A goodbye to Lasso?

French, Shelane
3 months ago my job was significantly changed when the powers at be
decided that my boss needed to be put on a new project in a different
department that his whole team and everything we did would be put under
new management. This new manager has declared that we are no longer going
to be doing Lasso. All of my current applications have to be supported as
they are, but all new applications will "henceforth" be written in Java. I
have really been the lone Lasso developer in a Java house for 14 years. We
justified it by how "small" our apps were and how quickly and efficiently
we could get our apps to production. But the fact that I have had little
to no back up has always made the higher ups very nervous. So, they
they've killed it. I was even told last week that I need put a order
together of how/when my current apps should be converted to Java.
Fortunately for me the timing is that the department has just decided that
moving forward, we will no longer be doing Java apps in ADF, but in the
Play framework. The new infrastructure isn't ready, so I can't move
forward with Java until that is in place (many months from now). I have no
Java experience whatsoever and haven't really been looking forward to
this. My heart has been sadden as I have LOVED my job and LOVED Lasso.

There is one core app I wrote that is core to me. It is how I track my
servers, my errors, my personal notes, what applications I've done. If I
have to run this app on my own computer, I will! It will be a long time
before my server is actually killed - maybe even a few years. But I still
have a plan. I am not going to abandon this list because I still want to
see how Lasso is growing.

Re: A goodbye to Lasso?

Rachel Guthrie
On May 4, 2015, at 3:16 PM, French, Shelane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how quickly and efficiently we could get our apps to production

Thank you Shelane for your wonderful and ongoing contribution to the Lasso community. Your statement above is the testament to the power of Lasso.
It demonstrates being Agile before the word was even part of the web apps lingo.

We share your sorrow at management decisions. We will continue to support you, and wish you many successes in both personal and for profit coding ventures.

We hope that this is only a partial goodbye.

Cheers

Rachel Guthrie

Re: A goodbye to Lasso?

French, Shelane
Found a great example when trying to something in a php script.

Php has no built-in equivalent to

String->beginswith
String->endswith

So simple in Lasso!