were five different IDEs used to code Lasso (I'm using IDE loosely here).  We didn't even all use the same platform.  Making sure the line endings were consistent and how many spaces a tab represents was a pain :)

My point: one person's "best IDE tool" is going to be hated by others (especially if the IDE is designed to be cross-platform -- if it doesn't follow Mac conventions, then the Mac users won't use it).  While there are IDEs available for other languages that I like, I won't switch to those languages because of the IDE.


- Bil

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Petrus Näslund-3
8 dec 2010 kl. 04.43 skrev Bil Corry:

> Petrus Näslund wrote on 12/6/2010 4:32 AM:
>> I believe that the new LassoSoft company should focus on what makes
>> the developer fly, the best IDE tool on the market.
>
> Bring it closer to Lasso, even when I headed up a small development group of five, there were five different IDEs used to code Lasso (I'm using IDE loosely here).  We didn't even all use the same platform.  Making sure the line endings were consistent and how many spaces a tab represents was a pain :)

I guess a very loose defintion of IDE :-)

> My point: one person's "best IDE tool" is going to be hated by others (especially if the IDE is designed to be cross-platform -- if it doesn't follow Mac conventions, then the Mac users won't use it).  While there are IDEs available for other languages that I like, I won't switch to those languages because of the IDE.


You wont switch because you've already invested time and knowledge in Lasso. Any newcomer looking at the language would probably be turned down at there not being even a single "real" IDE available to evaluate. I'm not saying that there only have to be one but at least one. If someone else wants to write another IDE then even better as  this will give even more momentum behind Lasso. Maybe there could be an api to hook in for handling debugging, compiling, deploying etc.

My believe is that LassoSoft should really pick up the pieces of what is left of LassoStudio and get it working again. This is the product I see companies being willing to pay (license or subscription) for as it brings them a direct visual value, compared to the server/language product itself which in my opinion will have to be free to gain any more market share outside of the already existing user base.

//petrus


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Stephen Smiroldo-4
+1 !!

Make LassoStudio Great! And make it a stand alone program as well as a simpler hook into existing dev platforms (like in the past with Dreamweaver or Eclipse).

Offer Lasso Server for free... or at least give a free, slightly restricted version (i.e. 5 or less lasso sites) with the capability to easily upgrade to "unlimited" if required for a price less than what it is now.

One other thing I would like to see with Lasso is plug-in functionality similar to WordPress. At least in terms of search/install/manage ease-of-use as well as an official developer portal to add/manage plug-ins and updates with analytics for the developer and maybe even a way to sell plug-ins similar to the App Store by Apple.

My two cents.

Stephen Smiroldo
http://studiothought.com


On Dec 8, 2010, at 3:10 AM, Petrus Näslund <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> My believe is that LassoSoft should really pick up the pieces of what is left of LassoStudio and get it working again. This is the product I see companies being willing to pay (license or subscription) for as it brings them a direct visual value, compared to the server/language product itself which in my opinion will have to be free to gain any more market share outside of the already existing user base.
>
> //petrus
>
>

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Steve Upton
In reply to this post by Sean Stephens-2

I hope, after the huge length of this thread, that you *are* still listening...

First, the acquisition is great news. Congratulations, we're behind you.

>
>- Great ideas you have for the Lasso product

Just a couple

- make a linux OS image with the current Lasso version installed. Then we could use it as a virtual machine in one of the virtual server services that are available. This would make evaluating L9 so much easier and could lead to easier scaling when needed.

- keep the core closed & open up the upper framework as much as possible. Then control the code contributions to keep it clean and reliable. One thing to learn from the past is that a small company can't do everything we all need. There are also some great users / coders who will create things you cannot possibly do.

>- Great ideas you have for the LassoSoft business

I think a rethink of the model is wise. Also, don't underestimate the willingness of users to support you. I paid for Lasso 9 a LONG time ago, have yet to use it, and would still, probably, pay for something to keep everything going.

The momentum of all the Lasso code out there is big. Allowing me to continue to use old code and work on new stuff rather than waste tons of time rewriting things is HUGE.

That's it, keep your stick on the ice, we're all pulling for you

regards,

Steve Upton

--


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Sean Stephens-2

> I hope, after the huge length of this thread, that you *are* still listening...

Definitely still listening - and thanks for more amazing feedback.

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

jasonhuck
In reply to this post by Steve Upton
> - make a linux OS image with the current Lasso version installed. Then we could use it as a virtual machine in one of the virtual server services that are available. This would make evaluating L9 so much easier and could lead to easier scaling when needed.

+1 for this. I think it would drive trial as well, if all a
prospective customer had to do was download that image and open it in
VMWare or similar, and have a complete dev environment ready to go.



> - keep the core closed & open up the upper framework as much as possible. Then control the code contributions to keep it clean and reliable. One thing to learn from the past is that a small company can't do everything we all need. There are also some great users / coders who will create things you cannot possibly do.

That's exactly what's already been done (so far) in Lasso 9. The core
is tiny; most of Lasso is now written *in Lasso* with source
accessible to all.



> The momentum of all the Lasso code out there is big. Allowing me to continue to use old code and work on new stuff rather than waste tons of time rewriting things is HUGE.

Agreed. Continuity and momentum, via backwards compatibility, are key
to adoption.


JLH

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Ke Carlton-3
On 9 December 2010 14:13, Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for this. I think it would drive trial as well, if all a
> prospective customer had to do was download that image and open it in
> VMWare or similar, and have a complete dev environment ready to go.

-1 for this.

Simply ensure Lasso is included in the default yum and rpm
repositories and works off a simple: yum install lasso

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

decorior
In reply to this post by jasonhuck
I think coexistence is more important than backwards compatibility

On Dec 9, 2010, at 7:13 AM, Jason Huck wrote:

> Agreed. Continuity and momentum, via backwards compatibility, are key
> to adoption.

Deco Rior
[hidden email]

O:(720) 207-2806
F:(303) 942-7417

TennisSource.Net
software to power your tennis facility


This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information.   Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message. Thank you


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

jasonhuck
In reply to this post by Ke Carlton-3
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Ke Carlton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9 December 2010 14:13, Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for this. I think it would drive trial as well, if all a
>> prospective customer had to do was download that image and open it in
>> VMWare or similar, and have a complete dev environment ready to go.
>
> -1 for this.
>
> Simply ensure Lasso is included in the default yum and rpm
> repositories and works off a simple: yum install lasso

+1 for that, too. :)

- jason

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

decorior
In reply to this post by Sean Stephens-2
Although it seems to be a minor issue, I would like to have the ability to turn off lasso square brackets on all pages.

We have been developing plugins for Rapid Weaver and the inability to do this makes lasso a non-starter to use.

Deco
On Dec 9, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Sean Stephens wrote:

>
>> I hope, after the huge length of this thread, that you *are* still listening...
>
> Definitely still listening - and thanks for more amazing feedback.
>
> Sean Stephens
> CEO
> LassoSoft Inc.
>
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
>  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>
>

Deco Rior
[hidden email]

O:(720) 207-2806
F:(303) 942-7417

TennisSource.Net
software to power your tennis facility


This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information.   Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message. Thank you


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Chris Wik-4
In reply to this post by Ke Carlton-3
On 09.12.2010, at 15:18, Ke Carlton wrote:

> On 9 December 2010 14:13, Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for this. I think it would drive trial as well, if all a
>> prospective customer had to do was download that image and open it in
>> VMWare or similar, and have a complete dev environment ready to go.
>
> -1 for this.
>
> Simply ensure Lasso is included in the default yum and rpm
> repositories and works off a simple: yum install lasso


My understanding of rpmforge, ATrpms, epel, etc, is that only free/open source software is accepted for inclusion.

So unless Lasso 9 becomes completely free/open source (doesn't seem likely right now, but who knows?), then it has no chance of being included.

That's not to say you can't have a one-line installer. For example, you could do

wget -q -O - http://www.lassosoft.com/centos_installer | sh

centos_installer would be a bash script that would set up the LassoSoft yum repo, import its GPG key, install Lasso, do any required configuration, etc. Super easy for the end user, just copy/paste one line, and could even be made to work with a variety of Linux flavours. IMHO this would be a better use of resources than providing pre-built VM images, which have a fairly limited target/application.

--
Chris Wik
Anu Internet Services Ltd


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Ke Carlton-3
+1

On 9 December 2010 14:32, Chris Wik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Super easy for the end user, just copy/paste one line, and could even be made to work with a variety of Linux flavours. IMHO this would be a better use of resources than providing pre-built VM images, which have a fairly limited target/application.
>
> --
> Chris Wik
> Anu Internet Services Ltd

#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Seth Ganahl
In reply to this post by Marc Pope-2
+1

Developers want to make money.


On 12/3/10 4:57 PM, "Marc Pope" <[hidden email]> did quoth:

> Job Opportunities

-------------------------------------------------------
Seth C. Ganahl  <[hidden email]>
<http://www.ganahlconsulting.com>
-------------------------------------------------------



#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[hidden email]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

1234567