[$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Sean Stephens-2
Blue Hats

In a recent dialogue with a University, I stumbled across a neat site comparing various development languages, their style and rules, through various examples. The site is aptly named after the Rosetta Stone;

http://rosettacode.org

Out of 516 languages Lasso did not appear. Not even once.*

As part of my promise to start a new chapter actively and aggressively promoting Lasso 9 outside of the existing Lasso community, we at LassoSoft made the decision to have some fun this month and see how many examples we could get entered into this system in the shortest amount of time possible. This is a completely third-party site - and we have no reason to pick on them except that Lasso is completely underrepresented as a language in this public forum.

THE CONTEST: LassoSoft will pay $1000 CDN cold hard cash to the individual who best represents us on this website by adding and updating the most examples on this site.

Note that this contest runs for the month of November only.

***The Rules***

- You must follow the rules on RosettaCode.org. Be respectful - it's not our site.
- For every new example you add, you get 5 points. If you dramatically improve (meaningfully less lines of code throughout, significantly faster processing), you get 2 points.
- You need to count your own points. Whosoever claims to have the largest number of points will be manually checked over as the winner.
- The contest runs from this moment to November 30th, at midnight (the month of November).
- The code needs to work in Lasso 9. You can write it in Classic Lasso, but it needs to work in 9.
- If you didn't write it, please don't post it - that's against the laws of copyright. Send it to the person who wrote it to post it or get their permission in writing - that's just plain appropriate and ethical. Or post it with attribution, and don't claim the points.
- This contest is also open to LassoSoft/Treefrog employees (but you do it on your own time, as a matter of fairness). That includes ME (I added "Hello World" already - I'm winning!).
- Once the examples/tasks are complete (692 total), the contest ends, on or before the end of November.
- We will be doing random draws for entries throughout the month for additional prizes. So make sure you post at least one thing!

Hopefully this contest compels you to spend a few minutes playing with Lasso 9 - just for fun.

***How To Use RossettaCode.org***

1) Go to http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reports:Tasks_not_implemented_in_Lasso
2) Find an example you would like to make (use http://www.lassoguide.com as a reference)
3) Find the place your code would fit, and replace the words "LASSO CODE" with your example.

=={{header|Lasso}}==
<lang Lasso>LASSO CODE</lang>

4) Save the page!
5) Add to your points count.

Please - spend a few minutes looking over the list of tasks and adding an example - or a few examples. I'm certain you have some kicking around - you probably don't even need to write them!

Happy Halloween!

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.
http://www.lassosoft.com

* It appears Lasso did exist on the site: with one example. It was just incorrectly created, so it didn't appear in the list.

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Sean Stephens-2
Blue Hats

Some notes from the RosettaCode.org's owner/admin/BDFL Micheal Mol:

> RC *strongly prefers* idiomatic (how would this be written in practice)
> and clear (can someone who didn't write it easily understand it)
> implementations to code golf (fewest symbols/lines/characters possible)
> or obfuscatingly optimized (sure, it's as fast as it could possibly be,
> but only the author can understand it at a glance, if even he) examples.
>
> Optimized solutions in addendum to clear solutions, with accompanying
> explanation, are surely welcome, but code golf is almost universally
> frowned upon.

> I recommend using {{works with}}
> (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Template:Works_with) to make it clear when
> an example will work with Classic Lasso in addition to Lasso 9.)

> * The code needs to work in Lasso 9. You can write it in Classic Lasso,
> but it needs to work in 9.
>
> I recommend using {{works with}}
> (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Template:Works_with) to make it clear when
> an example will work with Classic Lasso in addition to Lasso 9.)

> Also be aware of
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reports:Tasks_not_implemented_in_Lasso#Not_Considered
>
> Adding pages to that list is done with {{omit from}} (
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Template:Omit_from ) .
>
> I point it out because it interacts with the semantics of "once the
> examples/tasks are complete".

Let the games begin!

Rock on!

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.
http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Jolle Carlestam-2
31 okt 2013 kl. 22:25 skrev Sean Stephens <[hidden email]>:

> Blue Hats
>
> In a recent dialogue with a University, I stumbled across a neat site comparing various development languages, their style and rules, through various examples. The site is aptly named after the Rosetta Stone;
>
> http://rosettacode.org
>
> Out of 516 languages Lasso did not appear. Not even once.*

> Please - spend a few minutes looking over the list of tasks and adding an example - or a few examples. I'm certain you have some kicking around - you probably don't even need to write them!

Interesting to see same tasks as implemented in different languages. It strikes me even harder what a nice language Lasso 9 is. We can do all the stuff any other language can, but with cleaner, more efficient, way more understandable code. Just an example:

Applescript:
set str to "ha"
set final_string to ""
repeat 5 times
     set final_string to final_string & str
end repeat

C++:
#include <string>
#include <iostream>

std::string repeat( const std::string &word, int times ) {
   std::string result ;
   result.reserve(times*word.length()); // avoid repeated reallocation
   for ( int a = 0 ; a < times ; a++ )
      result += word ;
   return result ;
}

int main( ) {
   std::cout << repeat( "Ha" , 5 ) << std::endl ;
   return 0 ;
}

PHP:
str_repeat("ha", 5)

Javascript:
String.prototype.repeat = function(n) {
    return new Array(1 + n).join(this);
}

alert("ha".repeat(5));

And Lasso:
'ha'*5

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Ke Carlton-3
Yes, agreed — it's an interesting and productive process.

On the flip side, it may be worth noting down things that Lasso can't do
(or a difficult to do) with Lasso.

For example, I came across a minor one with array:

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Arrays#Lasso

I've created a publicly editable document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnEM0BA4f5QUucNE1vSoWU1SyWyRCcSCkzAjSWyAVgo/edit?usp=sharing

 — maybe that or a wiki entry somewhere would be a good idea? Lassosoft?

Ke

On 1 November 2013 11:28, jolle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting to see same tasks as implemented in different languages. It
> strikes me even harder what a nice language Lasso 9 is.

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Jolle Carlestam-2
31 okt 2013 kl. 22:25 skrev Sean Stephens <[hidden email]>:

> - For every new example you add, you get 5 points. If you dramatically improve (meaningfully less lines of code throughout, significantly faster processing), you get 2 points.

If a task is completed with more than one example does each example count?

Like this one:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Guess_the_number#Lasso
It has an example for Command line and another for Web form.
Is that double or single points?

Slightly OT: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Jewett, Greg
Check out the LOLCODE.   I found this very humous to read.  Wow!

What a very cool site!  ;-)

<?LassoScript

loop(100) => {^
local(root = math_sqrt(loop_count))
local(state = (#root == math_ceil(#root) ? '<strong>open</strong>' | 'closed'))
'Door ' + loop_count + ': ' + #state + '<br>'
^}

?>

HAI 1.3

I HAS A doors ITZ A BUKKIT
IM IN YR hallway UPPIN YR door TIL BOTH SAEM door AN 100
    doors HAS A SRS door ITZ FAIL BTW, INISHULIZE ALL TEH DOORZ AS CLOZD
IM OUTTA YR hallway

IM IN YR hallway UPPIN YR pass TIL BOTH SAEM pass AN 100
    I HAS A door ITZ pass
    IM IN YR passer
        doors'Z SRS door R NOT doors'Z SRS door
        door R SUM OF door AN SUM OF pass AN 1
        DIFFRINT door AN SMALLR OF door AN 99, O RLY?
            YA RLY, GTFO
        OIC
    IM OUTTA YR passer
IM OUTTA YR hallway

IM IN YR printer UPPIN YR door TIL BOTH SAEM door AN 100
    VISIBLE "Door #" SUM OF door AN 1 " is "!
    doors'Z SRS door, O RLY?
        YA RLY, VISIBLE "open."
        NO WAI, VISIBLE "closed."
    OIC
IM OUTTA YR printer

KTHXBYE

________________________________
Greg Jewett
Senior Network and Domain Administrator
Signature Science, LLC
(512) 533-2027  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Save a tree!  Don't print this e-mail unless it's necessary.
Be the Solution!

On Oct 31, 2013, at 04:25 pm, Sean Stephens <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Jolle et al.

> If a task is completed with more than one example does each example count?

According to the site's maintainer (in a personal email);

> RC permits multiple code examples per language-task pair, FYI.

(Though I'll be honest, I can't find a reference to that on the site).

As the primary "goal" of this contest is to increase visibility and understanding of Lasso syntax - it is perfectly acceptable - if not preferable - to add multiple examples. However, one of the specific goals is to get as many comparable examples as possible, as opposed to 100 examples for one "Task".

Ergo, I propose the second example added to a "Task" should be considered an "improvement", and thus gains you 2 points, not 5. I'll add that to the rules on;

http://www.lassosoft.com/lasso-and-rosetta-code

*Also - it is magnificent that there are examples of where Lasso is more elegant than other languages, and other places we can improve. Please - keep those examples coming!

Thanks for requesting the clarification!

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.
http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Tami Williams
I thought that

local(array1) = array('ItemA','ItemB')

should be written like this

local(array1 = array('ItemA','ItemB') )

am I wrong?

On Nov 1, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Ke Carlton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, agreed — it's an interesting and productive process.
>
> On the flip side, it may be worth noting down things that Lasso can't do
> (or a difficult to do) with Lasso.
>
> For example, I came across a minor one with array:
>

> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Arrays#Lasso
>

> I've created a publicly editable document:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnEM0BA4f5QUucNE1vSoWU1SyWyRCcSCkzAjSWyAVgo/edit?usp=sharing
>
> — maybe that or a wiki entry somewhere would be a good idea? Lassosoft?
>
> Ke
>

> On 1 November 2013 11:28, jolle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Interesting to see same tasks as implemented in different languages. It
>> strikes me even harder what a nice language Lasso 9 is.

RE: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Rick Draper-2
As I understand it, it is a matter of preference and perhaps a few micros..

I would always write it as -  local(array1) = array('ItemA','ItemB')

Jolle would always write it as - local(array1 = array('ItemA','ItemB'))

Makes it easy for him to spot my code and stuff that he wrote :-)

I don’t think either is 'wrong'.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Ke Carlton-3
Yes, preference.

If I'm specifying a single local I'll use:

local(x) = array(1,2,3)

If I'm specifying multiple locals I use:

local(
    x = array(1,2,3),
    y = 2
)

I find it syntactically clearer.

Having said that, often I do not specify locals in either manner  —
 they're typically handled by the methods signature or created by query
expressions. This seems to be becoming a more frequent occurance.

Ke

On 1 November 2013 18:47, Tami Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought that
>
> local(array1) = array('ItemA','ItemB')
>
> should be written like this
>

> local(array1 = array('ItemA','ItemB') )
>
> am I wrong?

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Tim Taplin
the basic concept is

local(array1) = array('ItemA', 'ItemB')
        initializes an empty local #array1 and then sets it to the array with items A and B

local(array1 = array('ItemA', 'ItemB'))
        initializes a local array with items A and B

As Rick notes, it may be a few micros in performance, and really comes down to personal preference. Both function just fine.

Tim Taplin

On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I understand it, it is a matter of preference and perhaps a few micros..
>
> I would always write it as -  local(array1) = array('ItemA','ItemB')
>
> Jolle would always write it as - local(array1 = array('ItemA','ItemB'))
>
> Makes it easy for him to spot my code and stuff that he wrote :-)
>
> I don’t think either is 'wrong'.
>
> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Brad Lindsay
One thing to note, locals in lasso 9 have decompositional assignment:

local(x,y) = (:10,15)
// #x now has the integer 10
// #y now has the integer 15

Nifty feature that comes in handy on occasion.

Brad

On 11/1/13, 3:29 PM, Tim Taplin wrote:

> the basic concept is
>
> local(array1) = array('ItemA', 'ItemB')
> initializes an empty local #array1 and then sets it to the array with items A and B
>
> local(array1 = array('ItemA', 'ItemB'))
> initializes a local array with items A and B
>
> As Rick notes, it may be a few micros in performance, and really comes down to personal preference. Both function just fine.
>
> Tim Taplin
>
> On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Rick Draper<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, it is a matter of preference and perhaps a few micros..
>>
>> I would always write it as -  local(array1) = array('ItemA','ItemB')
>>
>> Jolle would always write it as - local(array1 = array('ItemA','ItemB'))
>>
>> Makes it easy for him to spot my code and stuff that he wrote :-)
>>
>> I don’t think either is 'wrong'.
>>
>> Very best regards,
>>
>> Rick

Can I suggest that everyone doesn't include <?lassoscript ... ?> in their
examples?

It just looks messy and no other languages do the equivalent...

Ke

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Sean Stephens-2
Blue Hats

How is everyone coming with examples today? It looks like we have 87 examples already in play (out of 692);

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Lasso

That puts Lasso in the top 100 most popular languages on RosettaCode.org already (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/RC_POP.OUT). Fantastic!

As for the examples - allow me to note that if you get stuck anywhere in the example creation, it wouldn't be against the rules to ask for help on http://stackoverflow.com (or here, for that matter). On the contrary - it only heightens the goal of getting Lasso out there and being noticed.

As it happens - I posted the link on Reddit to the contest;

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1pr6j0/1000_for_contributing_lasso_code_to_rosettacodeorg/

"It looks like somebody saw PHP and decided to clone it."

*sigh* It looks like it gonna be a long road to get Lasso back into vogue. If you are a Redditor - please feel free to add your own comments. I certainly shouldn't be commenting - it's verging on tacky.

Hmmm... maybe Cathy could...

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.
http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Rachel Guthrie
Hi All,

We've had a request from the Administrators who check the code additions to add some rules and clarifications to help make their job easier. As you can understand from the awesome response so far we're fairly hammering their system with new entries.

-----------
Hi guys. I am an administrator on the site and would just like to ask if you could add to your contest rules that contestants do their best to:
        • Take time to understand the task.
        • Give output where requested or where a lot of other examples show output.
        • Check their answers against those of other languages.
Those extra rules would help to maintain the quality of the Rosetta Code site, ease the burden of us administrators, and of course display the Lasso language community in the best light.

:-)

Thanks
----------

I've added this to the contest rules page here: http://www.lassosoft.com/lasso-and-rosetta-code

Happy coding!

Rachel Guthrie
Manager, LassoSoft Inc

linkedin groups: Lasso-2829

On 2013-11-02, at 1:38 PM, Sean Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Blue Hats
>
> How is everyone coming with examples today? It looks like we have 87 examples already in play (out of 692);
>
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Lasso
>
> That puts Lasso in the top 100 most popular languages on RosettaCode.org already (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/RC_POP.OUT). Fantastic!
>
> As for the examples - allow me to note that if you get stuck anywhere in the example creation, it wouldn't be against the rules to ask for help on http://stackoverflow.com (or here, for that matter). On the contrary - it only heightens the goal of getting Lasso out there and being noticed.
>
> As it happens - I posted the link on Reddit to the contest;
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1pr6j0/1000_for_contributing_lasso_code_to_rosettacodeorg/
>
> "It looks like somebody saw PHP and decided to clone it."
>
> *sigh* It looks like it gonna be a long road to get Lasso back into vogue. If you are a Redditor - please feel free to add your own comments. I certainly shouldn't be commenting - it's verging on tacky.
>
> Hmmm... maybe Cathy could...
>
> Sean Stephens
> CEO
> LassoSoft Inc.
> http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

Jonathan Guthrie-3
Another thing - when we're making changes please can we comment on what the change was in the "summary". It's what helps people see what was done rather than guess :)
The same sort of thing as you'd do with SVN or git!

Thanks
Jono

On Nov 3, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Rachel Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We've had a request from the Administrators who check the code additions to add some rules and clarifications to help make their job easier. As you can understand from the awesome response so far we're fairly hammering their system with new entries.
>
> -----------
> Hi guys. I am an administrator on the site and would just like to ask if you could add to your contest rules that contestants do their best to:
> • Take time to understand the task.
> • Give output where requested or where a lot of other examples show output.
> • Check their answers against those of other languages.
> Those extra rules would help to maintain the quality of the Rosetta Code site, ease the burden of us administrators, and of course display the Lasso language community in the best light.
>
> :-)
>
> Thanks
> ----------
>
> I've added this to the contest rules page here: http://www.lassosoft.com/lasso-and-rosetta-code
>
> Happy coding!
>
> Rachel Guthrie
> Manager, LassoSoft Inc
>
> linkedin groups: Lasso-2829
>
> On 2013-11-02, at 1:38 PM, Sean Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Blue Hats
>>
>> How is everyone coming with examples today? It looks like we have 87 examples already in play (out of 692);
>>
>> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Lasso
>>
>> That puts Lasso in the top 100 most popular languages on RosettaCode.org already (http://rosettacode.org/wiki/RC_POP.OUT). Fantastic!
>>
>> As for the examples - allow me to note that if you get stuck anywhere in the example creation, it wouldn't be against the rules to ask for help on http://stackoverflow.com (or here, for that matter). On the contrary - it only heightens the goal of getting Lasso out there and being noticed.
>>
>> As it happens - I posted the link on Reddit to the contest;
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1pr6j0/1000_for_contributing_lasso_code_to_rosettacodeorg/
>>
>> "It looks like somebody saw PHP and decided to clone it."
>>
>> *sigh* It looks like it gonna be a long road to get Lasso back into vogue. If you are a Redditor - please feel free to add your own comments. I certainly shouldn't be commenting - it's verging on tacky.
>>
>> Hmmm... maybe Cathy could...
>>
>> Sean Stephens
>> CEO
>> LassoSoft Inc.
>> http://www.lassosoft.com

Jono

----------------------------
Jonathan Guthrie
[hidden email]
@iamjono
LassoSoft Inc.
AIM Chatroom: lassochat
IRC/freenode #lasso

[$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest] *Rules Update*

Sean Stephens-2
Rosetta Stoners

It would appear that it may or may not be fair to include LassoSoft employees in the RosettaCode.org contest. Although none of them knew about the contest any earlier than anyone else, nor have they used any special documentation or code available to anyone else (LassoGuide was last updated on Nov 1st, by parties who haven't posted examples yet) -  I can appreciate that it may be construed that they have an unfair advantage.

Allow me to point out that this is specifically Jono - who is one of the most prolific and competent developers I have ever met. Once he is in the zone, I agree - it's pretty much unfair to try and compete with him. I certainly didn't ask he and his family to upend themselves from their home in New Zealand and move to Canada because of the balmy weather. He often goes overlooked in our community given that he is part of our team - but let's be clear: he's a programming superstar. The sport of Lasso is lucky to have him.

It reminds me of Wayne Gretzy;

"Wayne was so good that you could have a boy of your own who was a tremendous hockey player, and he'd get overlooked because of what the Gretzky kid was doing." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky

So, instead of the contest being renamed "Try to beat Jono", I'm adding a layer of fairness.

Should a LassoSoft (or Treefrog) employee win the contest, we will still award them $1000 - that is fair, even for work done to date. In addition, the next-best point-scoring non-employee will also win $1000. That way, we continue to achieve the goal of Lasso's much-needed visibility, without intentionally crippling individuals who are willing to put their free time into promoting Lasso while having fun coding: working directly for us or not.

And let me be clear: I will be very, very impressed if someone can beat Jono.

Secondly, in order to open up the game a little (again, making it more fair for everyone involved), I propose some additional point opportunities.

We'll give you an additional 4 points for each of the "Draft Programming Tasks" you complete (adding 106 more examples to the contest);

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Draft_Programming_Tasks

Additionally, we'll up the points for "secondary" examples of how to do things, from 2 points to 3 points. That way, you can add a secondary example to someone else's (As Perl-heads would say "there's more than one way to do it"), even if an example has already been added.

*You don't get points for adding your own secondary example. You can add one, but you don't get points for it. That makes the playing field a little more fair.

Also - given the request by the admins - let's give away points just for making sure we leave their site clean and professional - the best possible representation of Lasso code possible.

So the "updated" points system, in review;

5 points for a first entry in a Task
4 points for a first entry on a Draft Task
3 points for a secondary entry on a Task (or Draft Task)
2 points for cleaning or improving an existing Task Entry's code
1 point for cleaning up or administrating cleanliness on someone else's task (spacing, output, etc.)

*Ergo, the maximum points you can get per task is 5.

Any questions or clarification needed - let me know!

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.
http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest] *Rules Update*

Jolle Carlestam-2
3 nov 2013 kl. 15:06 skrev Sean Stephens <[hidden email]>:

> *You don't get points for adding your own secondary example. You can add one, but you don't get points for it. That makes the playing field a little more fair.

Oh, no! I just lost 2, or was it 3, points!
I will make a stand seeing that those missing points might be the tipping stone that makes me loose in the end.

The one place where I've added two examples were where one example showed how to do it on the command line, the other how to do it in a browser. The quest was to deal with user interaction and thus the need for two different approaches. In some cases (especially user interaction) CLI and browser has so different approaches it could almost be considered different languages. Isn't that worth at least one point? :-)

Re: [$1000 Lasso Rosetta Contest]

David Bergkvist
From what I can see Lasso have now dropped to place 122 with 51 entries. - http://rosettacode.org/wiki/RC_POP.OUT
But out of 500 it's still good I think and given that there is most of November left to go…

/David

3 nov 2013 kl. 16:02 skrev David Bergkvist <[hidden email]>:

> From what I can see Lasso have now dropped to place 122 with 51 entries. -http://rosettacode.org/wiki/RC_POP.OUT
> But out of 500 it's still good I think and given that there is most of November left to go…

Don't undersand their numbers.

On this page it reports 130
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Lasso

"Pages in category "Lasso"

The following 130 pages are in this category, out of 130 total."