9.3.0 on 10.11.2 El Capitan?

Ari Najarian
Hi folks,

  I was dragged kicking and screaming from the comfort and stability of Mavericks all the way forward to El Capitan 10.11.2 today. Surprisingly, my Node and npm packages remained intact, and miraculously, my websites in Server.app and the contents of /etc/hosts were preserved. This is better than I hoped for.

  I’m trying to install Lasso right now, and wanted to configure 9.3.0 on my machine for now so I could begin testing my codebase to support 9.3.1. I downloaded the installer for 9.3.0, which warned me that “This package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install.”

  At which point I stopped to reconsider. I know that El Capitan completely screwed up how Lasso installs itself due to rootless mode, and I wonder whether the install package was ever updated for 10.11, or whether everyone just upgraded to 9.3.1 along with 10.11. I checked on LassoTalk but couldn’t find a clear answer in any of the threads.

  Will 9.3.0 work on 10.11, despite the installation warning? If not, what additional steps will I have to take to get it to work? Is it even possible?

  Pining for my old dev environment,

  Ari.

________________
Ari Najarian
Torusoft
(902) 489-8324
[hidden email]
www.torusoft.com

Re: 9.3.0 on 10.11.2 El Capitan?

Eric Knibbe-2
I made a similar jump a few weeks ago and found it to not be so bad. Unless you're trying to install 9.3.0, which throws that error since it attempts to install to /usr/bin & /usr/sbin & /usr/libexec/apache2, which are all now off-limits as long as SIP is enabled. A summary of the changes are here: http://www.lassotalk.com/Re-El-Capitan.lasso?278116
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐✂‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
Eric3

On 2016-01-19, at 6:23 PM, Ari Najarian wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>  I was dragged kicking and screaming from the comfort and stability of Mavericks all the way forward to El Capitan 10.11.2 today. Surprisingly, my Node and npm packages remained intact, and miraculously, my websites in Server.app and the contents of /etc/hosts were preserved. This is better than I hoped for.
>
>  I’m trying to install Lasso right now, and wanted to configure 9.3.0 on my machine for now so I could begin testing my codebase to support 9.3.1. I downloaded the installer for 9.3.0, which warned me that “This package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install.”
>
>  At which point I stopped to reconsider. I know that El Capitan completely screwed up how Lasso installs itself due to rootless mode, and I wonder whether the install package was ever updated for 10.11, or whether everyone just upgraded to 9.3.1 along with 10.11. I checked on LassoTalk but couldn’t find a clear answer in any of the threads.
>
>  Will 9.3.0 work on 10.11, despite the installation warning? If not, what additional steps will I have to take to get it to work? Is it even possible?
>
>  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Pining for my old dev environment,
>
>  Ari.
>
> ________________
> Ari Najarian
> Torusoft
> (902) 489-8324
> [hidden email]
> www.torusoft.com

Re: 9.3.0 on 10.11.2 El Capitan?

Ari Najarian
Hi Eric,

  I did indeed read through that thread, and that’s why I’m a little confused on where to go from here. Assuming that, for the time being, I *do* want to install 9.3.0 on El Capitan; am I out of luck, because there’s no way to manually move anything into those folders? Was the install package for 9.3.0 ever updated to accommodate SIP? Should I try to disable SIP, run the installer, and then re-enable it afterward? This kind of feels like playing with fire.

  If 9.3.1 is the only stable game in town, then I can try and update my projects one-by-one, but I was really hoping I could do this on a timeline I had some control over.

  From what I read in the thread you linked, the ideal course of action for me is to install 9.3.1, install Java for OS X 2015-001, and update my codebases locally as I discover issues.

  Unless you can suggest any workarounds for getting 9.3.0 working on 10.11, I’ll steel myself for the code migration to 9.3.1.

Re: 9.3.0 on 10.11.2 El Capitan?

maxwellk2
Hi Ari,

This doesn't address your question about 9.3.0 on 10.11.2, but I too was stuck with running 10.11 on my development machine. Confronted with a very short amount of time to get back to work on my Lasso projects I decided to try something that has been solving all kinds of issues of late, virtualization. With the latest version of Parallels v11, I installed Mac OS 10.10, where I knew I could get Apache 2.4, Lasso 8.6, and Lasso 9.2.7 all working again like my original development machine. When the time comes I'll add another VM for testing 9.3.1, but I'll have more time and can try an VM running CentOS 6 to better match my actual production servers. When 9.3.2 and 9.4 come out I'll do the same with new VMs for each.

I've been able to configure the guest Mac OS 10.10 VM under Parallels so it hosts my development websites, but the source files themselves live on my local/Host side of the VM. I just crank up the specific VM when needed and shut it down (or not) when I'm done. Since the source files live on my local system I can edit them with my local editor and run a local browser that hits the VM for testing, plus my backup systems can backup the files when the VM isn't running. I do have Time Machine running in the VM so system and config files are backed up to the Time Machine server running in my office, obviously this works only when the VM is running, but I don't have to backup the whole huge VM file.

Happy to share more specific on the Parallels config if you're interested. The setup has be working really well for a number of months. I can run whatever OS updates Apple wants to cram into my local system without mucking up my VM development sandboxes.

-Max

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 3:48 PM, Ari Najarian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
>  I did indeed read through that thread, and that’s why I’m a little confused on where to go from here. Assuming that, for the time being, I *do* want to install 9.3.0 on El Capitan; am I out of luck, because there’s no way to manually move anything into those folders? Was the install package for 9.3.0 ever updated to accommodate SIP? Should I try to disable SIP, run the installer, and then re-enable it afterward? This kind of feels like playing with fire.
>
>  If 9.3.1 is the only stable game in town, then I can try and update my projects one-by-one, but I was really hoping I could do this on a timeline I had some control over.
>
>  From what I read in the thread you linked, the ideal course of action for me is to install 9.3.1, install Java for OS X 2015-001, and update my codebases locally as I discover issues.
>
>  Unless you can suggest any workarounds for getting 9.3.0 working on 10.11, I’ll steel myself for the code migration to 9.3.1.

Re: 9.3.0 on 10.11.2 El Capitan?

Brad Lindsay
Ari,

As a work around, you could boot into your recovery partition, disable rootless mode, install Lasso 9.3.0, boot back into your recovery partition, and re-enable rootless mode.

Here’s a site with a walkthrough of disabling / enabling it:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

HTH,
Brad