[ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Viaduct Productions

On 16-Mar-09, at 5:56 PM, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> Easy. Since you're a sports man that enjoy riding a bicycle you pack
> your canoe on the bike. Ride to New York. Put the canoe in the
> water. Pack the bike in the canoe. Paddle to Holland (The shortest
> route is over the North Pole). Store the canoe in a deposit box in
> Velsen, ride the bicycle to Amsterdam.

He could bike to Newfoundland, but it's uphill from New York,
according to Google Maps.

> It's like eating a cake.

"Piece of Cake".

> And should you hesitate. Let me remind you that my ex wife crossed
> the Atlantic alone in a small boat. Sure she had sails. But a small
> sail boat or a big canoe. That's about the same. And yes I know the
> question coming. She's still alive and well. Ex does not equal
> drowned.

Vendee Globe just ended.  Round the world alone, no stopping.  c. 100
days.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Marc Vos
On 16 mrt 2009, at 22:58, Jolle Carlestam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Windows Vista...

Hey, no cursing on this list, please!

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Jolle Carlestam-2
16 mar 2009 kl. 18.21 skrev Kerry Adams:

> We hope to see you all in Amsterdam this October.  It will be a time
> remember!

I feel that this thread got somewhat detoured so here's an attempt to
bring it back on the road.

I'm first of all very happy for an LDC that takes place in my own time
zone. On the two Lasso conferences I've attended I spent too much time
trying to stay awake when I should and trying to sleep when I needed.
A general tip for those coming from far away is to give yourself one
or two days extra ahead of the conference to adjust. Amsterdam is a
very nice place to visit as a tourist so it won't be a waste of time.
Unlike Germany they speak god English in Holland and enjoy doing it too.

Further. I don't think Lassosoft would have announced an LDC had they
not been confident that Lasso 9 was available at the time. So now we
have a time frame for when the nine will be upon us. And I really look
forward to that. From the presentations held at the last LDC I know
it's a killer app.

Finally, I really look forward to seing you all!

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Conny Larsson

This is what Lee Hazlewood think about train over Atlantic ;-)

Lee Hazelwood - No Train to Stockholm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bggeCwBR6Y

/Conny

16 mar 2009 kl. 21.44 skrev Jolle Carlestam:

> 16 mar 2009 kl. 20.59 skrev Eric Landmann:
>
>>> The reservations for this will open on April 2nd.
>>>
>>> Look here:
>>> http://www.bahn.de/p/view/buchung/fahrplan_buchung.shtml
>>>
>>> I'm going to be on that train. If there's other travelers I wouldn't
>>> mind an effort to coordinate our tickets so we get cars close by.
>>
>> I can't read it. Everything is spelled wrong.
>
> Ah, an overseas joke. Very funny. Then let me direct you.
> In the upper right part of the screen you see a select menu that
> says "deutsch". That's German for "German". And for the folks from
> the US; german is a language that some people in Europe speaks.
> Europe is a large land mass that's on the other side of the Atlantic
> Ocean. The Atlantic ocean is the big water that's to the right of
> New York.
> If you select the select menu you'll see another choice that reads
> english. If you can't read ask your priest to help you. Anyway,
> select english and by some unknown magic all text on the page will
> be in English. See if you like that spelling better.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Oh, and if you travel from the US to attend the LDC. Going by train
> from Copenhagen is not the optimal route.
>
> HDB
> Jolle

____________________________________
Montania System AB
http://www.montania.se

Conny Larsson

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

It sounds very exciting and a great place for the conference.

For us we would probably need to combine it with some sales activity.
So if anyone knows of some tennis facilities in the "general" area we
would love to contact them.

You can contact me off list.

Deco

16 mar 2009 kl. 23.18 skrev Deco Rior:

> So if anyone knows of some tennis facilities in the "general" area we
> would love to contact them.

Wimbledon, Paris, Båstad? How do we recognize a tennis facility if we
see one?
What's the criteria to make it interesting?

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 3/16/09 at 11:11 PM, [hidden email] (Jolle Carlestam) wrote:

>I feel that this thread got somewhat detoured so here's an
>attempt to bring it back on the road.
>
>I'm first of all very happy for an LDC that takes place in my own time
>zone. On the two Lasso conferences I've attended I spent too much time
>trying to stay awake when I should and trying to sleep when I needed.
>A general tip for those coming from far away is to give yourself one
>or two days extra ahead of the conference to adjust. Amsterdam is a
>very nice place to visit as a tourist so it won't be a waste of time.
>Unlike Germany they speak god English in Holland and enjoy doing it
>too.

We are very excited about it too.  We have nearly as many
customers in Europe as we do in the U.S.  It has been great
seeing so many European customers at our U.S. conferences, but
it is nice to bring the whole show to the other side of the
Atlantic.  I hope that we will be able to meet some users who
were never able to make the trip to previous conferences.

Most of us here at LassoSoft have been to Europe, but I have not
yet had the pleasure.  I'm really looking forward to it.
Amsterdam is a fantastic destination in its own right and is
also just a few hours from other fine destinations if you want
to add a little vacation before or after the conference.
Hopefully, many of our American, Asian, African, Australian, and
Kiwi users will be able to take advantage of this opportunity to
experience Amsterdam as well.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Brian Loomis-3
There used to be an easter egg with swimming directions.

On Mar 16, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> On Monday, March 16, 2009, [hidden email] (Kerry Adams)
> pronounced:
>
>> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for details about the event
>
> I'm in.
>
> Having never traveled to the country of Europe as a Merkin, what is
> the best way to get there?  Google maps doesn't have any driving
> routes.
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Brian Loomis
http://www.virtualrelations.us
(208) 639-2569 - 208 NEW BLOX

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Lars A. Gundersen-2

Den 16. mars. 2009 kl. 23.11 skrev Jolle Carlestam:

> Further. I don't think Lassosoft would have announced an LDC had
> they not been confident that Lasso 9 was available at the time. So
> now we have a time frame for when the nine will be upon us. And I
> really look forward to that. From the presentations held at the last
> LDC I know it's a killer app.

I am not sure I can come yet, but I hope to. Love A'dam.

Today marks my 5 month 'anniversary' for purchasing the Lasso 9
upgrade. I must say I was rather hoping for 9 to be available in a 6
month time frame from Lasso making the pre-sale announcement, which
they did the 16th October.

I am not in the loop in any way, but I get the impression you know
more. I was just hoping for a spring-time release, giving me the
summer to test it out before letting it loose on the production server.
Oh well...

Lars

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Proposed by Deco in another thread here on LassoTalk as a subject for
a session during LDC 2009:

-----

Actually, what the title needs to be is something like:

"Building a bullet-proof API and accessing Remote Services using REST,
SOAP and XML-RPC"

You know, standard stuff like security, file location, error handling,
etc.

Personally, I think that we are being asked more and more to provide
what we do into a "hostile" environment (e.g. another framework). so
we are more likely to deliver the data via a service to another
website. There are some VERY good web tools out there for designing
beautiful websites that Lasso does not/cannot provide, so it is key to
us to do this.

-----

I can fully support this proposal!

/nikolaj

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Lieven Gekiere-2
Starting today, Amsterdam has now streetview images on Google Maps.

It looks like they are rebuilding the place for the LDC2009. Check
this link : http://tinyurl.com/dgu6ru

Lieven

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Kerry Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> transportation, museums, shopping, entertainment, and tourist
> activities.  Visit the Lasso Developer Conference web site,
> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for details about the event
> location, travel discounts, and area hotels.
>
> The four-day conference kicks off with the LassoSoft keynote address on
> the morning of Thursday, October 1st.  The company will showcase the
> latest major version of the various Lasso product lines and will provide
> in-depth briefings about the new technology, as well as insight on the
> latest initiatives and future plans by LassoSoft.  A sponsored welcome
> reception will be held on one of the evenings for all conference
> attendees.  As in previous years, there will also be a VIP event.
>
> The conference will feature organized sessions as well as round tables
> and panels, which encourage a more informal and hands-on approach.
> Presenters and hosts will include individuals from LassoSoft, select
> members of the Lasso Community, and special guest speakers.  Topics that
> are scheduled to be covered include the latest web related technologies,
> web site security, accessibility, and localization, HTML and CSS,
> database optimization, basic Lasso techniques, and more.  A range of
> sessions, round tables and panels will be presented for both new and
> experienced Lasso users alike.  Specific details on sessions, round
> tables and panels will be announced on the LassoSoft web site as they
> become available.
>
> LassoSoft is currently accepting applications for session presenters, as
> well as round table and panel hosts.  To apply, please visit the Lasso
> Developer Conference web site.  New speakers and topics will be
> announced as they are added to the event.  Visit the Lasso Developer
> Conference web site, http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for the
> most up-to-date details on session topics and speaker biographies.
>
> Early registration for Lasso Developer Conference 2009 is only
> $399.00,and Guest passes are $149. We expect to reach our event capacity
> this year, therefore, early registration is strongly encouraged.  After
> the early registration deadline passes (June 30th), the regular price
> for registration will be $499.00 (all prices in US dollar).  Additional
> discounts are available to Lasso Professional Alliance members.  See the
> Lasso Developer Conference web site
> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for registration instructions
> and additional details.
>
> About LassoSoft:
> LassoSoft, LLC is a privately held software development company offering
> cross-platform solutions that for over the past ten years the have made
> it possible for Web developers and businesses of all size to create
> custom, data-driven Web sites without a degree in computer science.
> LassoSoft's software is used by over 1,000 educational institutions and
> more than 15,000 corporations around the world.

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Kerry Adams-2
Heh

Just because the pic became available today, doesn't mean it was
actually taken recently.  AFAIK, they're not working on the building
anymore.

There's a really cool park near my house that's been around for years,
but on GoogleMaps it still shows the renovations that were being done
back in 06-07.

-Kerry

Lieven Gekiere wrote:

> [...]
>> the early registration deadline passes (June 30th), the regular price
>> for registration will be $499.00 (all prices in US dollar).  Additional
>> discounts are available to Lasso Professional Alliance members.  See the
>> Lasso Developer Conference web site
>> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for registration instructions
>> and additional details.
>>
>> About LassoSoft:
>> LassoSoft, LLC is a privately held software development company offering
>> cross-platform solutions that for over the past ten years the have made
>> it possible for Web developers and businesses of all size to create
>> custom, data-driven Web sites without a degree in computer science.
>> LassoSoft's software is used by over 1,000 educational institutions and
>> more than 15,000 corporations around the world.

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

But all that aside, it's really cool to see an city like Amsterdam now
available for Street View.

:-D

-Kerry

Kerry Adams wrote:

> [...]
>>> for registration will be $499.00 (all prices in US dollar).  Additional
>>> discounts are available to Lasso Professional Alliance members.  See the
>>> Lasso Developer Conference web site
>>> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for registration instructions
>>> and additional details.
>>>
>>> About LassoSoft:
>>> LassoSoft, LLC is a privately held software development company offering
>>> cross-platform solutions that for over the past ten years the have made
>>> it possible for Web developers and businesses of all size to create
>>> custom, data-driven Web sites without a degree in computer science.
>>> LassoSoft's software is used by over 1,000 educational institutions and
>>> more than 15,000 corporations around the world.
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Mark Palmer
The UK also got street view in about 25 major cities yesterday. Lots
of talk in the news about privacy issues, but faces and number plates
are blurred.

On 19 Mar 2009, at 19:31, Lieven Gekiere wrote:

> [...]
>> for registration will be $499.00 (all prices in US dollar).
>> Additional
>> discounts are available to Lasso Professional Alliance members.
>> See the
>> Lasso Developer Conference web site
>> http://www.lassosoft.com/Community/LDC/ for registration instructions
>> and additional details.
>>
>> About LassoSoft:
>> LassoSoft, LLC is a privately held software development company
>> offering
>> cross-platform solutions that for over the past ten years the have
>> made
>> it possible for Web developers and businesses of all size to create
>> custom, data-driven Web sites without a degree in computer science.
>> LassoSoft's software is used by over 1,000 educational institutions
>> and
>> more than 15,000 corporations around the world.

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Jonathan Guthrie-5
LOL, but this time I'll not have long hair that makes them think I'm a
courier :)

Might try to skip going via the US for a change... however bringing
wife and kids is the plan so might be nice to swing by Disneyland in
LA on the way back...

On 17/03/2009, at 10:44 AM, Pier Kuipers wrote:

> Jono knows a shortcut via Jamaica, it seems.
> :-)

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Mark Palmer
There's a Disneyland near Paris. Haven't been so no idea how it
compares to the original.

On 20 Mar 2009, at 09:36, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> LOL, but this time I'll not have long hair that makes them think I'm
> a courier :)
>
> Might try to skip going via the US for a change... however bringing
> wife and kids is the plan so might be nice to swing by Disneyland in
> LA on the way back...
>

> On 17/03/2009, at 10:44 AM, Pier Kuipers wrote:
>
>> Jono knows a shortcut via Jamaica, it seems.
>> :-)
>

> Jono
>
> // ---------------------------------------------------------
> /*
>    Jonathan Guthrie
>    xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
>    [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
>    DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890
>
> */
> // ---------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Pier Kuipers
It's colder :-|

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Mark Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's a Disneyland near Paris. Haven't been so no idea how it compares to
> the original.
>
> On 20 Mar 2009, at 09:36, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
>
>> LOL, but this time I'll not have long hair that makes them think I'm a
>> courier :)
>>
>> Might try to skip going via the US for a change... however bringing wife
>> and kids is the plan so might be nice to swing by Disneyland in LA on the
>> way back...
>>

>> On 17/03/2009, at 10:44 AM, Pier Kuipers wrote:
>>
>>> Jono knows a shortcut via Jamaica, it seems.
>>> :-)
>>

>> Jono
>>
>> // ---------------------------------------------------------
>> /*
>>   Jonathan Guthrie
>>   xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
>>   [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
>>   DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890
>>
>> */
>> // ---------------------------------------------------------

> Regards
>
> Mark Palmer
> E: [hidden email]
> T: 01902 620500
> W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Pier Kuipers
Visual ID
Unit S02
Synergy Centre
ITT Tallaght
Dublin 24
Ireland
Tel. +353 1 9022 575
Mobile +353 87 294 3063
Web http://www.visualid.com

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Jolle Carlestam-2
Been there. Haven't seen any else so I can't compare. But with kids in
the right age it's a handful regardless of how it compares to the
original. And a lot closer to Amsterdam than LA...

While in Paris there's also the Cité des sciences et de l'industrie!
It's a science exhibition/museum/exploration centre that's a haven for
kids. And their fathers... (Shame on you prejudice...)
http://www.cite-sciences.fr/english/index.php

Speaking of attractions, I would love to hear from our dutch members
what they recommend to do in Amsterdam with or without family.

20 mar 2009 kl. 10.41 skrev Mark Palmer:

> There's a Disneyland near Paris. Haven't been so no idea how it
> compares to the original.

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

berbercarpet-2
when a freightercruise says that a cabin is:

1.185,00 €

what, in the world, does that mean in, like, real dollars?

i cannot get google to tell me how a number can have a decimal point AND
a comma

  ??

  - chris

Re: [ANN] Lasso Developer Conference 2009

Bil Corry-3
chris corwin wrote on 3/20/2009 10:47 AM:
> when a freightercruise says that a cabin is:
>
> 1.185,00 €
>

> what, in the world, does that mean in, like, real dollars?
>
> i cannot get google to tell me how a number can have a decimal point AND
> a comma

In some countries, the decimal and comma mean the reverse of how they're used in the States.  It'll look more familiar to you if you swap them:

        EU 1,185.00

Roughly USD $1540.00