A matter of process

French, Shelane
I am dealing with an external API that I access via an include_url call. In my code, I have a protect and handle block for errors. So sometimes I’ll get errors like:

Error from libcurl in tag: Include_URL - 52 - (no message available) (-9953)
Error from libcurl in tag: Include_URL - 35 - SSL connect error (-9953)

These are the two most common errors. I’m wondering as a matter of process, how other people go about detecting these errors and what do you do when you encounter them. I think that I might just like to “retry” the call if there is an error, but I don’t want that to go on indefinitely.

Thoughts?

Re: A matter of process

maxwellk2
Interesting, I just got a few -9953 errors yesterday, "Include_URL - 7 - unable to connect web server". These happen when there's a hiccup with Authorize.Net integration. Not entirely sure what causes them, thankfully they are rare.

I catch these errors using Jason Huck's technique, unfortunately it looks like Jason's blog post is no longer available...

        http://devblog.jasonhuck.com/2007/12/31/error-management-techniques-for-lasso/

…and even more unfortunate Jason doesn't appear to be an active Lasso developer or LassoTalk member. Here's the Internet Archive link:

        https://web.archive.org/web/20160512140023/http://devblog.jasonhuck.com/2007/12/31/error-management-techniques-for-lasso/

On my sandbox and staging sites I let Lasso's standard error page show, but use Jason's technique on production sites. Any time Lasso generates an error I display a friendly page to the visitor that an error has occurred, that the webmaster has been emailed, to go back try again, and contact support if the error persists. Each time the error page is shown I send myself an email that contains all pertinent information; timestamp, client URL, referrer URL, error message and number, error stack, etc. With Authorize.Net errors I also make sure to mask any credit card numbers and CCVs.

Include_URL is the most common reason I get the error emails, otherwise they're triggered when a visitor has figured out how to use a website in a way I haven't tested and accounted for. I rely on the visitor to go back and retry the page, which worked for my Authorize errors yesterday since I can see they were able to complete the payment process, I haven't attempted to automatically retry the Include_URL.

Hope that helps,
Max