[ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Marc Pope-2
Also when trying to comment, it always says there's an error when verifying you are human at the bottom while at the same time, says it accepted the comment pending admin approval.

-Marc

On Dec 6, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Marc Vos wrote:

> This voting site doesn't work. (http://listening.lassosoft.com/)
>
> I vote, add a comment, go back, votes gone. Start over, vote for many points, go away, come back, votes gone. Sidebar says 'Welcome Marc' and 'Update your password' and 'Logout'.
>
> Does this mean I can vote over and over again?
>
> - -
> Marc

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Hey Marc, if you're on AIM / iChat, can you get hold of me please? My AIM is "[hidden email]"

ta

On 2010-12-06, at 9:01 AM, Marc Vos wrote:

> This voting site doesn't work. (http://listening.lassosoft.com/)
>
> I vote, add a comment, go back, votes gone. Start over, vote for many points, go away, come back, votes gone. Sidebar says 'Welcome Marc' and 'Update your password' and 'Logout'.
>
> Does this mean I can vote over and over again?

Jono

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Clive Bruton

On 6 Dec 2010, at 10:53, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Although TF/LS folks will be listening, I reckon TF entered into
> the agreement to acquire LS where both have a business plan already
> in mind.  If there were no plan, then it's too late to start
> forming one now.

I think this is the problematic issue at the moment - we're trying to
debate something when we don't know the boundaries lay.

> Now let's assume LS does not release Lasso 9 as FOSS.  They could
> still create all those same products and services.

That's correct, but I think there's probably a much smaller market
for those services (ie the developer core now, not an expanded
community).

I find it hard to debate the pros and cons of unknown schemes, so I
think I'm going to concentrate on what I'm doing, and wait for things
to develop... as they inevitably will, with or without my input.

I think I don't want to appear on the top posters list at the end of
the month. :-/

-- Clive

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Ke Carlton-3
Is this just a result of how ajax behaves with the back button
(ignoring any dynamic updates to the page).

What happens if you reload the page? In theory all of your votes should appear.

Ke

On 6 December 2010 14:01, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I vote, add a comment, go back, votes gone. Start over, vote for many points, go away, come back, votes gone. Sidebar says 'Welcome Marc' and 'Update your password' and 'Logout'.
>
> Does this mean I can vote over and over again?
>
> Marc

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Jonathan Guthrie-3
If anyone else has this error can you let me know directly please?

FWIW, voting only gets counted one vote per user per issue, so if you change your vote it doesn't add a new vote, just changes your vote for that issue :)

Thanks

On 2010-12-06, at 9:15 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> Also when trying to comment, it always says there's an error when verifying you are human at the bottom while at the same time, says it accepted the comment pending admin approval.
>
> -Marc
>

> On Dec 6, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Marc Vos wrote:
>
>> This voting site doesn't work. (http://listening.lassosoft.com/)
>>
>> I vote, add a comment, go back, votes gone. Start over, vote for many points, go away, come back, votes gone. Sidebar says 'Welcome Marc' and 'Update your password' and 'Logout'.
>>
>> Does this mean I can vote over and over again?
>>
>> - -
>> Marc

Jono

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Marc Vos
Yep, that's it.

- -
Marc

On 6 dec 2010, at 16:01, Ke Carlton wrote:

> Is this just a result of how ajax behaves with the back button
> (ignoring any dynamic updates to the page).
>
> What happens if you reload the page? In theory all of your votes should appear.
>
> Ke
>
> On 6 December 2010 14:01, Marc Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I vote, add a comment, go back, votes gone. Start over, vote for many points, go away, come back, votes gone. Sidebar says 'Welcome Marc' and 'Update your password' and 'Logout'.
>>
>> Does this mean I can vote over and over again?
>>
>> Marc

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Marc Pinnell-3
+1 here. I think the memory issues in 8.5 have to be addressed. I
installed and started playing with 9 some time back before giving up on
it. I noticed the other day that it is using just as much memory as a
site in 8.5, hope this has been fixed since my early version was
installed. If not, it needs to be addressed as well.

marc

--
Marc Pinnell
1027 Design

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

SunrayData
Dear List,

I have been following this thread since the announcement last Friday and it
seems to me, that after the initial WHEW! and cheers for Tree Frog from the
developers, we have taken a breath and now face the reality of what's still
in front of us.

Personally, here are the 2 main problems I face from a marketing standpoint:
1. I lose jobs/projects to PHP because of the supply and demand of
developers, period. If my project buyer is considering the hit-by-bus
scenario or otherwise factors into the decision that I might have to be
replaced someday, there are simply more PHP developers available to draw
from the pool. If they think that it will be difficult to find a
replacement, they will opt for the "safer" choice.
2. I lose jobs/prospects to PHP because the hosting options are limited. PHP
is virtually everywhere (Free). For a Lasso site you can either: host it
yourself internally, pay for a dedicated hosted server (more $), or try to
find a Lasso Hosting Partner. Again, the project buyer will often take the
"safe" option where they have more choices and will not feel like a hostage
to a single entity.

I am not saying these problems always exist on every project, but enough
times to make me second-guess myself on the web platform I have chosen to
develop on. I would suspect that others have already stopped doing that and
have already switched languages.

For me as a Lasso developer, I don't think price is an issue. I am willing
to pay for a STABLE, SECURE and DOCUMENTED toolset. Open source solutions
have their own basket of problems inherent in not having a single entity
overseeing the language. I can always build-in the cost of the software into
the budget of a project, it's not THAT expensive.

And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
first started using Lasso in the first place. I understand that FileMaker
has since built PHP into its engines and perhaps turned its back on Lasso,
but I would like to see that marriage rekindled. I do use MySql as well, but
my project buyers are often FileMaker users first, and they are unaware of
Lasso and think built-in PHP is the only option.

Thank you for listening. Long Live Lasso!

Brad Duncan
Sunray Data Solutions
St. Petersburg FL

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Chris Corwin
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
> first started using Lasso in the first place.

I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)

Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?

Are they a silent majority?

Somewhere in the middle?

I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
of 4 hours.

On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
renew/re-improve the FM stuff.

$0.02

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Brian Loomis-3
Still doing a number of projects with it.  We do a lot of Filemaker 6 - 10, 11 conversions for clients.

Brian

On Dec 7, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Brad Lindsay-2
On Dec 7, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)

We have almost completely migrated off of FileMaker, and what few solutions are left are internal to our company and not web based at all so there's no Lasso connection.

Brad
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Marc Pope-2
Brad:

I am not sure if #2 is really vaild. You can get a Virtual Server from almost anywhere running CentOS and install Lasso rather easily. I've installed Lasso even on an Amazon instance. Plus, there's plenty of us out there that host lots of Lasso sites on this list.

You can get basic Lasso hosting for as little as $15 a month if you look around.

Namely:

Point In Space (John May)
Anu.net (Chris Wik)
Falcon Internet (me)

There's many others that do it too.

Sincerely,

Marc Pope
Falcon Internet

On Dec 7, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have been following this thread since the announcement last Friday and it
> seems to me, that after the initial WHEW! and cheers for Tree Frog from the
> developers, we have taken a breath and now face the reality of what's still
> in front of us.
>
> Personally, here are the 2 main problems I face from a marketing standpoint:
> 1. I lose jobs/projects to PHP because of the supply and demand of
> developers, period. If my project buyer is considering the hit-by-bus
> scenario or otherwise factors into the decision that I might have to be
> replaced someday, there are simply more PHP developers available to draw
> from the pool. If they think that it will be difficult to find a
> replacement, they will opt for the "safer" choice.
> 2. I lose jobs/prospects to PHP because the hosting options are limited. PHP
> is virtually everywhere (Free). For a Lasso site you can either: host it
> yourself internally, pay for a dedicated hosted server (more $), or try to
> find a Lasso Hosting Partner. Again, the project buyer will often take the
> "safe" option where they have more choices and will not feel like a hostage
> to a single entity.
>
> I am not saying these problems always exist on every project, but enough
> times to make me second-guess myself on the web platform I have chosen to
> develop on. I would suspect that others have already stopped doing that and
> have already switched languages.
>

> For me as a Lasso developer, I don't think price is an issue. I am willing
> to pay for a STABLE, SECURE and DOCUMENTED toolset. Open source solutions
> have their own basket of problems inherent in not having a single entity
> overseeing the language. I can always build-in the cost of the software into
> the budget of a project, it's not THAT expensive.
>
> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
> first started using Lasso in the first place. I understand that FileMaker
> has since built PHP into its engines and perhaps turned its back on Lasso,
> but I would like to see that marriage rekindled. I do use MySql as well, but
> my project buyers are often FileMaker users first, and they are unaware of
> Lasso and think built-in PHP is the only option.
>
> Thank you for listening. Long Live Lasso!
>
> Brad Duncan
> Sunray Data Solutions
> St. Petersburg FL

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Trevor Borgmeier
I agree.  We have clients that use Filemaker but it's not on the web.
If they want it on the web, it goes into MySQL and we set them up so
they can access the MySQL data directly through FileMaker.  At that
point, FM is really just acting as a GUI for MySQL like Navicat or
Sequel Pro.

Better performance on the web and they can still use the tool (FM) that
they're familiar with.

-Trevor

on 12/7/10 9:54 AM Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to<[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to<[hidden email]>
> Send administrative queries to<[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Neil Enock
Actually the question is not how many Lasso users are 'still' using Filemaker, that is preaching to the converted.

The important question is how many Filemaker Users aren't using Lasso?!

Here is a bold Statement
.. Without the ever-growing Filemaker customer base, there will be NO real growth for Lasso.

Why?

When you try and sell someone using a free open source DB like MySQL a connector that costs vs one that doesn't (php) already has a major strike against it - Its not free.

With Filemaker, you have a client that has invested $$ in getting the fastest database deployment tool that exists to make something go.  When going to the web, it only makes sense they will want a web connector that provides the same - deployment speed and solidity.  If Lasso can once again be positioned to be 'The Solution', then Lasso will grow, as these people have shown they are willing to pay for solutions.

Like most of the people on the list I came to Lasso with Filemaker to solve a problem. I did not hire a developer, I became one.

Today, I still use Filemaker for most things and most clients.  I have watched over the years as Lasso has become more and more developer oriented and less and less friendly to non-developers, people who just want a solution and don't want to overthink things.  I often wonder why anyone new coming in from Filemaker would even try to get going with Lasso, given the fairly steep learning curve compared to the simplicity of Filemaker.

I still think that a LassoLite product geared to Filemaker and other non-developer users, (maybe 'self-develeoper' is a better term), will be key to ANY growth for Lasso. Many of these 'self-developers' will eventually become Lasso Developers, (like most of the people on this list did).

The real question is does Lasso to exist or to grow?  I don't think even TreeFrog can keep it alive without growth.

My $0.02

Neil

--
    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
                       ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print

ph 403.452.5253         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.398.1511         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]

On Dec 7, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Stanley Weber
Hi all

I am one of many (most?) who began using Lasso simply because of FileMaker. I suspect there are many of us still around. I develop solutions only for my school. I have not desire or need to learn MySQL, and do not want to learn PHP.

I will continue to use FileMaker exclusively and I want to continue to use Lasso exclusively; I will do all I can to avoid PHP. MySQL is a non-starter for many do-it-yourselfers.

Stan

Stanley S. Weber, Pharm.D., FASHP, BCPP
Associate Dean for Professional Pharmacy Education
University of Washington
PO Box 354699
Seattle, Washington 98105

[hidden email]
(206) 616-8762 (voice)
(206) 221-2689 (fax)

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Brian K. Middendorf
On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?

When I can't write a solution fast enough, my boss creates a FileMaker database.  Then I:

1) Write a script and interface to connect to the FileMaker database.
2) Eventually convert it all (database and logic) to MySQL/Lasso.

The overall process isn't efficient in terms of resources, but the business needs are met on time.

-brian.

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

bfr00
FileMaker is advancing the platform aggressively and doing very well.

Bruce Robertson

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Doug Noble
on 12/7/10 11:20 AM, Neil Enock at [hidden email] wrote:

> Like most of the people on the list I came to Lasso with Filemaker to solve a
> problem. I did not hire a developer, I became one.
>
> Today, I still use Filemaker for most things and most clients.  I have watched
> over the years as Lasso has become more and more developer oriented and less
> and less friendly to non-developers, people who just want a solution and don't
> want to overthink things.  I often wonder why anyone new coming in from
> Filemaker would even try to get going with Lasso, given the fairly steep
> learning curve compared to the simplicity of Filemaker.

I did not start as a developer either, and don't claim to be one today. I
started in 1996 to build a simple searchable website. The guy that was
hosting my sites back then, Ben Harper at Repraduce, sent me a small, simple
chunk of code to include on my page to interface with Filemaker, and very
basic instructions as to what to do.  I was able with the help of Lasso 1.x
or 2.x, and later mostly the CDML documentation, to create some simple
pages. Back then I spent months building database driven sites with no
income coming in... I can't afford to do that any more.

Over the years we bought our own servers and started a hosting biz. I still
have one server running Lasso 3.6 for legacy clients and I can do simple
changes to those site.

However for the sites I develop and host now, I have a Lasso programmer who
does the work for me with Lasso 8.5, a few Filemaker databases are used
where the client sends them to us to host, but most sites use MySQL.   The
fact is, for me as a non-programmer, the learning curve for later versions
of Lasso has been too great, I am sure I could get the basics if I had time
but don't have much inclination... I attended a couple of developer
conferences in Fort Lauderdale hoping the expertise would rub-off, Miles
even gave me one-on-one coaching, but I never have got very far with 8.5. I
don't have the attention span to get into it, LOL  The promised "beginner
level" documentation that might have helped me has never arrived AFAIK.

When I read on the list about the - to me - esoteric possibilities, I kind
of feel I'm in the wrong place! I am just happy to know that there are guys
out there I can hire when I need developer expertise.

I have lots of "ideas" about sites I'd like to develop, and I would like to
be able to use Lasso but unless the new owners do something to make it more
approachable for the masses, like those who were able to figure out CDML
tags way back, I don't expect it will ever achieve mass appeal again.

--
Doug Noble
ADWEB Services Inc.

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

maxwellk2
I do lots of Lasso/FileMaker development (mixed in with MySQL) here in the SF Bay Area. Anytime I'm mingling with the folks down at FileMaker headquarters I bug them about rekindling their relationship with Lasso. So I echo Brad's sentiments but I'm not sure where that would lead or how that would look. I've only tinkered with Lasso 9, but Lasso 8.5 and the latest FileMaker Server 11 work just as well together as ever, and I would very much like to see that continue.

Many of my clients come to me thru my FileMaker services, but as they grow to trust my development skills they don't really care if it's FileMaker or MySQL or Lasso or PHP, they just want it to work. Most of the time things work perfectly with Lasso and FileMaker, and MySQL is there when FileMaker can't keep up. As a consultant I would be remiss if I didn't provide clients with an explanation of the technologies and options regarding their project, but I've never lost a client because they had to have PHP over Lasso.

Go Lasso!

Thanks,
Max

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Chris Corwin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brad Duncan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And finally, I would like to see an emphasis on building a renewed
>> relationship with FileMaker. Many years ago (12?), FileMaker is the reason I
>> first started using Lasso in the first place.
>
> I would be *super* interested in knowing how common it is for
> LassoSoft customers to to still (?!!?) be using FileMaker (!?!)
>
> Are FileMaker people a small but vocal minority?
>
> Are they a silent majority?
>
> Somewhere in the middle?
>
> I know I will be bummed out if development of better MySQL and
> PostgreSQL connectors came at the expense of making sure the last 20
> people still hooking up to FileMaker can do so in 30 minutes instead
> of 4 hours.
>

> On the other hand, if there really ARE lots of frustrated FileMaker
> devs out there, and it actually does make business sense to
> renew/re-improve the FM stuff.
>
> $0.02

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Truth and Reconciliation

Chris Corwin
i guess i should have realized it was sounding like an invitation to
flood the list with "me too!" about filemaker.

what i was actually *hoping* for, however, was for LassoSoft to take a
look at *actual customer data* and see if they can make a good
decision about priorities regarding databases based on that.

(rather than, say, anecdotes and list noise)

:/