[ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

[ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

Chris Wik-4
Dear Lassoers,

I have written a Webmin module for managing multiple installations of
Lasso 9 ("Sites") on a single server.

Written and tested on CentOS 5, but it *should* also work on OS X.

More info and free download at http://www.cwik.ch/

Contributions in the form of testing, bug reports and improvements are
all very welcome. If there is enough developer interest I'll consider
putting the source in a version control system somewhere so others can
contribute directly.

Chris

--
Chris Wik
Anu Internet Services Ltd

Re: [ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

Ke Carlton-3
Awesome - nice work.

On 5 March 2010 12:35, Chris Wik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Lassoers,
>
> I have written a Webmin module for managing multiple installations of
> Lasso 9 ("Sites") on a single server.
>
> Written and tested on CentOS 5, but it *should* also work on OS X.
>
> More info and free download at http://www.cwik.ch/
>
> Contributions in the form of testing, bug reports and improvements are
> all very welcome. If there is enough developer interest I'll consider
> putting the source in a version control system somewhere so others can
> contribute directly.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Wik
> Anu Internet Services Ltd

Re: [ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

Richard Taubo
Great work Chris, thanks! :-)

Richard Taubo

Re: [ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

Göran Törnquist-2
Fantastic Chris! Thanks

/Göran

On 3/5/10 1:35 PM, Chris Wik wrote:

> Dear Lassoers,
>
> I have written a Webmin module for managing multiple installations of
> Lasso 9 ("Sites") on a single server.
>
> Written and tested on CentOS 5, but it *should* also work on OS X.
>
> More info and free download at http://www.cwik.ch/
>
> Contributions in the form of testing, bug reports and improvements are
> all very welcome. If there is enough developer interest I'll consider
> putting the source in a version control system somewhere so others can
> contribute directly.
>
> Chris

believed to be clean.

Re: [ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

dguardiola

Le 5 mars 10 à 13:35, Chris Wik a écrit :

> Dear Lassoers,
>
> I have written a Webmin module for managing multiple installations of
> Lasso 9 ("Sites") on a single server.

Thanks for this great contribution Chris!

I'm testing it on Mac OSX 10.5 client and I see this error  :

Failed to save Site : Group invalid or out of range

I tried a lot of combinations :
my user name / admin
my user name / staff (my L8 choice)
root / admin
lasso /staff
root /staff
lasso / lasso (default choice)

the other parameters are OK (the site name cannot have a space in it,
right ?)

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: [ANN] Lasso Sites Manager module for Webmin

Chris Wik-4
Hi Dominique,

I've just uploaded a new version to www.cwik.ch which has been tested on
OS X Server 10.6. Many thanks to Peter Bethke for providing a test
server for this.

I think 10.5 is quite similar, so it should work also. There were a lot
more changes than I had imagined, such things as the ps command having
different syntax. Also the code to check for a valid group ID did not
work on OS X, that has been fixed in the new version.

Regarding user and group range: if you look in the module configuration,
you can configure a minimum UID and GID that the server can run under.
It's usually advised not to use an ID < 500 as these are reserved for
system users and groups. The admin and staff groups have IDs of 80 and
20 on my laptop, so those will not be accepted by default. The group
called lasso normally had an id > 500 so that should work fine, or you
can just change the module config to accept the lower group IDs.

Please try out the new version and let me know if you find any bugs!

(you are correct, the site name can't have a space, as it's used in the
naming of things like log files and fastcgi server definition)

Regards,
Chris

On 05.03.10 21:05, Dominique Guardiola wrote:

> Le 5 mars 10 à 13:35, Chris Wik a écrit :
>
>> Dear Lassoers,
>>
>> I have written a Webmin module for managing multiple installations of
>> Lasso 9 ("Sites") on a single server.
>
> Thanks for this great contribution Chris!
>
> I'm testing it on Mac OSX 10.5 client and I see this error  :
>
> Failed to save Site : Group invalid or out of range
>
> I tried a lot of combinations :
> my user name / admin
> my user name / staff (my L8 choice)
> root / admin
> lasso /staff
> root /staff
> lasso / lasso (default choice)
>

> the other parameters are OK (the site name cannot have a space in it,
> right ?)
>

> --
> Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
> • http://www.quinode.fr/
> • Tel : 04.27.86.84.37
> • GSM : 06.15.13.22.27

Chris Wik
Anu Internet Services Ltd

multiple installations of Lasso 9

Jim Sheffer-3
Hey everyone-

I know the folks at Lassosoft are working as hard as they can to get the docs ready, and I appreciate that.

Like many, I am frustrated with the delay.  The frustration comes from knowing there is a great product here, but not having the means to comfortably use it.  If this was an "unknown" product, there wouldn't be so much frustration out there, so I hope many take this as good signpost as to where Lasso 9 is going!

Although I'm not comfortable using it without docs, I do NEED to set up a new server with current Lasso 8.5 sites, as well as the ability to convert (and create) new Lasso 9 sites.

I want to ensure I set up the new server so that I can transition to Lasso 9 when the docs are available.  This means running both instances of Lasso on the same server.

There are several posts on how to do this, which is great (Thanks to all that have posted on this subject).  However, without anything definitive from Lassosoft, I (and I'm sure many others) are not sure of the  "correct" way to do this, especially when it comes to multiple instances (sites) running Lasso 9.  I'm not even sure if this is going to be something that is supported.  I have grown accustomed to running multiple instances of Lasso 8.x for each client we have, which is great - One client cannot crash another client's site due to bad coding, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the best way of going about setting this up.

Right now, we are just going to be running Lasso 8.5 sites on tis new server, so that is not a problem, but I would like to know that how I set things up now will not require a complete "reinstall" later on.

For those of you that have already looked into this, is there a "definitive" way to go about doing this?

I did the following, and for now it will work for what I need - Lasso 8.5 running for current clients:

I installed Lasso 8.5 as a standard install, nothing different than if it were the only version of Lasso running.
I installed Lasso 9 by using the standard installer.

Right now, Lasso 8.5 is running as the default version (I did nothing "extra" in my Apache 2 config file - There is a .conf file for both Lasso 8.5 and Lasso 9 in the "users" folder inside the Apache2 folder on Mac 10.5.

What I "assume" is that I will need to add extra lines to the "virtual hosts" config files if I want a specific site to use Lasso 9 (seems like the perfect way for me).

My questions are these:

Is this the correct way to set up Lasso 8.5 as the default Lasso (Keeping in mind I will start to convert sites to Lasso 9 as time permits)?
What is the "best" way to go about setting up separate instances of Lasso 9, with this way of setup in mind?

Thanks in advance for any input, and although I'm as frustrated as many, thank you Lassosoft for producing a version of Lasso (9) that, although I've had limited use of, seems to be something straight out of George Orwell, but in a way that is going to be truly mind blowing not only to us Lasso users, but I hope to the entire web community!!!

James Sheffer,

The HigherPowered Team!

[hidden email]          [hidden email]
Web Design & Development             http://www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268
 "We help businesses succeed on the web!"