[ANN] Graphics Finder v. 3.0 Released

Steffan A. Cline
2007-02-01

Graphics Finder v. 3.0 Announced

MADISON, WI -- Landmann InterActive announces today the immediate
availability of version 3.0 of Graphics Finder, a web-based application that
helps users quickly locate, copy, transmit, and manage digital assets in
many popular formats.

Some of the new features for version 3.0 include:

€ Expanded security models, with three commonly-requested types of access
now standard
€ Admin control over categories, keywords, and labels
€ Regenerate thumbnails for an image if source file has been updated
€ Expanded movie filetypes - The system now indexes .mov, .avi, .mp3, .mp4,
.m4a
€ Expanded DTP filetypes - Solidworks files now indexed
€ EXIF and IPTC data captured
€ Navigation enhancements include collapsible panels and contact-sensitive
help system

Standard features also allow the user to:
€ Collect files in a Holding Area for processing
€ E-mail, FTP, or download files direct to user's desktop (no logging onto
server necessary)
€ Burn a CD from a designated workstation
€ Self-maintaining system keeps database up-to-date
€ Files are automatically compressed on the server before processing e-mail
or FTP

The system is designed by graphics professionals, to be used by anybody who
has a need to interact with many graphics files, including design managers,
creative directors, graphic artists, print production personnel, and
marketing departments.

The application runs on Mac OS X servers (other server configurations
available). Three configurations are available, including unbundled
(software only), a turnkey server solution, or as an online application. All
Graphics Finder systems come with a full version of Lasso Professional 8
installed, and utilize a fast MySQL database.

For further information or to try the demo server, see the Graphic Finder
website at http://www.grafxfinder.com/. Dealer inquiries welcome.

Landmann InterActive is a web development firm located in Madison,
Wisconsin, that has been active in specialized web application development
since 1998. It is a division of Landmann Assoc., Inc., a Wisconsin
corporation.

--Regards, Eric
Eric Landmann
Landmann InterActive, 1423 S Park, Madison, WI 53715 USA
Voice 608-257-1558  iChat: landintraktv
Apple Developer Connection Member, Lasso Developer

Re: [ANN] Graphics Finder v. 3.0 Released

Jolle Carlestam
 From a quick peek at the demo it looks very impressive. Congrats to
a good job!

But also with a very hefty price tag. Is it worth all that money?

HDB
JC

[hidden email] wrote on Friday, February 2, 2007:

> From a quick peek at the demo it looks very impressive. Congrats to a good job!
>
>But also with a very hefty price tag. Is it worth all that money?

Thanks!

I guess you could write an ap yourself with all those features, and see how long it takes. But seriously, the competition is several thousand dollars more, and runs on M$ iron, making the TCO even higher still.

Plus it is written largely in Lasso, so it can be integrated into your applications. The other applications out there are not as easily extensible.

--Eric

Re: [ANN] Graphics Finder v. 3.0 Released

Paul Melia

On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote on Friday, February 2, 2007:
>
>> From a quick peek at the demo it looks very impressive. Congrats
>> to a good job!
>>
>> But also with a very hefty price tag. Is it worth all that money?
>
> Thanks!
>
> I guess you could write an ap yourself with all those features, and
> see how long it takes. But seriously, the competition is several
> thousand dollars more, and runs on M$ iron, making the TCO even
> higher still.
>
> Plus it is written largely in Lasso, so it can be integrated into
> your applications. The other applications out there are not as
> easily extensible.
>
> --Eric

At a former job, we "used" Extensis Portfolio, a similar program to
Graphics Finder.
The quotes are intentional because we purchased the $200 version only
to find that it was completely not up to the task we wanted, even
though an Extensis rep had come and recommended that version to us.
It's no fun spending all that time to enter and tag info only to find
that the program fails at serving our needs.

Extensis, and other asset managers, take a FileMaker-like approach
with idea of small local versions, versions for intranets with 10 or
so users, or large corporate versions with large corporate pricetags -
 > http://www.extensis.com/en/products/asset_management/
product_detail.jsp?id=prod60024

Though I have not used Graphics Finder in a corporate setting myself,
I have added to my list of resources and would heartily recommend it
to others.

Just my thoughts,
Paul

Keyword search

Lee Glickenhaus
I know I'm missing something obvious -- but I've looked and can't find the
answer so I turn to the List.....

I want to be able to do a Keyword search like on listsearch.com -- if the
user enters "chicken pasta" I want to find records that contain "chicken" OR
"pasta" in the relevant field.

Somehow I've been unable to do this seemingly basic thing.  LP 8.5, mySQL 5.

TIA

lee

Re: Keyword search

Paul Melia

On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> I know I'm missing something obvious -- but I've looked and can't
> find the
> answer so I turn to the List.....
>
> I want to be able to do a Keyword search like on listsearch.com --
> if the
> user enters "chicken pasta" I want to find records that contain
> "chicken" OR
> "pasta" in the relevant field.
>
> Somehow I've been unable to do this seemingly basic thing.  LP 8.5,
> mySQL 5.
>
> TIA
>
> lee

-SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH
(  [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (  [action_param: users
request]   ) + '\')'

replace all the [square bracket text] with the corresponding info.

FWIW,
Paul

Re: Keyword search

Adam Randall-2
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:26:10 -0500, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
> I know I'm missing something obvious -- but I've looked and can't find the
> answer so I turn to the List.....
>
> I want to be able to do a Keyword search like on listsearch.com -- if the
> user enters "chicken pasta" I want to find records that contain "chicken" OR
> "pasta" in the relevant field.
>
> Somehow I've been unable to do this seemingly basic thing.  LP 8.5, mySQL 5.

In MySQL's documentation, look up full text indexing. It works like this:

        select
                *
        from
                table
        where
                match ('column') against ('chicken pasta', in boolean mode);

You an control this via Lasso's built in lines as well by doing -op = 'FT':

        inline:
                -database = 'db',
                -table = 'tb',
                -op = 'ft',
                'column' = 'chicken pasta',
                -search;

        /inline;

You however can't specify multiple column full text indexes this way. It's better to use the sql method instead, as it will allow you to play around with more relevance scoring techniques. Here's one thing that I do:

        select
                *,
                match ('column') against ('chicken pasta' in boolean mode) as relevance
        from
                table
        where
                match ('column') against ('chicken pasta' in boolean mode);

The above will allow you to see what the relevance score is for the search. If you remove the "in boolean mode" from both parts, you'll get a decimal number instead, but you lose the ability to use the + - * and other boolean operators.

HTH,

Adam.

Adam Randall                                       http://www.xaren.net
[hidden email]                                   AIM/iChat:  blitz574

"Macintosh users are a special case. They care passionately about the
Mac OS and would rewire their own bodies to run on Mac OS X if such a
thing were possible." -- Peter H. Lewis

Re: Keyword search

Lee Glickenhaus
on 2/2/07 9:36 AM, Adam Randall wrote:

> You an control this via Lasso's built in lines as well by doing -op = 'FT':
>
> inline:
> -database = 'db',
> -table = 'tb',
> -op = 'ft',
> 'column' = 'chicken pasta',
> -search;

Adam:  thanks, I actually tried this and it didn't work for me.  But knowing
it's the right approach will send me back to the drawing board with renewed
attention to detail :)

lee

Re: Keyword search

Paul Melia

On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Paul Melia wrote:

> -SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH
> (  [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (  [action_param: users
> request]   ) + '\')'
>
> replace all the [square bracket text] with the corresponding info.
>
> FWIW,
> Paul

I should mention that this is a pretty broad search - if you search
for "ball" and "girl", you will get all of the single word matches
plus matches on "girlfriend" and "baseball".
You can tighten up the search or add extras like sorting on match
percentages by enhancing the SQL statement.

Paul

Re: Keyword search

Steffan A. Cline
> Adam:  thanks, I actually tried this and it didn't work for me.  But knowing
> it's the right approach will send me back to the drawing board with renewed
> attention to detail :)

Are you sure you set up full text index on the field?

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Lee Glickenhaus <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:39:49 -0500
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Keyword search
>
> on 2/2/07 9:36 AM, Adam Randall wrote:
>

>> You an control this via Lasso's built in lines as well by doing -op = 'FT':
>>
>> inline:
>> -database = 'db',
>> -table = 'tb',
>> -op = 'ft',
>> 'column' = 'chicken pasta',
>> -search;
>

> Adam:  thanks, I actually tried this and it didn't work for me.  But knowing
> it's the right approach will send me back to the drawing board with renewed
> attention to detail :)
>
> lee

Re: Keyword search

Brian Loomis-2
use an "against" statement.  just make sure you have multicolumn
indexes in SQL.

Brian

On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:26 AM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> I know I'm missing something obvious -- but I've looked and can't
> find the
> answer so I turn to the List.....
>
> I want to be able to do a Keyword search like on listsearch.com --
> if the
> user enters "chicken pasta" I want to find records that contain
> "chicken" OR
> "pasta" in the relevant field.
>
> Somehow I've been unable to do this seemingly basic thing.  LP 8.5,
> mySQL 5.
>
> TIA
>
> lee

Re: Keyword search

Paul Melia

On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> Adam:  thanks, I actually tried this and it didn't work for me.
> But knowing
> it's the right approach will send me back to the drawing board with
> renewed
> attention to detail :)
>
> lee

Lee,

With MySQL 5.0.3, there have been some nice enhancements to Full-Text
search.
The MySQL manual page on the topic is pretty easy to follow.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html

Enjoy,
Paul

Re: Keyword search

Lee Glickenhaus
on 2/2/07 9:41 AM, Steffan A. Cline wrote:

> Are you sure you set up full text index on the field?
>

> Thanks

Yeah -- I think I just misread the results (ouch).

I see that I can use a SQL statement to limit results to records that
contain BOTH search words (chicken and pasta).  Is there a way to do that
with a Lasso inline (basically make it a "and" search on the search term)?

Re: Keyword search

Adam Randall-2
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:35:03 -0500, Paul Melia wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:
>
>> I know I'm missing something obvious -- but I've looked and can't find the
>> answer so I turn to the List.....
>>
>> I want to be able to do a Keyword search like on listsearch.com -- if the
>> user enters "chicken pasta" I want to find records that contain
>> "chicken" OR
>> "pasta" in the relevant field.
>>
>> Somehow I've been unable to do this seemingly basic thing.  LP 8.5,
>> mySQL 5.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> lee
>
> -SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH (
> [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (  [action_param: users
> request]   ) + '\')'

BTW, this code above should really have encode_sql in it for the action param stuff. Otherwise, it's susceptible to sql injection:

-SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH (  [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (encode_sql:  (action_param: users request)   ) + '\')'

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:53:20 -0500, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> on 2/2/07 9:41 AM, Steffan A. Cline wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you set up full text index on the field?
>>

>> Thanks
>
> Yeah -- I think I just misread the results (ouch).
>
> I see that I can use a SQL statement to limit results to records that
> contain BOTH search words (chicken and pasta).  Is there a way to do that
> with a Lasso inline (basically make it a "and" search on the search term)?

You'd have to use boolean mode, and put + in front of both words:

select * from table where match ('column') against ('+chicken +pasta' in boolean mode);

I'm not sure what -op = 'ft' specifies for the against clause (probably not boolean mode, but I could be wrong)

Adam.

Adam Randall                                       http://www.xaren.net
[hidden email]                                   AIM/iChat:  blitz574

"Macintosh users are a special case. They care passionately about the
Mac OS and would rewire their own bodies to run on Mac OS X if such a
thing were possible." -- Peter H. Lewis

Re: Keyword search

Steffan A. Cline
Try executing it with an action_statement nested in there and it'll tell you
what Lasso is sending.

On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Adam Randall wrote:

> BTW, this code above should really have encode_sql in it for the
> action param stuff. Otherwise, it's susceptible to sql injection:
>
> -SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH
> (  [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (encode_sql:
> (action_param: users request)   ) + '\')'
>
> Adam.

Always good advice!

(In my live version, encode_sql is applied as the action_param is set
to a var and the var is then inserted into the -SQL statement. I also
perform a filter for "unsavory" language)

Paul M.

Re: Keyword search

John Morris-7
How do you guys handle - being a word separator in Full Text Indexes?

I would love to do them more, but a phrase like B-22 or F-17 the
MySQL index thinks there separate words (B 22).
And then they don't get indexed unless you make your server index
length 1 character.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or solution?

Thanks,
John

On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Paul Melia wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Paul Melia wrote:
>
>> -SQL='SELECT [some field]   FROM   [some table] WHERE MATCH
>> (  [target field]   ) AGAINST' + '(\'' + (  [action_param: users
>> request]   ) + '\')'
>>
>> replace all the [square bracket text] with the corresponding info.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Paul
>
> I should mention that this is a pretty broad search - if you search
> for "ball" and "girl", you will get all of the single word matches
> plus matches on "girlfriend" and "baseball".
> You can tighten up the search or add extras like sorting on match
> percentages by enhancing the SQL statement.
>
> Paul

Re: Keyword search

Adam Randall-2
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:13:30 -0600, John Morris wrote:

> How do you guys handle - being a word separator in Full Text Indexes?
>
> I would love to do them more, but a phrase like B-22 or F-17 the
> MySQL index thinks there separate words (B 22).
> And then they don't get indexed unless you make your server index
> length 1 character.
>
> Does anyone else have a similar problem or solution?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I remove the - dynamically, and I built an actual keyword column in my databases that handle these types of words. A lot of the products on our site have hyphens in them, so this helps out greatly.

Adam Randall                                       http://www.xaren.net
[hidden email]                                   AIM/iChat:  blitz574

"Macintosh users are a special case. They care passionately about the
Mac OS and would rewire their own bodies to run on Mac OS X if such a
thing were possible." -- Peter H. Lewis

Re: Keyword search

John Morris-7
So you have your main description field with -'s in it,
Then you populate another field the same as the description field but
remove all the -'s
The search on the second field?

and in the search remove any -'s the user types in?

Thanks
John